Upper Mid-West S2000 Owners Members from the upper mid-west including Michigan, Illinios, Indiana, and Wisconsin

Any local guys good at car audio?

Old 01-24-2009, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any local guys good at car audio?

I've got a Pioneer Premier head unit and a set of Polk component speakers that I'm going to install next weekend. Anyone here have experience with that sort of thing on the S2000?

I'm not sure if I need the help (some good writeups here), but shit never goes according to plan, haha.

I'm located just outside of Chicago city limits in Oak Park. I have a heated garage too.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:12 PM

I've installed a few subwoofers and amps, along with head units and components.

Chicago is too far of a drive for that though =\
Old 01-24-2009, 10:16 PM

Its some what of a hassle to install a head unit. Speakers aren't bad though. Let me know if you can't find anyone...
Old 01-25-2009, 08:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try looking in the audio section of the forum for a diy. from what i remember it didnt see that hard.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:45 PM

Actually very easy. Everything is fairly easy to get to if you remove the two side covers and such. Just be careful prying the door off.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:43 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

What you are planning to do is VERY easy.

Get a pigtail adapter from any audio shop, best buy, or crutchfield. Then, go inside and solder the wiring harness from the HU to the pigtail for the car. Take your time. Solder the wires (don't just use connectors or tape.) Use heat shrink or tape to protect the soldered joint. I have also zip-tied the harness together as a bundle,but this is not necissary.

Be sure to hook up the power antenna wire! The factory antenna doesn't go up and down, but it does have an amplifier built into it, which needs to be energized.

As a side note: There is a DCI made by Modifry that will let you retain the use of the radio controls. If you want to do this, NOW is the time.

http://www.modifry.com/products/dci/index.htm

Remove the radio door. On an AP1, if the door is closed, call that 90 degress and open is 0 degrees. Hold the door at about 15-30 degrees and sharply tug the bottom of the door out. Then gently work your way up the sides to the top (above the vents) and pop out the clips. If you have an AP2, the door works the same way, but you have to remove the center console first. It just pops up all the way around and you should be able to move it out of the way enough to get the radio door free.

Remove 3-4 screws to remove the stock radio. Unplug the wiring harness and the antenna wire from the OEM radio. Unscrew the brackets on the side of the radio and put them on the new HU. Plug your new harness into the OEM wiring, and into the back of your new HU. Plug in the antenna and slide the new HU in.

Test to make sure the new HU works correctly (with the OEM speakers.)

Once you know everything is working correctly, THEN move on to the speakers.

Remove the door panels. (There are writeups with pictures for this.) It's pretty easy.

The new speakers will almost certainly NOT fit in the OEM "baskets." You can try to modify the baskets by cutting out the rear of them, but some speakers still won't fit. You can trace the OEM basket out on some 3/4" MDF and cut it out with a jigsaw. Then use the speaker template that comes with your speakers to cut a hole in the middle of your adapters. This is the easiest way to adapt the speakers. You might check out the Electronics forum. There used to be someone making adapters, I am not sure if they are still doing it.

For what you are doing, you can reuse the stock wiring, even though the stock wiring is THE thinnist wire I have EVER seen. If you decide to go to an amplifier, then you would need to upgrade the wiring.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:23 AM

It's also good to pick up some platic snap mounts from the dealer they tend to break more often in colder temperatures.

did you get this done?

I would help you out, but this week is my midterm.

if you haven't gotten it done by next week let me know. I'm in Downers, so I'm pretty close.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the HU: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=404767

I wrote that 2 years ago, it's in the FAQ. There should be a thread in the FAQ for installing the door speakers as well, I was going to write one up but someone else already had one..