Upper Mid-West S2000 Owners Members from the upper mid-west including Michigan, Illinios, Indiana, and Wisconsin

Car wash in the winter?

Old 01-01-2010, 03:10 PM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Car wash in the winter?

How do you guys that run all winter wash your car? Brushless car wash?
Old 01-01-2010, 04:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I go to a coin operated, do-it-yourself, power wash. Usually costs about $1.75 to $2.50, plus I can spend extra time setting salt/debris off specific areas. That's the best option for me. I'm just not crazy about going to an automated car wash for fear of scraping. My car is stock height but still pretty low as it is.

Christopher
Old 01-01-2010, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those self car washes with the brushes put surface scuffs all over my car last winter, just make sure theres no crap on them...

Also do you guys wash under 32F outside? I hear its bad for the car... Any one got .02 about that?
Old 01-01-2010, 11:50 PM

For the last 4 winters I've always went to the $15-$20, indoor hand car washes.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:22 AM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Zgradis,Jan 1 2010, 11:08 PM
Those self car washes with the brushes put surface scuffs all over my car last winter, just make sure theres no crap on them...
Yeah, I would never use those brushes, especially on a black car. If you want to use a diy wash with a brush I'd pick up a boar's hair brush and bring it along. Below freezing shouldn't be a big deal, just make sure the heater is on so you don't freeze your doors shut.

I'd like to use a brushless automatic for the underbody rinse but I'm concerned about scraping and jacking up the top.

Indoor hand wash sounds great but I've never seen one around here.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As a detailer in the area as well as s2kier/member here, let me give you guys my thoughts on the matter:

Winter Washing is a big problem for a couple of reasons:
1. We would like to minimize the amount of swirls/scratches we put into our clear-coats from those "soft cloth" car washes.
2. Our cars sit low
3. Have to be careful about our soft tops / seals
4. Temperature!

There are a couple of ways to safely and effectively clean your car despite our less-than-favorable conditions, and I'll try to talk briefly on them.

No-Rinse Washing.
No rinse washing allows the safety of removing contaminates from your car with a lubricating / suspending solution (in the summer this would be the car wash shampoo) but with the added benefit of not needing a hose or final rinse. The most popular product to hit the market that allows this is Optimum No Rinse. In addition to being good for rinse-less washing, Optimum No Rinse (ONR) can also be used as a quick detailer, clay lubricant, and more.
Heres a quality link regarding this product and its uses + how to use it videos linked to youtube: http://autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/113...ive-thread.html

Note: while some detailers like to use the "grout sponge" with ONR, our s2000 clear-coats are so soft I'd only recommend using "shag style" microfiber towels. Eurow Shag towels are very good, relatively cheap, and very soft.

The downsides to ONR washing are that it takes some time, requires an initial investment into the ONR (only need 32oz) + 20 or so quality towels, and is preferably used in a garage.

Do it Yourself Bays.
The next option is a do-it-yourself car wash bay. First thing: DO NOT use the brush they provide. It WILL scratch your car. To effectively use one of these bays, you'll still need an initial investment to do it the best way possible. Get yourself some quality microfiber towels, nitrile or latex gloves, a bottle of your favorite car wash shampoo (Meguiar's Gold Class or NXT2.0 are pretty good), and head on out. You should bring your own bucket and fill it with water and properly diluted car shampoo (too much and you strip wax / waste shampoo, too little and you lack cleaning power... most dilute 1oz per gallon aka 1:128). Put on your nifty nitrile or latex gloves to keep your hands from getting wet (wet hands get colder MUCH faster!), and spray down the car with the bay's pressure washer wand. Following that, wash the vehicle (a quality microfiber towel can be used in place of a mitt), then rinse with the bay's provided wand. Next, use your drying microfiber towels and you're all good to go.

Note: keep the high pressure water away from hardtop/soft top edges and seals.

Another optional product I'd recommend is a "Gamma Seal Lid" made for 5-gallon buckets. http://www.amazon.com/Gamma-Plastics-Vittl...s/dp/B000M5SI2A
With one, you can bring your own water/hot water to a car wash bay. Warmer water breaks down dirt quicker and is more comfortable to work with over cold water. The less or a chore washing is, the more likely you will do it and enjoy it.

I hope these tips can help some fellow s2kiers, and if there are any questions on anything I posted, please ask!

-Marc Harris
Old 01-02-2010, 09:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went to a local heated, indoor hand-wash that always seemed to do a very good and careful job. I still go there with my Mini, but I don't think it needs quite as many precautions (due to no soft top).
Old 01-02-2010, 12:15 PM

i like the salt residue on my black car. it helps prevent people from touching/leaning against it.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:07 PM

I just warm up my garage to about 70*F and do a regular detail ...that is on the daily drivers s2k is in storage

I would never put an s2k through an automatic car wash even when I wash the Fit in an automatic car wash I feel bad for a week
Old 01-02-2010, 06:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ I'd recommend you add two grit-guard bucket inserts, and car wash shampoo. A quality car wash soap helps in three ways: lubricating agents to help dirt and grime not stick to your surface, sudsing agents to help carry away grime, and cleaning agents to help break down dirt much quicker and easier.
Outside of that, that sounds like an AWESOME set-up. If only I lived closer I know where I'd take my baby in the early Spring when it comes out of sleeping but is still chilly

Quick Reply: Car wash in the winter?