Upper Mid-West S2000 Owners Members from the upper mid-west including Michigan, Illinios, Indiana, and Wisconsin

Helmet Guide for the Chicago area

Old 04-12-2010, 10:39 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Great info, Pat!

I agree that some autox will allow M rated helmets, but most track day events will NOT. At the end of the day, it's your own head. Who are you cheating if you manage to 'sneak' through with an M helmet anyway?

$300 is cheap insurance to protect your noodle. Replacing the contents of the helmet would cost much more that $300.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm not sure if I've learned anything. My situation is that I don't need an SA helmet for anything, and I need an MA helmet just because I'm taking the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course. I have no intention to take up motorcycle riding; but, I might one day go back to the track, or do an autocross. Meaning that if I bought a helmet, it has to be MA, but I get more out of it if it were SA.

I think I'll just go with the loaner MA helmet for the MSF course and keep my money in my pocket.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:02 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by laurensdejong,Apr 12 2010, 10:51 AM
I'm taking the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course. I have no intention to take up motorcycle riding
Ummm, if you have no intention on riding, maybe you should save money by not taking the MSF class...

Unless you think there's a real danger of needing the MSF course just in case you need to ride a motorcycle for an emergency or spy hunting, Mr. Bond.

No but seriously, the MSF course won't let you use an SA helmet?

I just looked at the MSF site, and it appears to me they only require DOT compliance. SA helmets should be DOT compliant -- at least mine is.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kamron,Apr 12 2010, 11:02 AM
Ummm, if you have no intention on riding, maybe you should save money by not taking the MSF class...
But $25 is good value for a weekend of entertainment when the family's out of town.

I don't know if they would let me ride with an SA helmet; I saw this thread and jumped in. EDIT: Kamron just looked at the MSF website, which solved everything.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:16 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by laurensdejong,Apr 12 2010, 11:15 AM
But $25 is good value for a weekend of entertainment when the family's out of town.
Wow, I didn't know the class was that cheap! I looked into it once and don't remember it being that affordable.

Edit: I'm still suspecting you of being a spy hunter, Laurens.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kamron, the state-run (in IL) MSF course is about $25 (I'm taking it this weekend. ) but similar courses through Harley dealerships or other private parties are $300+.

I knew I was going to start riding, so I got an absolute steal on an M-rated helmet for that, and luckily it will work for AutoX, too (the only motorsport I've done with my car thus-far). If I end up signing up for a track day, I'll get a true SA helmet, but I'd like to wait until 2010 spec.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2) It only happened once, but a chunk of flying tire hit me in the helmet face on track once. Only has to make contact once to ruin my day/life.

Just so no one thinks this doesn't happen.... This past sunday a rock hit my helmet right on the lense. I have a full face (motorcycle) helmet which I definitely recommend. The rock only left a little scratch but I'm guessing it would hurt if it hit me in the face. They are also good for go carting, where they do not let you wear an open face one.

I purchased mine in Chicago Cycle for around 160 after tax, it was one of the cheapest ones, I didn't want to spend too much on it as I bought it when I still wasn't sure if I really will use it. If I were to buy another one now I think I'd get a better one.
I know a few other people who got their there too. Here is the info

3450 W. Touhy Ave.
Lincolnwood, IL 60712
Phone: (847) 763-6900

BTW, great idea Pat, I know when I was buying mine I didn't have many people that I could ask about it so I basically went into the store and bought one.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another buying option - sort of a hybrid between online and local service.

The guy who runs skullmotorsports.com is a local autocrosser named Doug Wasmund. He can get pretty much any helmet, at a good price, and will order in a couple sizes / models to make sure you get the one that fits / you like. He's at: doug@skullmotorsports.com

If you're only going to autox, I think open vs closed face is much less a safety issue and more a personal comfort one. Plenty of national level autocrossers use M rated open face helmets.

If you intend for a "double duty" helmet to also use for track days, then SA is necessary, and usually closed face required.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:50 PM

I noticed several drivers using open faced helmets at Gingerman this past weekend and while some tracks/organizations allow that, I'm glad I got the closed face helmet because there moments where the wind would irritate my eyes. This is not so much of an issue with AutoX, but something to consider for track duty.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:21 PM

Copy and paste from another board:

"Current legal helmets (SCCA is allowing M95's till 12/31/2010)
http://www.scca.com/documents/Solo_Rules/2...on_bulletin.pdf
http://tinyurl.com/yw6ctv

From the 2010 rule book
4.3 DRIVER’S SAFETY EQUIPMENT
4.3.1 Helmets
Helmets meeting the following standards must be worn while on
course:

All helmets meeting the current or two immediately preceding Snell
Foundation standards (SA2005, SA2000, SA95, M2010, M2005,
M2000, M95, K2005, K98), SFI standards 31.1, 41.1, 31.1A, 31.2A,
41.1A, 41.2A or British spec BS6658-85 type A/FR are acceptable."

Quick Reply: Helmet Guide for the Chicago area