Upper Mid-West S2000 Owners Members from the upper mid-west including Michigan, Illinios, Indiana, and Wisconsin

Good Places to eat (N or NW suburbs)

Old 09-19-2005, 10:32 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ToeKneeC,Sep 19 2005, 12:09 PM
and one should exam 'why' most chowhounds... (forget foodies that's really taking it up another level) despise national chains.

you will NEVER, and i really mean NEVER, get the gastronomic experience you deserve with your hard earned dollar at a national level chained restaurant. it's a matter of economics and . when i go into TAC Quick (my fave Thai joint in the city, comparable to "Spoon Thai" / "Sticky Rice"), i see the owner/chef cooking. i see the waitresses/friends and they say 'hi' because they care, not because they're starving for tips. Andy, the Thai restauranteur, puts his menu/his food/reputation on the line. when you go to Grand Lux Cafe, that restaurant manager can't tell the d'frence between peppercorn and coriander. all he cares about is the profit report he sends to LEY at the end of the day. .

hey, i'm a sales guy/capitalist and all, but cooking can not be turned into an SOP. you want authentic creole food? go down to Lagniappes (1525 W. 79th Street), try their hand battered fried chicken and slow-cooked gumbo. it will blow your effing mind.

btw, Chicago has the highest Thai population in this country (right after LA). the quality of Thai food is seriously picking up. read Erik M's (a white dude who learned Tahi just to be able to authentically... a generally damned interesting guy to boot) translated menus here: www.silapaahaan.com then explorer the north side of the city with less $ than you'd need at Ruby Tuesdays...
My only point was that if the food TASTES just as good at a chain, you would still bash it simply because it's a chain. I think cooking CAN be made into an SOP.

See if you can track down an episode of Penn & Teller's Bullshit! from Showtime where they went after "The Best." They did a whole scam where they cooked food for people in a van behind a really nice restraunt using a toaster oven. They served them stale bagles with canned tomatoes and called it brushetta and everyone fauned over it. They served people DOG FOOD and they fauned over it. They served them a $10 bottle of wine. Simply because they thought they were getting the "best" they reacted as if they were.

All I am getting at, is I reccomend places I have been to and liked the food. I don't consider myself a connesuier of anything except beer. (See, I can't even SPELL the freaking word. ) So as long as I enjoyed the food, and the service is good, I'm happy. Many of the chain restraunts are independantly owned and operated so the owner is still very interested in making you feel welcome, and making sure you have a pleasant dining experience. Otherwise, you won't come back and they will lose their livelyhood. Same as a privately owned restraunt.

I can't, well, WON'T pay $100/person for dinner. To me, the private restraunt may be better, but not THAT much better to justify the cost. BTW -- I happen to LIKE the Olive Garden.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by shift_9k,Sep 19 2005, 01:17 PM
you can fake beat me up for a little bit.
You know, beating the crap out of you is not considered foreplay to EVERYONE.

Old 09-19-2005, 10:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Does it for your sister.

Damn we havent done this in a while. Forgot how fun it was.

For the sake of the thread lets take it else where.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by shift_9k,Sep 19 2005, 01:50 PM
Does it for your sister.

Damn we havent done this in a while. Forgot how fun it was.

For the sake of the thread lets take it else where.
Had you ever seen my sister, you would realize how much you just ripped on yourself.

Let's take it to WC.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...f=163&t=322750

done!
Old 09-19-2005, 11:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ruexp67,Sep 19 2005, 10:32 AM
My only point was that if the food TASTES just as good at a chain, you would still bash it simply because it's a chain. I think cooking CAN be made into an SOP.

[snippppped]

I can't, well, WON'T pay $100/person for dinner. To me, the private restraunt may be better, but not THAT much better to justify the cost. BTW -- I happen to LIKE the Olive Garden.
on your 'only point', we, and i'm sure other foodies, will agree to disagree. i like some chains: fatburger, in n out (but fries and shake only), not to mention sweet tomatoes make a KILLER salad... majority of cases tho, chained food does NOT taste as good at the same price break simply because they've ISO9001'd cooking at TGIF. your meal @ OG (Olive Garden, not OLYMPIC GARDEN - your Vegas strip joint reference of the day fulfilled) can be surpassed at a moms n pops joint (not even necessarily a 'hole in the wall'). "Bullshit" can hardly be deemed a scientific study on 'taste buds', yah? if you served me stale bagels, i'd shove it up the maitre'd's arse. anecdote say 50% of Americans thinks they're the best drivers. apply same logic to P&T's show results.

as far as $100/pp meal..well... i mean... that's really your loss and prerogative some ppl refuse to buy $30K sports cars.. i mean.. you know...

ps. foodies, go rent 'tampopo' on DVD... it's a riot.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by ToeKneeC,Sep 19 2005, 02:33 PM
on your 'only point', we, and i'm sure other foodies, will agree to disagree.

Fair enough.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haven't seen it mentioned, so I'll sugest Babaluci on Golf Rd. in Hoffman Estates (http://metromix.chicagotribune.com/s...,2719383.venue). Pretty good Italian restaurant.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by ToeKneeC,Sep 19 2005, 11:33 AM
on your 'only point', we, and i'm sure other foodies, will agree to disagree. i like some chains: fatburger, in n out (but fries and shake only), not to mention sweet tomatoes make a KILLER salad... majority of cases tho, chained food does NOT taste as good at the same price break simply because they've ISO9001'd cooking at TGIF. your meal @ OG (Olive Garden, not OLYMPIC GARDEN - your Vegas strip joint reference of the day fulfilled) can be surpassed at a moms n pops joint (not even necessarily a 'hole in the wall'). "Bullshit" can hardly be deemed a scientific study on 'taste buds', yah? if you served me stale bagels, i'd shove it up the maitre'd's arse. anecdote say 50% of Americans thinks they're the best drivers. apply same logic to P&T's show results.

as far as $100/pp meal..well... i mean... that's really your loss and prerogative some ppl refuse to buy $30K sports cars.. i mean.. you know...

ps. foodies, go rent 'tampopo' on DVD... it's a riot.
Ahh, now here is where we shall disagree. Sweet tomatoes, while decent for $7.69 a person(with coupon from Sunday's paper of course), and definitely good for the price. Does not taste all that great. Their pasta is almost always blan, mac and cheese is very watery, soups are decent, specialty salads are usually drenched in dressing, but it is pretty hard to mess up a regular salad bar.

There is a time and place for every single restaurant out there. It all depends on your mood, bank account, and your date. not to mention your taste buds, they may overtake all three.

I Love my Jimmy Johns and Chipotle

I can eat a seafood feast at Red Lobster or Bob Chinns and enjoy both equally

I'll take my steak from IHOP at 3 AM and scarf it down and enjoy it just as I would from my $70 from Mortons

And I'll take my $27 Sushi Buffett at Todai and eat my super dragon rolls at the trendiest sushi spots.

However, I will not pay top $$$ for crappy food. Well I have. And I don't go back. But the fact is chains are popular for a reason, and that is simply consistency. When you walk into a McD's you expect a Big Mac to taste like a Big Mac. I tried this when on a Business trip in Japan. After being wined and dined on all kinds of interesting creatures of the sea for 10 days we had just about had it, me and my co-workers "stumbled" upon the oasis they called McDonalds. We demanded a round of Big Macs, and guess what. They tasted exactly like Big Macs.

Sure there is always better and better. But a good franchise keeps business rolling by offering food that tastes at least decent, and usually at a decent price. Which is the main reason I suggested many of what I did.

I can enjoy a 99 cent double cheeseburger from McDonalds just as much as a $200 rare sea clam (1 clam) I had in Japan (although I didn't pay for it)

my .02 cents

If anyone wants any more info about the places I mentioned just lemme know.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:20 PM

i'm probably going to end up at wildfire in schaumburg... i have talked to alot of people at my gym, and they all say it's some really great steak. either that or go to a houlihan's

Quick Reply: Good Places to eat (N or NW suburbs)