Upper Mid-West S2000 Owners Members from the upper mid-west including Michigan, Illinios, Indiana, and Wisconsin

15k Service coming up How much should it be??

Old 03-09-2004, 07:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 15k Service coming up How much should it be??

I've called Motorworks of Barrington and set up an appointment for friday, they are charging me $245.00, then just for shits n giggles i called Schaumburg Honda, and they qouted me $320.00!!! Has anyone gotten it done cheaper? Where?
Old 03-09-2004, 07:24 AM

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

Much cheaper in my garage....about two cases of Corona.

15k service is a joke. I've done all my own and then take the car in to Motorwerks (with receipts in hand for all stuff I bought), and ask the service manager to state something on the car's "file" that owner has performed his own service and has documented all receipts and work.

Look at it this way, you are free to take your car to a non-dealership service center to get your maintenance work done, right? You get a receipt for the work and hopefully save it. If something goes wrong with the motor down the road and is still coverable by Honda warranty, they may ask you why your car doesn't show records for maintenance. You can then show them your work order and invoice from the non-dealership shop. They'll be less likely to deny you a warranty claim at that time.
Old 03-09-2004, 07:56 AM

Hmmm, when can I schedule an appointment?
Old 03-09-2004, 09:41 AM

Next meet I'll take a look at what I can and recommend anything you'll need before hand (ie. belts, filters, etc.).

From there, get all the stuff off the list that you need (btw, I doubt highly that you need to replace any belts at this time, just listed it earlier as an example), and we'll do all that's needed on a weekend in 4 hours or less (that includes, new tranny fluid change, motor oil change, diff fluid change, and whatever else).

If you want to use anything other than OEM for the oils than do a search on this site to see what others have used for recommendations.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:57 AM

Take a look at this post:

Quoted from xviper:
Most of the items at this interval (severe) are inspections only. However, two things that are of importance (besides the oil change) that you need to consider:
1. Diff fluid. If you have not done this by now, you should really have it done. I'm a believer and proponent of that first (and early) diff fluid change. Make sure that your dealer uses the CORRECT fluid. Honda does NOT have a designated diff fluid for this car. If they do it, they need to get it elsewhere or you can bring it to them. The fluid of choice is Mobil 1 75W90 synthetic gear oil.
2. You should not only inspect the CV boots at this time, but you should be treating them with silicone spray.

These are the other things that will be done at 15K.
Old 03-09-2004, 10:04 AM

Ok cuz im at 14998 rite now. I'll probably just get all OEM. Should i buy those fluids thru the dealership? I actually have a Sprint air filter which replaced the OEM at 11k, and is rewashable. I also still have my OEM air filter layin around somewhere. Let me know.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:25 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Shift, I would reccomend you switch to Synthetic for the gear lube and engine oil at least. I know luder likes the redline stuff, but if you are not going to track your car regularly then it is just a little bit of overkill.

I am planning to change out the diff fluids this year myself. I am away that XViper reccomends the swap ASAP, but I want to break in a couple more miles before I make the change (unless I do a gear swap before that of course.)

I would not be inclinded to buy any of that stuff from the dealer. If you REALLY REALLY want OEM, then order it from Hardtopguy or HandA.com, but I am a strong propont of Mobil 1 from any parts store in the area. (Although I will never go to the Autozone at Barrington and Irving Park again.)

Once my S2000 stops burning oil, I will switch to synthetic (most reports put that time at about 10,000mi or so) For now it's Castrol GTX.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:40 AM

Originally posted by ruexp67
...I know luder likes the redline stuff...For now it's Castrol GTX.
Actually, I've turned a new leaf. All my cars now only get Castrol products. I'm sort of forced to use Castrol synthetic motor oil for the BMW and end up buying it by the 'jugs'. Right on the oil cap for the BMW, it suggests Castrol, and after some exhaustive searches on the net, I've read too many times that Castrol is as good as if not better than Mobil 1 synthetics.

I then ended up reading that Mobil 1 synthetic is no longer the same synthetic they used to sell at the high price point. There's something about lawsuits regarding what the definition of 'synthetic' really is, and what Mobil 1 was selling (at the time) was a true synth, and what others where selling was not. Eventually, Mobil lost the case and ended up joining the herd (do as others do)....however, their price point on their new synth remained as high as it used to be while the other synth formulas where lower.

In short, Castrol synth. works great in the BMW and in the CR-V. This next oil change, I will be using Castrol in the S2000 as well. Gone from Honda break-in oil, to Mobil 1 dino oil, to Mobil 1 synthetic, back to Mobil 1 dino, and now onto Castrol synthetic (full synthetic).

I've used Mobil 1 diff in the rear and Redline MTL in the tranny. Those will also be switched to Castrol products.

For more in depth info about Castrol products, contact Ulrich on the S2KCA site. He's an employee of BP and can get you much more data regarding the company's products. After year of knowing him, I've been brainwashed into buying Castrol oils and BP gas, solely!
Old 03-09-2004, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have always used Castrol Syn in my S2k aswell as in my previous car.
Old 03-09-2004, 02:46 PM

Luder, i'd like to order the parts soon, is there anyway we can meet up sometime soon, as of now my car is past 15k. 15002. Im going to reset the main req. light. Once you give me the go ahead i'll order the parts. Or if its too much of a hassle i'll just pay to get it done.

Quick Reply: 15k Service coming up How much should it be??