UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Zero's Boxtser Hypothesis

Old 01-19-2005, 07:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by little Chris,Jan 19 2005, 08:19 AM
What do you reckon we should do? ban him from S2ki for 10 Days? Fixed penalty fine?
Got it! Make him drive an MX5 for 2 weeks.
To be fair the MX5 isn't such a bad car, so that's not punishment enough. He should be forced to drive an MGF for at least 2 weeks. The MGF comes inside my top 10 for worst cars ever driven.
Perhaps someone should start a thread - worst cars. My top 2 pieces of all time modern cr@p are the Mondeo 1.8 estate on an 04 plate and a Renault Laguna 2.0 sport estate on a 51 plate. Both powered by foodmixers twinned with the handling ability of an wardrobe.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:35 AM

Peugeot 306 diesel (non turbo version) has to be the worst car I have driven. It was my first company car and refused to go over 90 and you need a half mile run-up to overtake!
Old 01-19-2005, 07:47 AM

I can appreciate that, at a glance and from a distance, you might think 'hmm, an S' and a second later realise, nope! it's an 'mx5' but then again this can apply to many cars. The same can be said for the Boxster and the latest MR2's. I remember there being a recent thread about an S being on desperate housewives when in fact it was a 350Z convertible. Also, for many you'd be hard pressed to differentiate the Civic, 307 and Corolla apart from when you're up close. Throw nightime into the equation and there's more you will mistake one car from another. As owners you'll be more familiar with the styling and shape and you can't be too precious about it. It's totally clear the differences between my westie, a caterham, a robin hood and a locust but I bet many of you don't know the difference and would mistake them, even up close.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Philos,Jan 19 2005, 04:30 PM
To be fair the MX5 isn't such a bad car, so that's not punishment enough. He should be forced to drive an MGF for at least 2 weeks. The MGF comes inside my top 10 for worst cars ever driven.
Perhaps someone should start a thread - worst cars. My top 2 pieces of all time modern cr@p are the Mondeo 1.8 estate on an 04 plate and a Renault Laguna 2.0 sport estate on a 51 plate. Both powered by foodmixers twinned with the handling ability of an wardrobe.
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

YOU'VE JUST JOINED THE HATE LIST WITH Zeroto60.

I used to have an MGF!

I didn't mind it, grippy little bugger. Don't know what I would think about it now I've driven the S. I mean I would have to put up with mass amounts of wind noise, no wind blocker, extra long gear change, thought of the head gasget going every 20,000 miles.

The MGF was a superb car to learn rear wheel drive in, the handling to power ratio of the car was very good not like the S where the back end may have a little dance at any point.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:58 AM

MGF's are quite underated in my opinion
Old 01-19-2005, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by little Chris,Jan 19 2005, 08:50 AM
YOU'VE JUST JOINED THE HATE LIST WITH Zeroto60.
I used to have an MGF!
I didn't mind it, grippy little bugger. Don't know what I would think about it now I've driven the S.
Believe me after the S, you'll realise just how bad the MGF is. The MGF isn't a good car - period, I've had countless people agree with me. Don't hate me now, just be pleased the F isn't your ride anymore!
Old 01-19-2005, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Neil.H,Jan 19 2005, 03:43 PM
They're nice cars, no doubt about that in my mind. They just aren't worth the asking price, for that money there are so many other cars I would rather buy, a second hand 993 for starters. For the price of a full spec Boxster S you are into 993 Turbo money. They are also way too common, a predictable choice, and I dislike the psuedo-flash bastard image.

I wouldn't swap my S for one.

The same can be said for the whole range. There's always something else, and imho better, for the same money elsewhere.

Ok, I've not really paid must attention to porsches but, am I the only one who thinks that they all look the same?
A bit like all fords look the same from the front.

My mate's got a boxa and he really can't figure out why I wouldn't have one.
He spent over
Old 01-19-2005, 08:21 AM

I had an MGF too.

Yes it has all the build quality issues head gasket went at 21k etc etc but it was by no means a "Bad" car.

It was good fun to drive and enjoyable. The engine was revy too. It just cannot be compared to the S.

In my opinion the MGF was a small roadster ...............the S is a sports car................

Lets face it you aren't going to compare the S to a Fezza 355 are you!!?

Ownership was a great RWD learning curve. It wasn't badly balanced and was very chuckable............infact easier than the S it didn't really have enough power to cross the line and seriously total it.

It was a different car altogether ............easier to drive but not in the same class.

Edd
Old 01-19-2005, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by EddandSam,Jan 19 2005, 09:21 AM
I had an MGF too.
It wasn't badly balanced and was very chuckable............infact easier than the S it didn't really have enough power to cross the line and seriously total it.
I'm obviously causing offence - never meant that. I never denied the car didn't handle well (with the power they have), but lets face it if you want safe grippy handling you buy a TT over the S. The MGF was littered with build problems, leaks and poor panel fits as well as the the mechanical issue too long to list - main dealer repair costs were shocking - all in all this doesn't make a good car. For many people it was the 1st time they'd owned a rwd, Mantas and Capris did it just as well. Maybe many of you forgave the MGF for its shortfalls just because it was good looking?
I'm not saying any more.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by S2rr Kitty,Jan 19 2005, 02:21 PM
Wouldn't buy one, ever, purely on the basis that the only person I know with one is a nasty, evil, spiteful bitch with apalling dress sense.

Good enough reason for me!

Zero is right

Porsche have made good car but their marketing is even better.

IMHO

The vast majority are bought as a status symbol

MGF is a great concept but the MX5 does it far better as the sales prove.
The VX, Elise and S take it one stage further.
The Boxster is in a league of its own with loads of

Quick Reply: Zero's Boxtser Hypothesis