Upper Mid-West S2000 Owners Members from the upper mid-west including Michigan, Illinios, Indiana, and Wisconsin

Battery died!

Old 11-27-2006, 10:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Battery died!

So I drove the s2k to work this morning and on my way onto my garage on Lasalle and Hubbard it stalled. Tried cranking it to start it again but it just clicked, tried to put on my hazards to warn people behind me but the battery just didn't have enough juice. Strange since I've drove it all weekend without any issues. I had to move it or get towed, so I ran 4 blocks to Midas and bought another battery($90!!). Slapped it in and managed to get it started and moved it safely into the garage.

Now i'm wondering if it will start up and get me home. Not sure if it the alternator or that damn Optima Yellow top battery, it just died without warning. Mondays suck.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've read a lot of bad things about those batteries...don't think i ever saw one about one stalling in the middle of a drive though!
Old 11-27-2006, 11:25 AM

I would take your Monday for my Sunday.

Took advantage of the nice day to get out of the city, cruising up I94N when I feel a change in the engine, looked down to find the CEL come on and start flashing. A mad dash across the lanes and onto the shoulder to shut her off. After calling the flatbed and a few friends, checking to make sure no fluids pouring out, I ventured a restart- terrible vibration.

I have not read the codes yet- waiting on a code reader, but in the meantime I'm pulling off the cover to see what I can find.

Sundays suck.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:47 AM

Kallen,

I guess we're both having bum luck this week. Glad you made it off the expressway safely. Hope it turns out well for both of our cars.

Update:

I just walked over to Midas on Grand to return a rusty wrench they let me borrow to swap in the battery. I witness in a 3 block walk, at least 3 cars with battery problems. They were either getting a jump start or having a battery swapped in. So I'm not alone today, must be some cosmic forces at work (or the temperture changes) frying people's cars.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:55 PM

when those optima batteries die, they die hard, I have a brand new alternator in my garage because the mechanic was "sure" that I needed it (cause some tool he owned got a wacky reaction from my optima battery)

of course batteries only go bad when you are in a comprimising position.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by stphotographer,Nov 27 2006, 01:55 PM
I ran 4 blocks to Midas and bought another battery($90!!). Slapped it in and managed to get it started and moved it safely into the garage.
OOF. $90 battery. g'luck A.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:11 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I have had lots of problems with my yellow top this weekend.

It is now sitting on a shelf, the S us under her cover asleep for the winter with no battery. I will deal with it in the spring.

Probably get rid of the yellow top.

POS.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by ToeKneeC,Nov 27 2006, 03:57 PM
OOF. $90 battery. g'luck A.
Well it was $90 battery or $180+ ticket/and or tow. Cuts into my Christmas budget.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Huskergirl,Nov 27 2006, 12:25 PM

Took advantage of the nice day to get out of the city, cruising up I94N when I feel a change in the engine, looked down to find the CEL come on and start flashing. A mad dash across the lanes and onto the shoulder to shut her off. After calling the flatbed and a few friends, checking to make sure no fluids pouring out, I ventured a restart- terrible vibration.
sounds like a multiple misfire.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:35 PM

Just to let everyone know, it started up fine and strong on my way back from work. So it definately was that POS Optima Yellow Top.

In 20/20 hindsight the battery was showing some signs of deterioration months ago. Whenever I try to start my car cold it would take a couple of cranks. I attributed this to not driving it for a while or changes in temperture, now I know it was the battery giving up.

I can't find my original reciept for the battery but I'm going to write to Optima to see what they say.

Quick Reply: Battery died!