Old 06-14-2011, 04:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTB: boot rack

Any got a boot rack they dont need?

There was a few Fapa type around but they dont make them anymore

Thanks
Old 06-14-2011, 01:25 PM

white knight, I was recently looking for a boot rack, but couldn't find one I liked within the price I wanted to pay (< £150), so I opted for a bootbag www.boot-bag.co.uk.

It's certainly not the most stylish thing in the world, but it's not half bad. I opted for the Bootbag vacation which is 75ltrs rather than the 50ltrs and it fits perfectly on the S. It allows normal operation of the boot and has a non-slip mat that hasn't scratched my boot lid even after a 500 mile journey.
I managed to fit a 3 man tent, 2 sleeping bags, camping stove, 2 tripod chairs, 2x roll mats, tarp sheet and a couple of towels to pad it out and retain shape.

Pros
Large and doubles up as a bag
allows access into the boot
quick and easy to put on your boot
Cheap
fit's most cars
Once you shorten and fasten the straps, theres very little wind noise.
Doesn't move at all in transit.

The cons are:
It's not 100% waterproof - it will keep things dry in a shower but in motorway rain, it does manage to get through the zips. Next time I'll be putting everything in bin liners.
It's not the most secure thing either. It would take a theif 20 seconds to pinch your kit which is a pain if your city driving and have the roof up or stop off at the motorway services. I left it in the car most of the time.
It restricts rear visibility in the mirror a lot. This isn't too bad in this country as drivers are somewhat predictable, but I plan to drive in France with it which might be an issue.

If I get time over the weekend, I'll take some pictures. I got mine from fleaBay as an ex-demo so only cost me £40 inc. delivery.

Good luck with your quest to find a rack. Thought I'd suggest a boot-bag coz I ran into the same problem.

Oh and if your an S2KUK memeber you get 10% off the online shop.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by shirty
white knight, I was recently looking for a boot rack, but couldn't find one I liked within the price I wanted to pay (< £150), so I opted for a bootbag www.boot-bag.co.uk.

It's certainly not the most stylish thing in the world, but it's not half bad. I opted for the Bootbag vacation which is 75ltrs rather than the 50ltrs and it fits perfectly on the S. It allows normal operation of the boot and has a non-slip mat that hasn't scratched my boot lid even after a 500 mile journey.
I managed to fit a 3 man tent, 2 sleeping bags, camping stove, 2 tripod chairs, 2x roll mats, tarp sheet and a couple of towels to pad it out and retain shape.

Pros
Large and doubles up as a bag
allows access into the boot
quick and easy to put on your boot
Cheap
fit's most cars
Once you shorten and fasten the straps, theres very little wind noise.
Doesn't move at all in transit.

The cons are:
It's not 100% waterproof - it will keep things dry in a shower but in motorway rain, it does manage to get through the zips. Next time I'll be putting everything in bin liners.
It's not the most secure thing either. It would take a theif 20 seconds to pinch your kit which is a pain if your city driving and have the roof up or stop off at the motorway services. I left it in the car most of the time.
It restricts rear visibility in the mirror a lot. This isn't too bad in this country as drivers are somewhat predictable, but I plan to drive in France with it which might be an issue.

If I get time over the weekend, I'll take some pictures. I got mine from fleaBay as an ex-demo so only cost me £40 inc. delivery.

Good luck with your quest to find a rack. Thought I'd suggest a boot-bag coz I ran into the same problem.

Oh and if your an S2KUK memeber you get 10% off the online shop.

Hi Shirty,
Thanks for your comments, I had seen these on the net but realy wanted a rack, I will keep looking for now.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

spotted a fapa on a well known auction site ( 280694169239 )
Old 06-17-2011, 10:28 AM

I didn't know you could by racks, might come in handy when I go over to france to see my folks.

On another note why are people so afraid to use the word ebay?!
Old 06-17-2011, 12:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Juicy Steve
On another note why are people so afraid to use the word ebay?!
The first rule in s2ki is that we dont talk about ebay!!! Dont think item numbers are allowed either? think someone had a problem advertising at some point, think its daft myself as we are just giving members who are looking for something the heads up
Old 06-18-2011, 12:54 PM

I have a Classic Carriers S2k boot rack for sale. It's only ever been attached to the car on one occasion (for 7 days)...and never seen rain.

Its in excellent condition, complete and I'm only asking £180 for it (I originally bought it direct from Classic Carriers).

I was going to put it on the internet auction site tonight but thought I'd try here first.
Attached Thumbnails WTB: boot rack-img_2936.jpg  
Old 06-19-2011, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by cerberus264
I have a Classic Carriers S2k boot rack for sale. It's only ever been attached to the car on one occasion (for 7 days)...and never seen rain.

Its in excellent condition, complete and I'm only asking £180 for it (I originally bought it direct from Classic Carriers).

I was going to put it on the internet auction site tonight but thought I'd try here first.
Thanks for the offer but I have a boot spoiler and this wont fit, still looking...
Old 06-19-2011, 11:32 AM

Ahaa, I hadn't thought of that. NP.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:08 PM

I have a Classic Carrier but it's not for sale as I use it a lot. I just wanted to say that it is far superior to the common or garden Fappa types as once fitted it is far more secure, however, before I fit it I apply black vinyl strips to the bood lid where the straps locate to prevent scratching and chipping of the paint. (It is the vinyl used by sticker manufacturers etc).

I hope this tip helps others that are applying boot racks this summer. (Or any summer for that matter).

Quick Reply: WTB: boot rack