UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Yet more driving madness!

Old 11-29-2004, 03:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet more driving madness!

Most days, we see examples of bad driving - tail gating, cutting in, red light running, ignoring rights of way on roudabouts, etc. etc.

But this morning I saw what has to be the most dangerous and stupid bit of driving I have ever seen, and I'm just thankful nobody got injured !

Driving down the M40 towards the M25, and the overhead signs show a reduced speed limit, down to 50, which most people ignore.

Next sign shows limit of 40, again ignored by most. We're also getting arrows showing we should be moving out of the inside lane, and again ignored by most people.

Then we get signs warning us there has been an accident up ahead and there is a lane closure.

Next overhead sign shows a red X in the inside lane, as does the next one. The traffic then slows to a crawl, with the inside lane empty as it is showing a red X.

So you're getting the message here that we've had a lot of warning there is a problem with the inside lane, and the traffic is now crawling past a closed lane. I'm in the 2nd inside lane, so next to the empty lane, and I'm just starting to see the blue flashing lights ahead on the hard shoulder, when to my absolute astonishment a huge artic, followed by an Audi Estate, and then a Ka speed past me in the "closed" lane probably doing 40-50mph.

About 3-5 cars ahead of me (the view was hidden by a van for me) is a sign in the middle of the inside lane closing it, with a police car parked half in the lane.

I have no idea how these 3 cars managed to stop in time but luckily they did.

WHAT COMPLETE AND UTTER TOSSERS !!!!!
Old 11-29-2004, 04:49 AM

And you just know that when they try to cut in at the last moment they'll be calling YOU a ****er for not letting them in!

People always used to do this running up the bus lane on the A1 south of Archway and then trying to butt in after overtaking scores of cars. I advocate pit traps full of tigers for both scenarios!
Old 11-29-2004, 05:07 AM

Those motorway signs have cried wolf too many times in my book, hence they are ignored for the best part.

On the M25 I get mad when it says 'FOG' at 3pm on a sunny day. It probably was at 7am in the morning, but the switch thrower has forgotten to update them. Also the variable limit is never consistent. it goes from 60, 50, 40, back to 50 for 1 sign then 40 again for the rest. Drives me nuts!!!

G
Old 11-29-2004, 05:08 AM
UK Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by larnen,Nov 29 2004, 01:49 PM
I advocate pit traps full of tigers for both scenarios!
Bunch of t0$$ers

- and also maybe the Police 'Stingers' across the road. That will soon stop them doing that in a hurry

Bharat
Old 11-29-2004, 05:30 AM

Those drivers were shoite, but with regards to the signs: they are not legally-binding signs so you don't have to do 50. I usually carry on at the same speed but am ready to have to slow quickly and looking ahead for a possible cause. I don't, however, go down shut lanes
Old 11-29-2004, 05:32 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

WOT NO BEEMERS?

Old 11-29-2004, 07:16 AM

You only have to obey the speed limit on the overhead gantry if it has a red circle around the number - if not it is an advisory sign. I'm not excusing the people for doing what they did as it is bloody annoying when you're sat in traffic and they seem to be getting so much further than you

As for the Fog signs - nobody flicks a switch - they have an infra red beam between each sign - if that beam is broken then the fog sign comes up. All you need is a little spider to spin a web somewhere along the beam and then the Fog sign will appear!!!
Old 11-29-2004, 10:05 AM
MrV

Originally Posted by AquilaEagle,Nov 29 2004, 02:32 PM
WOT NO BEEMERS?

Had a close call between myself and a bmw on the M4 yesturday as to who was going to get the tug from the Traffic Taliban

Tend to be used to all the other twats on the roads now adays Dreamer
Old 11-29-2004, 01:45 PM

The point is, yes people do drive up slip roads and filter lanes etc.

But it was bloody obvious there had been an accident, and yes those signs do "cry wolf" as we all know, but all of a sudden the previuosly free flowing traffic grinds to a halt - these cars and artic had to drive for a few seconds doing speeds down a closed lane and they would have seen the blue flashing lights ahead; if i couldl they could.....
Old 11-29-2004, 01:56 PM

The gantry signs might only be advisory for speed but are not for red 'X' 's If you have a stream of those across the motorway then you must stop as the motorway is closed ahead and is an order not an advisory.

The 50 signs, fog signs do my head in also but it amazes me that people don't seem to be any more alert than normal - just following the car in front as normal.

I just hope that one day if these people are ever involved in an accident that some tw*t does not decide to use a closed lane and smashes into whatever is in their way, or that cars continue to drive past at 80 riskiing the lives of those that are trying to keep you alive - rant over and not aimed at anyone on here either

Quick Reply: Yet more driving madness!