Upper Mid-West S2000 Owners Members from the upper mid-west including Michigan, Illinios, Indiana, and Wisconsin

Good hand car wash North of Chicago?

Old 12-10-2005, 05:14 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by tcho82,Dec 10 2005, 12:03 PM
Price?
Call them.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I go to Lucky's car wash in Skokie. they do a good job.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:55 PM
BNB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Deathscythe,Dec 10 2005, 07:19 PM
I go to Lucky's car wash in Skokie. they do a good job.
When they had the old owners Lucky's was the ONLY place to be.

They are under new ownership now and the place is
Old 12-16-2005, 07:49 AM

I just go to the local buggy wash and insert my 7 quarters and use the high pressure soap but from a distance and "indirectly", then slect the spot free rinse. (I never pressure wash the top) I usually just "mist " it.
As for drying, I let the cool breeze do that.

It gets the salt off and I know in 3 days it will need it again. IMO, I think it is useless and a waste of $$$ to be paying big bucks for wahings in the winter. Get enough to get the salt off, not to see your reflection in the car.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there are several hand wash joints in the city (not helpful for tom but...)

Mexican place 1):
on Cermak, 1 block west of Western. North side of the street. $10 for hand wash, no high power washes apparent (i believe tcho knows of this place as well)

Mexican plcae 2):
3100 S. Ashland, on the west side of Ashland, 2 doors south of Archer. $9 for converitbles

Algerian place:
1708 Ashland, west side of street, north 18th. $8-9? aka LOFA Auto Glass Windows. they use a garden hose. so you're definitely safe from the high pressure

more professional place:
18th St, just east of Western. $12ish. all hand wash as well.

these are not helpful for peeps in the burbs, but... hopefuly someone in the city will find them beneficial.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:01 PM

Thanks for looking out for us city ppl, Tony!
Old 12-16-2005, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by ToeKneeC,Dec 16 2005, 02:57 PM
there are several hand wash joints in the city (not helpful for tom but...)

Mexican place 1):
on Cermak, 1 block west of Western. North side of the street. $10 for hand wash, no high power washes apparent (i believe tcho knows of this place as well)

Algerian place:
on Ashland, west side of street, north 18th. $8? they use a garden hose. so you're definitely safe from the high pressure

more professional place:
18th St, just east of Western. $12ish. all hand wash as well.

these are not helpful for peeps in the burbs, but... hopefuly someone in the city will find them beneficial.
know of any other places in the city up north a bit? like lincoln park, lakeview area?
Old 12-16-2005, 01:49 PM

^ yes...

uhm... there's one.. on Kimball? or California? and something something? in Ravenswood? on the way to Semiramis... wow, that was REALLY helpful. uhm.. yah.. i dunno. if i drive by it this wknd, i'll post up the addy...

but seriously, you want affordable handwashing in LP?
do you know how EXPENSIVE real estate is in LP? but of course you do! so the theory goes: if you can live in LP w/ a car, you can afford the "Turtle" carwash at $25/pop ...

to city living. allan, you should have a buncha handwashing places really close to you too, no?
Old 12-16-2005, 02:05 PM

haha, well i'm renting, and it's definitely what you would call a "vintage" place. and i'm in lakeview...so not as expensive as lincoln park. there's places by work i go to for like $10, but lately i've been leaving pretty late and they're all closed by the time i get out.

i wasn't necessarily asking for the cheapest place...but shouldn't anyone w/an s2k be able to afford this turtle carwash you wrote about? hey well if you do happen to find out the address, post it -- i'd probably check it out, thanks.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:11 PM

^ if you're in Lakeview, how come we haven't seen your ass in any of the city foodie meets?? hunh hunh??

the "turtle wax"wash is on division, right in front of Sangria Restaurant, in the Weed Street District. which also is close to VIP strip club... we should have a city strip club meet... i believe that place is STILL machine wash + hand dry tho...

Quick Reply: Good hand car wash North of Chicago?