UK & Ireland For Sale and Wanted Items for sale and wanted in the UK & Ireland
Mark this thread as Unsold

WTB: Bike

Old 02-22-2010, 04:30 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by chrispayze,Feb 22 2010, 09:07 AM
In which case, I completely agree with the comments above. Don't be seduced by crap disc brakes (decent V-brakes are better unless you get a decent disc brake set) or rear suspension, esp if you're looking to pay sub £300 and only do tarmac stuff. In fact, if you definitely aren't going to do any off road, a hybrid could be a good option, although they tend to be expensive for what they are because they don't sell in large numbers compared to MTBs.

Ebay isn't a bad place for bikes if you know what you're looking for, lots of people buy them and don't use them. I got myself a nice £600 Trek for £280 delivered, barely used. That has reasonable front sus, and decent disc brakes. I spent about a month trawling for a deal, but you should be able to find something basic but reasonable for £150 I reckon.

Sounds like there are a few people on here (me included) who would happily advise on particular bikes.
Thanks

If you see something decent on ebay, let me know. I really don't know what to look for!
Old 02-22-2010, 05:50 AM

Received 134 Likes on 113 Posts

Will try and remember to have a search for you later. What's your top budget?
Old 02-22-2010, 06:47 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If your after one for plodding around get down to hellfrauds.
They do ones for about £80, not bad bikes got the missus one a couple of years ago.
She has the ability to destry bikes so got her a cheap one so I wouldn't have to care about her thrashing it.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by chrispayze,Feb 22 2010, 02:50 PM
Will try and remember to have a search for you later. What's your top budget?
VFM rather than budget, but I;d say £200-250 tops
Old 02-22-2010, 01:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What sort of miles are you planing and are you going to give it some stick.

After my first cycle accident I wasn't sure if I was going to do much cycling again, so I bought a cheap bike £260 Specialized hardtail MTB with rigid forks, V brakes and the components were all low level shimano.

Lasted OK for the first three months when it was not getting much use but as I started using it more the components started to fail, like wheel spokes popping. After a few more months the only original bit was the frame every other component was changed and that's the least efficient way to buy a bike.

I'm 85KG but when I'm kitted up probably nearer 100KG and don't hang around on the roads.

These days I buy bikes on the cycle to work scheme, and try and find a last years model or shop soiled bike that has all the feature I need so I don't have to buy upgraded parts later on.

Buying 2nd hand is a good solution but I often see people trying to sell used bikes at 50-75% of their new price, which is daft when you can buy new at a huge discount. With that budget a lightly used bike at a third of RRP would very nice. I would go hybrid though.

Don't under estimate how much punishment an adult can put through bike components. A guy in the office decided to buy a used bike paid £300 for a year old Trek Hybrid that would of been about £600 new. That bike had been used for commuting around town and within weeks he was also replacing parts. Chains, Cassettes, Rings and wheels all wear out and should be seen as consumables on a heavy use bike.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:08 AM
Administrator

Not many miles and I will pootle around
Old 02-23-2010, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do not get yourself a cheap BSO (bike shaped object) from Halfords for £80... You will get annoyed with it on the first ride and it will be placed in the back of your shed forever more!

A decent beginners hybrid will set you back around £250 - £300, it's a no brainer really...

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gt/tra...d-bike-ec016398

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bianch...d-bike-ec019252

You can even get a Bianchi for that kind of money!
Old 02-23-2010, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Thanks Jake that first one looks quite nice

How do I work out what size I would need?

I am 5'6" (and a half ) And my inside leg is 30

Old 02-23-2010, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jakesalter,Feb 23 2010, 11:22 AM
Do not get yourself a cheap BSO (bike shaped object) from Halfords for £80... You will get annoyed with it on the first ride and it will be placed in the back of your shed forever more!

A decent beginners hybrid will set you back around £250 - £300, it's a no brainer really...

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gt/tra...d-bike-ec016398

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bianch...d-bike-ec019252

You can even get a Bianchi for that kind of money!

100%

The GT would be my choice also, not pretending to be a MTB anything, will just do the job nicely without too much fuss. Bianchi are superb but that ones a bit trad imo. At 5ft6 I'd say a small would be good, but you could stretch to a medium depending on how GT size them. Evans are very reputable too, many transactions from there in my time.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:39 PM

Received 654 Likes on 569 Posts

i did several thousand miles (5-6k?) commuting, with panniers and up and down curbs on my ridgeback hybrid before it started to break.

they are probably £300 now?

i'd recommend a hybrid over full on mb if you're stayin on road.

Quick Reply: WTB: Bike