Upper Mid-West S2000 Owners Members from the upper mid-west including Michigan, Illinios, Indiana, and Wisconsin

Anyone know how to troubleshoot a clutch?

Old 04-23-2010, 06:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know how to troubleshoot a clutch?

My clutch may have a problem. Just started to notice that the fluid is low and I added more and its low again after only a month. My clutch does not feel as forceful as it once did and does feel a bit softer. The play on it is very random...for example, in the middle of my morning commute today...it felt soft at first than after about 8-10 miles, it got stiffer. At the same time, the play will be a couple inches than all of a sudden maybe half an inch without stopping the car. I also noticed at one point this morning, the clutch did not catch at first at higher revs from a red light...slipping.

Anyways...what do you think? Am I due for a new clutch? Anyone got any suggestions on how to trouble shoot it before I get a new clutch...btw, this is the stock clutch with 42k miles on it.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:19 AM

it is very likely that there is air in the line. You need to bleed it.

It sounds like either the clutch master or the clutch slave is going out on you.

The only way to tell if the clutch is going is to take it apart and look at it, or if it stops causing the car to move forward.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:28 AM

Yep, time to bleed the system. Also check under the dash if the clutch master cylinder is leaking fluid. The master on my SRT-10 Ram was leaking and actually soaked fluid into the carpet!

I'm in Antioch if you need help. I've done my clutch fluid a few times.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:50 AM

Sweet...Thx Chris...I may take you up on that offer for help with the bleed. I am not exactly sure how to do it.

So far...no liquid on the interior of the drivers side.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ohhh crap man, i just went through this myself.. Replaced the master cylinder... If you can be a contortionist for a minute and look at your clutch master cylinder, you may find your seal to be broken and some fluid in the area... The pedal play will soon be overwhelming and you wont be able to get into first gear or reverse easily.

Its not an "end of the world" fix though.
I found bleeding the clutch was a pain in the a** though.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:06 AM

Ouch...I haven't had to bleed it yet...funny thing is after I posted the first post, the clutch is fine again...But I will bleed it just to be sure. I saw the DIY and it looks pretty easy...just never tried it before. Hopefully it wont be too tough to do.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:46 PM

Ok...bled the system and now I see my problem. Slave cylinder has a slight leak...I notice a few drops of fluid sitting on the outside casing of the slave cylinder.

Can this be fixed, or is it better off replacing it? If replacing it is the best option, anyone know a good place to get one?
Old 05-07-2010, 05:41 AM

From the last time I posted till now is how long it took for my resivour to empty out...I just put some fresh fluids in...

Does anyone know how hard it is to replace the slave cylinder? Is it a simple bolt on process or should I have a mechanic do the job?
Old 05-07-2010, 01:01 PM

its the cms, notorious on these, takes less than 30 minutes to replace, extension, swivel and a ratchet, go to town
Old 05-07-2010, 01:50 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

It not a difficult job. If you're wanting a hand to do it, come over in the morning tomorrow. I think midwesta has an extra mc that I can have hi
bring. I've done this job, as has midwesta, as has hecash.

You'll have three of us with experience to help you out.

Quick Reply: Anyone know how to troubleshoot a clutch?