Upper Mid-West S2000 Owners Members from the upper mid-west including Michigan, Illinios, Indiana, and Wisconsin

Aftermarket Exhaust in Chicago land?

Old 08-28-2003, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Exhaust in Chicago land?

Does anyone in the Chicago land area have an after market exhaust on the S2k what I can hear. Im in the market for one and would like to hear some in person before I buy. Thanks
Old 08-28-2003, 05:30 PM

Maybe check out the thread for the meet next wednesday. There's going to be a lot of cars there and I think there are at least a couple that have exhausts.
Old 08-28-2003, 05:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

S2kGirl are you gonna be there? How about you ILSPA?? The more the merrier! Let us know here: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...25&pagenumber=1

I know its a semi long drive for you but this mite be the last good meet before winter. Theres gonna be a SuperCharged S there this time as well. I know for sure that there are at least 2 of them with aftermarket exhausts, Spugen, and J's.
Old 08-29-2003, 05:18 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Not sure what your situation is, but consider an intake. Mine has dramatically changed the sound of the car, and it has actually increased power. Many of the exhaust systems will lower weight, and make the car louder, but will not add any HP (in fact most casue a loss of power.)
Old 08-29-2003, 07:00 AM

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

I don't think there are any exhaust out there anymore that lose power....all the companies that came out with exhaust systems that lost power already stopped producing them. The majority of them were in the first year's production of the car. Even the HKS exhaust didn't lose any power; the one on my car had gained 1ft-lbs. and 2 horses at peak, and lost 2.5 lbs of weight. I didn't care for the exhaust note, so I got rid of it.

The exhaust note sounds great from outside the car, however, from the cabin the resonance is horrible and intrusive.

If you're going for performance gains, I'd hold off on the exhaust purchase and save for headers (Mugen, Spoon, HKS, or some others....stay away from DC's product if it's still being produced).

If you're going for exhaust note, in my opinion the best not comes from either the Mugen exhaust or the Amuse dual. I haven't heard the Spugens though....and I've heard of nothing but good comments about them.
Old 08-29-2003, 07:02 AM

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

Another option for exhaust note modification is to keep your OEM exhaust and chop off a few pieces here and there. Get a muffler shop to weld on appropriate flanges and piping, and you'll be able to bolt up one of the many choices of cannisters available from muffler shops, online catalogs, etc.

Not only will you be able to pick your cannister type, but you'll be shedding some pounds off the OEM exhaust if you do it right.
Old 08-29-2003, 08:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Pete ur intake is pretty loud at full throttle.

IL you should seriously look into spugen, its not that expensive, looks good, and gives a 5.5 hp which is backed up by a dynochart. I think they have a groupbuy going on right now for $580.00 check out the group buy forum.
Old 08-29-2003, 08:57 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

My intake is HELLA-Loud at full throttle. I have had two different friends, one with a WS6 Firebird and the other with a new 'Vette tell me that my car was loud. This was after following me in their cars which were also screaming.

After we went our separate ways, they both reported back to me later that they could hear me up to 1/2 mi away!
Old 08-29-2003, 06:30 PM

Old 08-29-2003, 06:33 PM

Originally posted by shift_9k
S2kGirl are you gonna be there? How about you ILSPA?? The more the merrier! Let us know here: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...25&pagenumber=1

I still don't know if I can make it or not, thus the lack of posting. If I can, it'll only be for dinner. I have to work so I won't make it in time for the meet at Busse or the drive.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Exhaust in Chicago land?