Upper Mid-West S2000 Owners Members from the upper mid-west including Michigan, Illinios, Indiana, and Wisconsin

Chicago area dealership service

Old 05-02-2007, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Chicago area dealership service

Hello all,

I got my S2000 (06 red) a couple of days ago. The day after I brought it home it developed a crunching sound when shifting into 2nd gear . 3rd gear also feels very notchy. 1st, 4th, 5th, 6th, and R are fine. I've been driving stick for 10 years and have driven lots of manuals. I know this isn't something I caused. The 2nd gear crunch is definitely worse when first driving, but doesn't go away after the trans warms up. The day after I bought the car the weather got cooler, so it probably made it more noticeable.

Before I take it to the dealership (Grand Honda) I want to ask if anyone has any experience with dealership service depts around Chicago. This is my first Honda so I'm not familiar with them. I'll drive further away if I know I'm going to a competent service dept.

I'm probably going to go to a transmission shop to have them check on it before I go the dealer. That way I know what's going on and am in a better position to disagree if the dealer says "uummmm, gee....that's normal." Hopefully, I can find a dealer that'll at least look into since the car is new and under warranty.

Thank you in advance for any info you guys can provide. Hopefully this won't prevent me from enjoying this car for many years.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:39 AM

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

I'd switch out trans fluid first and then see if the crunch lessens, or is the same.

If it's still the same, my preferred Honda dealership to have work on my S2000 done is Motorwerks Barrington (if you do, talk to Ed Wong and tell him Urmil sent you).

Schaumburg Honda is good, but I'd only let the Honda Master tech named "Chris Pummis" (sp?) work on the car. I haven't gone to them with my S2000 in over 5 years.

I've heard good things about O'Hare Honda's service dept., it's just that you don't want to buy a car from their sales dept.

Other than that, if there's nothing that the Honda dealership can do within warranty, we do have a couple of master mechanics that specialize in S2000's on this board (namely "HondaManWill" and "profpin").

Hope this helps, and let us know what comes of this. Also, hope to see you around some of the S2000 meets this Spring/Summer.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:49 AM

Muller Honda has some good guys there, I went to Pauly Honda where the service advisor was awesome. They would call in a tech that works on S2000's for multiple dealerships in the area. They would not just give it to any available tech for the day.

I would stay far far away from castle honda.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:42 PM

Thanks for suggestions, much appreciated. I probably won't have time to do much this week, but I'll update you when I find something out.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:39 PM

O'Hare Honda's (River road & Oakton, Des Plaines) service does pretty well. As a porter / Service Advisor there I've seen many satisfied customers. Our Service Manager (my boss) is an awesome guy, very friendly. I'm not plugging or anything... I would trust any of the techs there to work on my s2k.

I have no comment about our Sales Dept. though. =X

If you decide to come by us, make sure you holler at me (Marlon).
Old 05-04-2007, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by tcho82,May 3 2007, 08:49 AM
Muller Honda has some good guys there, I went to Pauly Honda where the service advisor was awesome. They would call in a tech that works on S2000's for multiple dealerships in the area. They would not just give it to any available tech for the day.

I would stay far far away from castle honda.
STAY AWAY from Muller Honda

To avoid any libel lawsuits I will not relate what these clowns did to my car.

Stay far far away
Old 05-04-2007, 12:28 PM

Interesting. I never had any problems with Muller, but then again I only brought my Accord there. Didn't have my S at the time.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:05 PM

I'll give a thumbs up to Valley Honda in Aurora. I've only had some oil changed there, but they have a top notch waiting room with complimentary laptops and Starbucks coffee so you can keep up on your s2ki reading...

Otherwise the service advisers I've worked with atleast seemed knowledgeable about the S2000.

I had a bad experience with the Community Honda service department (sales is a different story) at my first oil change. They decided not to retorque the drain bolt after changing the oil and about 30 miles later it backed itself out and dumped 5.5 qts. of oil in a Jewel parking lot.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:15 AM

I can also recommend Vally Honda in Aurora, based on this experience.

My instrument cluster went wacky, nearly every reading was at "zero" or moving wildly, but the car itself seemed fine otherwise.

I took it in to them and they stated a couple wires were cut, apparently from a road hazard. Yet they fixed it for free. So either they had excellent customer service and fixed a non-warranty issue for free or they lied about the diagnosis and it was in fact a warranty issue. From their demeanor I think it was the first and not the second.

It did take over a week to fix, but they stated that it was due to needing an uncommonly needed wiring harness/piece.

On a couple other service visits (reg. maintenance) they have been on time, professional and I tend to trust them at this point.

Of course your issue is not anything like mine, but it seems they are an OK bunch of people there, for what that is worth.