Upper Mid-West S2000 Owners Members from the upper mid-west including Michigan, Illinios, Indiana, and Wisconsin

Extremely Important Question for the So Cal Guy

Old 01-01-2005, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extremely Important Question for the So Cal Guy

Hey everyone, I recently posted that thread about my promotion and having to move to Wisconsin. I desperately need to know whether I will be able to keep my S as my primary driving car in Waukesha. How does the top react to getting snow on it and water in freezing temps? Obviously a hard top would be a good idea, but is it necessary? I plan to buy a winter beater but it might take me some time to do that. I need to know soon so I can make the decision to get rid of the S and buy another car if need be. I plan to live very close to my place of work and occasionally I will have to drive to various auto dealerships in Wisconsin. I also plan to invest in some high end snow tires. Thanks!!

Thanks so much in advance for all of your help, I have never lived in a climate such as this.
Old 01-01-2005, 03:04 PM

I wouldn't drive the S around here during winter, not because of the wear and tear on the top, but for safety. Our rear-wheel drive cars are notorious for traction in the snow and rain. Get some A+ winter tires as a precautionary step prior to driving.
Old 01-02-2005, 12:38 PM

When I lived in WI I did not drive my S2000 in the winters. I got caught in an ice storm in April a few years back and it was almost a disaster. I would recommend skipping the hardtop for now if money is tight and spending $500-$1000 on a winter beater. Either that or try the snow tires and see how that works!
Old 01-04-2005, 01:36 PM

I've driven mine about 2-3 days in the last month. Road salt scares me. I see cars around here that are 4-5 years old and all the fenders are rusted. Paint is falling off too.

But then again a lot of people told me not to worry about the salt as long as you rinse the underside and fenders reguarly. I'm still undecided so my car stays in the garage.

You will be fine in low temperatures as long as its not freezing rain or heavy snow and you drive carefully - no V-Tec in the cold

As for the winter snow driving - last time it snowed heavy I had a hell of a time with my heavy ass Ford Explorer. Even with 31 inch BFG snow tires I barely had any traction when accelerating slowly from a stop. I have never driven in heavy snow w/o chains before so maybe theres a techniqe I have yet to master.

I'm not trying to discourage you, I am glad I moved here. I love it so far. But depending on how you feel about road salt and the future effects of it on your undercarrage is going to determine wether or not you drive the S or buy a $1000 beater for the winter.

Hope that helps some.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:00 PM

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

People do it all the time with RWD cars, although this car is much wilder and minus the traction control that even V6 Mustangs have..
You will need full tread winter tires to be safe. Dunlop Graspic2 if money is tight or Blizzak WS-50s are preferred.

Tires change the personality of this car completely.

Other than that if you can live with getting salt and sludge caked onto everything, and rusty underbody parts the car will be fine.

I knew right off the bat, that I would have a second car and the S2000 would never see a winter.

If you can find a beater, do it. It will save you a lot of headache.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:01 PM

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

Also I did this on my other hondas this winter, I had the car re-aligned to give the front and rear more neutral camber, and a bit more toe-in set in the back. That may also be a good 75$ investment for you to keep the car glued down.
Old 01-06-2005, 05:17 AM

People have been driving rear drive cars in the snow for decades now, especially when that was the only thing available. My Mom has even owed rear drivers and if she can do it anyone can!

My dad always talks about the cars he drove through the winter, when people complain about how bad there all season cars are in the snow:

These are the ones I know of:
1965 Mustang Convertible
1970 Cuda 340 (Drag Pack)
1977 Corvette
Some buick (not worth remembering)
1984 Thunderbird
1995 Supra
2002 CLK (basically drives itself)

*he did have some FWDers in there also.

* he never used snow tires and said it was no problem except for a few cases of white knuckles.

I personally have driven many rear drive cars in winter and enjoy it (my S has not seen snow yet). I definitly would invest in some snow tires, it is amazing what they can make a car do. I have heard nothing but good things about the S in the winter, but only with some snow tires. Good luck and keep the S!
Old 01-06-2005, 06:13 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

It's not just about RWD vs. FWD vs. AWD.

Those cars listed weight a LOT more than the S2000, which helps traction. They have a lot of low end torque which can help to "idle" out of rough spots. To get to the same level with the S2000 you will rev higher and tend to cause more wheelspin.

The S2000 tends to oversteer more than even all those muscle cars. My Trans Am tends to understeer, it's just easy to correct with some added throttle if I want to. The point is that the S CAN be driven in snow, but there IS more to it than the average muscle car.

One more issue. While the government HAS gotten better at clearing and salting the roads there are a LOT more cars out there. Especially Soccer Moms with big-ass SUVs that think their 2WD Explorer is a snowmobile. It's more dangerous out there now than in, say, the 70's.

As to snow tires, the S02 tire on an S2000 gets VERY VERY hard when it gets cold. This cause SEVER loss of traction. The S02 is a warm/dry weather tire.

All that said, you can get around in an S2000 fairly well in the snow if properly prepared. The salt will cause rust if not removed once the salt warms up. Wiping the snow off your car can cause swirl marks and fine scratches in the finish, so if you can park out of the snow you will be better off.

I don't use my S2000 in the winter, but I know others that have. It can be done if you have no other choices. I would think you could limp through this winter, then save your pennies for a beater for next year.

JMHO
Old 01-07-2005, 10:25 AM

You should be fine with a decent set of snow tires on the car. If you are looking for a beater, depending on how much you want to spend, I might be able to help you with that one since I work at a dealership, and have two others I can take inventory from. When do you plan on moving up here? If it is not until feb or march, you definitely should be fine. If it is next week, you may want to consider the snows right away. I know Jim at TireRack can set you up with a good deal on wheels and snows. I think last time I called it was about 1300 for the total package with Blizzak LM22's which is what a lot of owners reccommend and use on the S.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I live in wisconsin, along with Johnny S2k. we both live in the greater milwaukee area.

I drive my S2000 year round. I bought Nokian WR winter tires all around for a total of about $700 for the tires.

I have NO problem driving my S2000 in snow and ice. the winter tires make it like day and night vs the stock SO2's. We recently had an ice storm, in which I had to drive through milwaukee and some distance up north and never once had a problem. The car tends to understeer if anything. Just take it slow, don't push it, and you'll be fine. You drive it like you drive any car in the snow.... slow and steady. The winter tires give great traction in snow and ice.

We also recently had a snow storm and got a good 7 inches of snow dumped on us, and again, I had to drive it through all of that snow. I even got plowed in, and had a good 1.5 foot snow bank behind my car. I brushed the snow off the car, got in, and the winter tires took me right through the snow bank no problem.

As for the top, it handles ice and snow just great. We had times where temps dropped into the negative teens (-10 or worse) and the car does well here too. The top does not leak, doesn't let cold air in, and the car warms up quite quickly. Even in the coldest weather, the vents start pouring out warm air within minutes. I also do not use a block heater, and my car is parked outside all season long, since I have no garage.

Get the winter tires, and don't even think twice about it. She can take it, and she'll just keep smilin. ice, snow, cold, whatever. the tires are all the difference.

Quick Reply: Extremely Important Question for the So Cal Guy