Upper Mid-West S2000 Owners Members from the upper mid-west including Michigan, Illinios, Indiana, and Wisconsin

Car wash in the winter?

Old 01-03-2010, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ap1chick,Jan 2 2010, 03:50 AM
For the last 4 winters I've always went to the $15-$20, indoor hand car washes.
[QUOTE=K1ngfunK,Jan 2 2010, 01:39 PM]I went to a local heated, indoor hand-wash that always seemed to do a very good and careful job.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:33 PM

I used to go to auto expo detailing in Libertyville IL all the time in the winter. They try to dry off the entire car indoors before it comes out the other end. It is a hand wash, but gets pulled along on a track. The track has never scratched my rims. I took my S2K's here and my Lexus' here all the time in the winter. You obviously can't get every nook and cranny dry at a car wash, but they do a great job getting what they can. I've always recommended this place to everyone I know, and I even just wrote up a yelp review because I was reminded by your post. not exactly close to you though, but a bit closer than crystal lake... just a bit.

So glad I'm back in 60 degree weather and not 6...

You can google them, they are on Park Ave (176) in Libertyville.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:54 PM

Yeah x2 for auto expo, great place, but I hear its under new owners... don't really know how I feel about it... The last guy really believed it was quality first then money second (they made plenty of it cuz a lot of the bears players get their shit washed almost daily there)
Old 01-03-2010, 10:17 PM

really? when did it get under new ownership. I haven't been there in maybe 2-3 years. That's a shame if the quality changed. I met the previous owner and he was a great guy to shoot the breeze with. Complemented my S quite a few times when I was there, even though Porsches and BMWs drove through everyday.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by tcho82,Jan 4 2010, 02:17 AM
really? when did it get under new ownership. I haven't been there in maybe 2-3 years. That's a shame if the quality changed. I met the previous owner and he was a great guy to shoot the breeze with. Complemented my S quite a few times when I was there, even though Porsches and BMWs drove through everyday.
Yeah like two years ago he was talking about selling it, he said it was too much head ache and he just wanted to retire... But I duno if its for sure... Just haven't seen him the last few times i've been there (like 3 or 4 over the last 8 months)
Old 01-04-2010, 06:17 AM

I'm not a fan of Auto Expo, I went there once and I wasn't impressed with their service. They missed a few spots and rushed through the wash, and besides, what's the point of going to a hand car wash when they pull your car along on a track? Unfortunately, this is pretty much the only option you have for a hand car was in the area there.

rahvis - there are plently of better options in the city. I usually go to River West Hand Car Wash or We Wash III - both are located near Halsted and Milwaukee. It's not uncommon to see the line of Lamborghini's, Ferrari's and Bentley's lined up outside, so if it's good enough for them, then I'm going to say it's good enough for my car as well.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:08 AM

Awesome. Thanks for the tips everyone!
Old 01-04-2010, 12:59 PM

Fast Eddie's on Damen and Webster has always been good to me. Took my S there once in the summer only. But I have been a long time customer of them when I lived up north. Under new owners but the same employees are working there. There is a place on 21st and Halstead that does a hand wash and they have a undercarriage spray also. They did pretty good when I took my truck there.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris S2K,Jan 4 2010, 09:17 AM
rahvis - there are plently of better options in the city. I usually go to River West Hand Car Wash or We Wash III - both are located near Halsted and Milwaukee. It's not uncommon to see the line of Lamborghini's, Ferrari's and Bentley's lined up outside, so if it's good enough for them, then I'm going to say it's good enough for my car as well.
While I haven't gone to "III", the We Wash on Halsted and 20th is my usual spot.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think anyone has covered this yet (please correct me if I've missed something while skimming through) but something that hand washing does not cover is an underbody flush. For those who drive their car in the winter, your underbody gets coated with salt-grime. It's a very easy thing to miss as you never ever look at it unless you change your own oil.

Now, I understand that a lot of cars have a thick protectant coating on the underbody, but there are still a lot of exposed corners and whatnot where rust can get started.

When I drove my S in the winter, I took it to a touchless wash. Understandably, as others have commented, the pressure was enough to blast water through the window seals. But I didn't have to worry about scratches and whatnot.

I've also had the fine pleasure of washing my car when it was 10 degrees out. (this was a lllooooonnnngggg time ago ) and as long as the car has been driven for a while you'll be fine. Go in when the car is cold and you might have trouble getting out of the car. Or seeing out the window for that matter. To say the least, you're washing an ice sheet rather than your car, as the pre-wash instantly freezes on the vehicle.

Quick Reply: Car wash in the winter?