Upper Mid-West S2000 Owners Members from the upper mid-west including Michigan, Illinios, Indiana, and Wisconsin

Anyone ever thunk........

Old 12-06-2005, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever thunk........

Maybe someone can help me come up with a way to mod the useless passenger window switch into an lock/unlock switch?

Old 12-06-2005, 11:42 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

There was some talk about trying to make it into a "safety bypass" switch for the "Top down while moving" mod. The concensus was that it would be a pain because you would probably need to push more wires through the door grommet. Then try and splice into the wiring on the switch itself. it would probably be easier to add an out of sight switch under the dash. Of course, your idea would be more slick.

If you are planning to persue it, check out the electronics forum and see what they have thought about along those lines.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

why not make it so when you push it, both windows go down at once.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:42 PM

need the re think it ... i'll get back to you on this
Old 12-06-2005, 03:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

NOS!
Old 12-06-2005, 05:45 PM

Yo Shifty, ,
I guess making it a double down window switch would be nice if you only had one finger and were in a rush to get the second window down...

I just find having a window safety switch in a 2 seat convertible is idiotic. I know some of us have found out the hard way when the passenger window wouldn't go down after installing new wiring and speakers.......
I freaked out thinkin I accidently shorted a wire when pulling new wires through the grommet.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:57 AM

Received 805 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by shift_9k,Dec 6 2005, 03:57 PM
why not make it so when you push it, both windows go down at once.
It would be easier to replace the passenger switch with a 3 pole (like the driver switch). You'd also need to replace the passenger side relay.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:31 AM

For the "top down while moving" mod, is it possible to just make the restricting circuit think that the brake is always engaged?

I haven't looked at the wiring diagram, but this seems like one that would already be fixed.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by naseeb,Dec 6 2005, 08:45 PM
I just find having a window safety switch in a 2 seat convertible is idiotic.
It definitely seems that way until you put my 6 year old in the passenger seat (which is a potentially idiotic move in and of itself.) That kid diddles the window, vents, and every stereo button he can reach...

In a slightly different direction, I've got an inquiry in with a client that is a microswitch manufacturers rep, to price out a custom replacement for the existing convertible top switch, which at first glance would appear to be OEM, with the following exception.

The OEM switch moves fore/aft to activate the top. The custom switch would at rest appear to move left/right and would be held in that position via a spring. This orientation would cause a mechanical lock out from the fore/aft movement. To activate the top, you would twist the switch from left/right to fore/aft, and then push as you would normally. Upon release, the switch would rotate back to left/right.

Included with the replacement switch would be a molex shunt that would go inbetween the stock harness and plug to effect the current parking brake and speed sensing delete mods, allowing for a clean no-cut install.

Thoughts?
Old 12-07-2005, 10:33 AM

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

Do you find yourself accidently pushing/pulling the top switch accidently? I don't think I've ever had that problem seeing that the switch is recessed enough.

I think that the switch is a good idea, but isn't needed. Keep in mind that the mechanical switch that you describe adds an additional thing to the car that can break or fail over time. My .02.

It's a great switch idea though for a car that could potentially have more child passengers.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever thunk........