UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Z4 goes back tomorrow

Old 09-19-2005, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z4 goes back tomorrow

I've been driving a Z4 3.0 Automatic with Sat Nav, heated seats and a few other bits and pieces.

Overall thoughts on the car?

Interior
Although it looks reasonably ok, it actually feels a bit cheap and the plastic marks really easily. I've done about 2,000 miles in the car (which was brand new when I got it) and the plastic is scuffed and marked already.

The seats are very comfortable and electrically adjusted, and the memory setting is quite handy - as are the heated seats (one of the only things I'll miss!!) - and the steering wheel is adjustable.

Because the bonnet bulges so much I have to have the seat quite high up so I can see where I'm going (and I'm not short!) which means the peak of my baseball cap hits the top of the windscreen.

There is a lack of storage space in the interior compared to the S, although there is a handy cubby hole behind the seats.

The roof being completely electric is quite nice, and because its double-layered the sound insulation is good - feels like a hard top when the roof's open. Takes about 9-10 secs to get the roof down or up.

Exterior
Sorry to say this but I quite like the looks - in BLACK. I had a silver one for a bit and it didn't look right at all. The wheels are a bugger to clean though, and tricky to reach all the bonnet when cleaning it

Bags of storage space in the boot - it really helps that the boot lid is on gas dampers, as you can use all the space - you aren't saving a bit of space for the boot hinges to fit into.

Driving
The auto box is shockingly bad, but if it was a manual it would be a lot better. The suspension setup is odd - it suddenly dives into oncoming traffic/kerb and I can't figure out why as the S doesn't do it on the same stretch of road.

Good acceleration though and lots of torque.

Driving with the roof down is interesting - my skirt levitates as does any paperwork, and the buffeting is 10 times worse than the S - pony tail goes over the top of your head and hits you in the face, rather than th eusual flicking randomly in the S.

Brakes are very good.

Overall
Not bad if you want a motorway cruiser with 2 seats and a soft top, and don't mind paying a lot of money. I spec'd up the one I had, and it was about 35-37k i think.

Not a sports car, but would be quick and nice to drive with a manual box - not sure what anything less than the 3.0 would be like though!
Old 09-19-2005, 11:14 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dreamer,Sep 19 2005, 07:04 PM
As are the heated seats (one of the only things I'll miss!!)
You can retro fit heater pads to the S pretty easily Jo. Check on the search for a how to.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ade73,Sep 19 2005, 08:14 PM
You can retro fit heater pads to the S pretty easily Jo. Check on the search for a how to.
ooooh, that sounds like a good idea. Spending the last 18 months driving about in the Maser, I got really used to heated seats and parking sensors

Seriously, I'm thinking of retro-fitting a 4-sensor kit which looks like it wouldn't be too invasive (other than drilling the bumper for the sensors, of course).

I'm now expecting to get 'd for adding extra weight to the car and compromising the hard-core sporting credentials

Ewan
Old 09-19-2005, 11:33 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ewan,Sep 19 2005, 07:31 PM
I'm now expecting to get 'd for adding extra weight to the car and compromising the hard-core sporting credentials

Ewan
I think you'd get flamed for not being able to park
Old 09-19-2005, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by dreamer,Sep 19 2005, 08:04 PM
which means the peak of my baseball cap hits the top of the windscreen.
Chav alert!
Old 09-19-2005, 11:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ade73,Sep 19 2005, 08:33 PM
I think you'd get flamed for not being able to park
Might I point out that my wife also drives the S2000? ;-)

You mean the mirrors are there for more than the application of make up?
Old 09-19-2005, 11:54 AM

There's an S2000 with parking sensors on it knocking about Dubai - God, sorry, Allah knows why when you can virtually reach back and touch any obstacle behind you!

I've got them on the Grand Cherokee but that reasonable I think - not on and S - don't see the point really.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by dreamer,Sep 19 2005, 08:04 PM
Driving with the roof down is interesting - my skirt levitates
Old 09-19-2005, 10:21 PM

Good report Jo, I borrowed one for a weekend a couple of years ago, 3.0 top spec demonstrator and I liked it too. I like the styling (other than the nose)which just looks odd.

I didn't have the S when I borrowed it though, I was driving a diesel Clio at the time so difficult to compare them really.

Oh and the traction control was horrible - Mr BMW dealer said "if you turn it off you aren't covered by our insurance"
Old 09-19-2005, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Hale,Sep 20 2005, 06:21 AM
Oh and the traction control was horrible - Mr BMW dealer said "if you turn it off you aren't covered by our insurance"
Did he reckon the average BMW was insured when not using their indicators ?

(OOPs...MIAOW !! )

Quick Reply: Z4 goes back tomorrow