Upper Mid-West S2000 Owners Members from the upper mid-west including Michigan, Illinios, Indiana, and Wisconsin

Good Places to eat (N or NW suburbs)

Old 09-19-2005, 02:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

haven't had MCD in almost 2 yrs... while i may own MCD stock, i refuse to subject my physical health to it. foreign MCD are no "oasis". a MCD cheeseburger in Hong Kong makes me wanna barf as much as it does in Chicago. i laughed at american tourists in Parisian MCD. it's epicurean idiocy. Chipotle, obviously, is owned by MCD. my neighborhood (Pilsen) corner rat shack pumps out a better carne asada burrito than anything chipotle can offer... Starbucks + Chipotle == epitome of yuppified gentrification. and i'm republican.

i was speaking of 1 salad from Sweet Tomatoes. believe it's a citrus walnut salad from a month back. and the asian chicken salad is ok. otherwise, i'd also pass on Sweet Tomatoes/Soup Plantation. (btw, AAA members get 10% off @ ST. yes, i'm a CHEAP ASS foodie, a wicked combination... did you know, you can use http://www.restaurant.com coupons at Cafe Laguardia and get frequent flier/cash back rebates from http://www.rewardsnetwork.com ??? )
Old 09-19-2005, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to eat chipotle like 2 years ago... it's really not "unhealthy", just unproportional making it VERY high calorie, but now we are getting into fast food. as for restaurants, I just got back from wildfire and I must say, the service was GREAT! my girlfriend had some type of filet stake with bake sweet potato and I had some chicken breasts and potatoes as well, I also ordered some roasted mushroom heads and I think they were the best part of the dinner! addicting! Since my girlfriend could not decide on dessert, and refused to have any, the waitress brought us a FREE warm chocolate "brownie" type cake with vanilla ice cream and hot fudge poured all over. VERY VERY NICE. I must say, that @ $50 it was WELL worth it, and the waitress did recieve a very generous tip for that gesture.

OT: this is a good thread, we might just keep it going and list some good places to eat (maybe have meets too, I would not mind calling a manager or two asking if you could host some bigger meets a few weeks in advance... maybe a "last-hoorah" pre-winter dinner? )
Old 09-20-2005, 05:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I like Sal & Carvao in schaumburg.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:58 AM

Sounds like a good idea, maybe we can try other places than Houlihans. Although I do like Houlihan's.

Basically what I'm saying is. Sometimes you just don't care about the quality of the food. I know McD's is made of crap, but to me it still tastes good(every so often). To each his own. And I don't go over to Chipotle for Mexican food. I go to Chipotle to eat some Chipotle. For Mexican I hit Fiesta Mexicana in Lincoln Park. That's some good eatin, and the Margarita's are always excellente! Any other mexican joint in Pilsen is also good, for that super greasy taco with corn tortilla. My parents used to own a store in Little Village, so I was always down that way.

Yup. I also used to use restaurant.com, back in the day when you can buy them on ebay for about $1 or $2, I think I had about $500 worth in gift certificates at one time, and I think I had only spent about $45.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by hecash,Sep 19 2005, 12:53 PM
Also at the St. Charles end is Franchines On the River and La ZaZa Trattoria for Italian.
I love ZaZa's

I heard awhile back that they might be forced out by the city, as the city wanted to expand/change the streetside and the buildings around there (including the one ZaZa is in) would be torn down and new ones built.

They have a second rest. up in West Dundee owned by one of the brothers. I've heard they're not as good as the St. Charles location.

I love good, authentic mexican. I have an Hispanic coworker that has steered me to several places she likes, one of which is El Mason in Schaumburg. Great for a quick meal. I also like La Magdalena's on Golf in Hoffman Estates, and that place on Rt25 north of C'ville (don't remember the name). Side note, her mom and dad were up here from Mexico last year, and her mom taught me how to make tortillas the old fashioned way. Absoluteley TDF!!!

How is Todai's ? I've been by their place in Woodfield, but haven't tried them yet.

There's also a new place in Bartlett called TL's Four Seasons. Seems like more of a carryout place but that's not necessarily all bad. I need to get over there one day.

Tom
Old 09-20-2005, 08:14 AM

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

Mexican

ZaZa's in West Dundee gets a big thumbs down from me.

La Magdelana in Schaumburg gets the big thumbs up!!!

El Mason is my dad's favorite.

El Molino, up in C'ville on Rt. 25, has been the favorite for Plyrs3 when he came down from Toronto to visit. It's also one my wife's favorite Mexican restaurants. Another good "burrito-type" of joint that's worth visiting is El Faro #3 (the one on Higgins in West Dundee).

Italian

Just north of Algonquin Rd., on Rt 25, there's a place called Mandile's. They have GREAT Italian food.

Ever since hecash took me to a place called Franchesca's in St. Charles, Ronica and I have been hooked at almost every one of their locations. The one in St. Charles and West Dundee are the two best. The one downtown is not as good, a bit more expensive.

Babaluci's in Schaumburg has some great Italian sandwiches for lunch and some great off-menu dinner specials on Thursday and Saturday nights.

If you want more of an Americana Italian restaurant, Biaggio's in Algonquin can't be beat.

Steaks

Eli's in the city is the best I've had in Illinois...hand's down. You can get the value priced $45 cut, or if you want the perfectly done 14oz mignon, that may set you back $62 (unless the prices have gone up). You won't regret it if you do though.

La Magdelana has a good steak as well for a Mexican restaurant. I really like their fajitas, but their steak is better.

Chicago Prime Rib definitely has better steak than Weber Grill, Mortons, McCormicks, and Outback.

The best "reasonable" steak I've ever had was at another restaurant in Algonquin that specialized in seafood. Bone Fish Grill wins this one.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:01 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad you liked wildfire. All their desserts are great. Don't go there without getting one

While it is a chain, Ruth Chris's Steakhouse is excellent. Northbrook and chicago locations I thnk.

Oh, and McDonald's breakfast rivals that of Walker Brothers (wake up before 10:30 on sunday, grab a sausage egg biscuit with cheese...after 10:30, call some friends up for some french crepes or an apple pancake).
Old 09-20-2005, 09:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

w00t. re: Francesca's in W. Dundee.
agreed. (see my first reply). it's a decent room, decently priced (lunch for 4 $95 all-in, no wine)... probably the best that area can offer at this point. NOT that i know the burbs...

anyhow. restaurant.com's 60% coupon for this week: 39109

enjoy.