Upper Mid-West S2000 Owners Members from the upper mid-west including Michigan, Illinios, Indiana, and Wisconsin

I might be re-locating to Illinois

Old 02-24-2004, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I might be re-locating to Illinois

Hi folks, I was recently offered a position in the Oakbrook Il. area and I am really starting to seriously consider it. I have a lot of unanswered questions that maybe you all can help out with.

Weather? What months are 0-30 degrees, 30-60 degrees and what months are above 60 - 100's?

I am looking at homes in the De-Kalb & Genoa area, is that a really tough commute to Oakbrook?

Cost of living stats ? anyone know where I can research stuff like this?

I'm burnt on California. I'm tired of wasting three hours of my day getting to and from work. I'm tired of the crime. I'm tired of the California Government and high state taxes. I'm tired of the illegal immigrant problem that has infested the area I live in.

Will this move help me?

Thanks to all in advance.

Shawn
Old 02-24-2004, 01:10 PM

Road Rash,

As far as weather goes, give this link a look: http://www.weather.com/weather/climatology...y/monthly/60603

Dekalb to Oakbrook is a pretty "far" commute but not very tough. You're talking about an hour or so each way during rush hour. I would consider the Naperville/Aurora area first as this is much closer and much more appealing.

Check out Yahoo for cost of living stats. I used there site for this sometime ago and it was very helpful.

I think a move will help you immensely as the different seasons here are all wonderful and Chicago is one of the greatest cities in the world.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask anything...
Old 02-24-2004, 02:11 PM

Thank for the replies, and the weather channel link. Nice to see it doesnt go below 20 very often. I think I can adapt to cooler weather. I am getting pretty burnt on long summers here as it is. No fun to drive a convertable around in 110 degree weather.

As for looking in De Kalb and Genoa, the biggest reason I was looking there was the homes themselves, they look brand new and $220,000 - $350,000 for homes like that is unheard of here. Youd be lucky to get an Apt. size home for that much where I live.

I also noticed De Kalb and Genoa are about 50 miles from Oakbrook. Normally 50 miles for me here can be done in 35-40 minutes but then again thats driving 80mph on a freeway. I kind of like the idea of living a little further out but only if the roads are kept open in the winter.

How are the home prices in Aurora/Naperville?? And is it a newer community? I dont want to move to another place where you have to fight a bunch of traffic and 15 stoplights just to go to the grocery store on a Saturday (Yes It Is Really Like That Here)

Are there a lot of new homes being built in your area? If so can you let me know what type/size homes can be boaught for $200,000 - $350,000 range. Lot size is more important than home size.

Looking forward to picking a few brains out your way.

Thanks again
Old 02-24-2004, 04:25 PM

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

Shawn,

Anything $220+ in DeKalb and Genoa will buy you pretty much a mini-mansion. You'll also get a lot of very country living out that way.

My suggestion to you is to look for something more east of there. Geneva, Lisle, West Chicago, Carol Stream, etc.

How much room are you looking for? Are you looking for a townhome, single family, duplex, etc? Aurora is still pretty affordable, however, go into Naperville and a 4 bdrm, 2.5 bthrm, 2 car garage can cost an average of $340k+

If you want to talk about real estate and location more, pm me your number and we'll chat. Also, you may want to see if the compnay will pay for a visit down here. If they do, you should let us know. We can show you around.
Old 02-24-2004, 05:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Your one of the few Cali people that are honest about what its really like there. Thanks for that. PJ and Luder are both correct. The winter here isnt as terrible as many people believe it to be. If your willing to travel to work, you can get a great house for the price your talking. Plus here you'll get a little bit of everything.

http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.p...threadid=185010

Feel free to visit that thread, its a nice abstract of both IL, and Cali.

Old 02-25-2004, 07:22 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

There aren't too many "new" communities in Chicago, so much as there are communities with more or less new construction. Naperville still has some new construction (more than Schaumburg as an example.)

I would look at the Bollingbrook area. It is basically south of Naperville, and there is a TON of new construction. Bollingbrook also relies on the Naperville schools in some areas (Naperville has excellent schools and the property taxes to prove it.)

Depending on where in Oakbrook the job is, try to locate yourself near I55 or I80 and your commute will be pretty easy.

I would advice you to save some of your cash for a winter beater. I know an S can be driven year round with snow tires, but the real issues for me are these:

1. Salt -- They use salt to try and manage the snow on the roads and salt will get ALL over and under your car in a Chicago winter. This is highly destructive to cars. Ever wonder why there are so many classic cars in California, and not in Chicago? Answer: Salt.

2. Idiots -- Sure, you bought snow tires for your S, and you are a careful driver. However that won't help you against the moronic SUV owners that think they can go 100MPH in the snow because they have 4x4.

There are pro's and con's to any place you are going to live. All I can tell you is this: I have had jobs where I have traveled a lot, and I could not imagine myself living anywhere besides Chicagoland. There is just a really cool 'vibe' going on here.
Old 02-25-2004, 08:17 AM

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally posted by ruexp67

There aren't too many "new" communities in Chicago, so much as there are communities with more or less new construction. Naperville still has some new construction (more than Schaumburg as an example.)

Thing about Chicago communities is that, even though the names of the communities aren't changing, the communities themselves are changing. With what type of residences takes place into the new construction and overhaul construction, the demographics and offerings of particular communities in the areas are definitely changing.

I would look at the Bollingbrook area. It is basically south of Naperville, and there is a TON of new construction. Bollingbrook also relies on the Naperville schools in some areas (Naperville has excellent schools and the property taxes to prove it.)

This is a great up and coming area. You'll get a lot of house for what you're looking to spend. Plus your drive won't be as long as coming from DeKalb. Only issue with this area is the hgwy. With such great amounts of growth in the area, the highways clog up quite quickly...though no where near as bad as the 405 near LA.

Depending on where in Oakbrook the job is, try to locate yourself near I55 or I80 and your commute will be pretty easy.

I would advice you to save some of your cash for a winter beater. I know an S can be driven year round with snow tires, but the real issues for me are these:

1. Salt -- They use salt to try and manage the snow on the roads and salt will get ALL over and under your car in a Chicago winter. This is highly destructive to cars. Ever wonder why there are so many classic cars in California, and not in Chicago? Answer: Salt.

Bahhhh....I'm going three years strong on driving the S2000 through summers and winters. Just make sure you clean the car up every once a month. There are many self-wash places that have the automatic under body wash sprayers that I do once a month in winters at a cost of $2 in quarters. Of all the S2000 I've worked on, I've got the same amounts of rust on the suspension components as the non-winter driven S2000's. I have no hint of corrosion on the body, and my BLACK exterior shows better wear than many lighter colored S2000's that see no or little salt.

2. Idiots -- Sure, you bought snow tires for your S, and you are a careful driver. However that won't help you against the moronic SUV owners that think they can go 100MPH in the snow because they have 4x4.

I thought the Chicago soccer moms and business idiots in SUV's were bad, until I had to drive with some in L.A. and Scaremento SUV drivers. They are far WORSE than what Chicago has to offer. I worry more about the early 80's something land boats with rims and feelers driving 80-100 miles an hour on 90 east, or on 290, with seemingly no-insurance type drivers. What made driving worse in LA area with the SUV drivers was that many of them seemed to be yuppy-redneck types in mini-mansion sized SUV's on mobile phones wearing ties and acting like big-shots every where I went!!!

There are pro's and con's to any place you are going to live. All I can tell you is this: I have had jobs where I have traveled a lot, and I could not imagine myself living anywhere besides Chicagoland. There is just a really cool 'vibe' going on here.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:53 AM

I agree with ruexp67 on Bolingbrook. I curently live in Bolingbrook and the area is growing..FAST! You can get some huge homes for the money and the value of the homes in the area keep going up, like 20k a year! Bolingbrook also has easy access to the highways.

I use to work in Oakbrook. I took me about a half hour to make the commute, I worked 7-4. Depending on what time you drive to and from work will greatly impact your driving time. Early morning/evening - 20 mi. = about a 30 min. drive. Late morning/evening - 20 mi. = about a hour or more.
Old 02-28-2004, 11:05 AM

Thank you for the excellent advice guys.

Well I used some of the advice and my work is sending me to Oakbrook for a few days next week to check out the office, area Etc. They need me to make a decision by the end of March.

Some of my deeper concerns now are driving conditions in the winter. Are most roads kept up when it snows? do the roads freeze or get icy?
I'm concerned for my wife and childs safety in the winter. She drives an Explorer (Exploder) and I would like to buy a used full size pickup for winter driving. Will this work?

Well anyway I'll be arriving next Thuirsday and staying through Tuesday to check things out
Old 02-28-2004, 11:08 AM

Oops, almost forgot, we are going to be looking for a 3-4 bedroom home with a three car garage. Large lot would be nice, but not too important. For the first six months I'll probably need to rent a small house or Apt. Whats the average rent for a two bedroom Apt. In the areas you guys mentioned?

Quick Reply: I might be re-locating to Illinois