UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Yet more driving madness!

Old 11-30-2004, 02:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sportie,Nov 29 2004, 05:16 PM
As for the Fog signs - nobody flicks a switch - they have an infra red beam between each sign - if that beam is broken then the fog sign comes up. All you need is a little spider to spin a web somewhere along the beam and then the Fog sign will appear!!!
I am enlightened

Old 11-30-2004, 06:59 AM

I agree, awful driving. But talking about lane closures, people do tend to leave the (future) closed lane too early and hence a longer queue is formed in the remaining lane(s). I’ve always thought this was crazy. I’ve noticed recently that the signs are now sometimes amended, advising you to use both lanes until a sign closer to the actual closure instructs the traffic to merge in. This IMHO makes far more sense. I’ve always been one to use the closed lane for longer than most and merge in later, this new signing system seems to justify this.

OK, now I’ll hide under the desk to avoid the showers of abuse that will no doubt follow…
Old 11-30-2004, 07:10 AM

The highway code backs you up on that Snikwad. You should queue in all available lanes and then merge in turn.
Old 11-30-2004, 07:17 AM

[QUOTE=Bonce,Nov 30 2004, 08:10 AM] The highway code backs you up on that Snikwad.
Old 11-30-2004, 07:19 AM
GSi

[QUOTE=Snikwad,Nov 30 2004, 03:59 PM] I agree, awful driving.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:40 AM
Al2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Snikwad,Nov 30 2004, 03:59 PM] I agree, awful driving. But talking about lane closures, people do tend to leave the (future) closed lane too early and hence a longer queue is formed in the remaining lane(s). I
Old 11-30-2004, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Bonce,Nov 30 2004, 04:10 PM
The highway code backs you up on that Snikwad. You should queue in all available lanes and then merge in turn.
someone somewhere has done a study on this. I read this a while ago

Their conculsion-traffic flows faster if you do as you suggest.
Old 11-30-2004, 12:11 PM

[QUOTE=Snikwad,Nov 30 2004, 04:17 PM] Thanks.
Old 11-30-2004, 12:46 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

The 'use both lanes and merge in turn', followed by the 'merge now!' signs work very well IME.

I've never seen/had any hassle with that layout and I wish it was used more often.

All the problems exist where there is plenty of warning that you need to be in another lane because of an obstacle/lane closure ahead.

In these circumstances, there is always trouble.

Some people will see this as an opportunity to make ground and others will resent it, leading to the usual problems.

This causes a much greater delay for everyone, because of the jousting that takes place where a lane closes. If people DID get out of the closing lane at the first opportunity, then traffic would flow, albeit slowly.

I find it irritating. Funnily enough, it's easy to spot the drivers who will try to cut in at the last minute. I've never seen a lorry do it - why? These people aren't interesting in maximising traffic flow - they just want to gain any advantage they can. Easy enough to check out, just follow and observe their driving style - invariably very aggressive.

As has been said - we are ALL in a hurry - so don't take the piss and try to make ground in this way. Just queue with the rest of us. Or learn to manage your time and leave earlier.

You need to instruct people to merge. It simply doesn't work in other situations on a self policing basis, and no amount of discussion will change that.

Old 12-01-2004, 03:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Similar thing happens with wide loads on the motorways.

We all move over to the outside lane in an orderly fashion, then some er in an artic or van screams up the inside lane to the wide load and forces their way past it!

The alternate merging is the way to go but it only works well when every one accepts it, understands it and does it!

The most dangerous thing I see regularly in my 35K miles a year is people leaving it to the last 10 yards before heading for a slip road. Usually across three lanes of traffic from the outside lane!

Quick Reply: Yet more driving madness!