UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Working out the value of your car

Old 12-24-2009, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Working out the value of your car

So, I'm considering my options at the moment and keen to understand how previous owners have worked out the advert value for their s2k.

Looking on pistonheads and the like, most cheaper cars look like total nails, have original torn roofs, lack service history, wan li tyres, accident damage etc.

Is there a good way to work it out ?
Old 12-24-2009, 10:28 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, pay £2.50 on glasses guide this is what the industry refers to and is THE price for your car, or if you want a laugh try www.webuyanycar.com
Old 12-24-2009, 10:37 AM

Even with private sale ? I thought glass' guide was trade ?

I guess partly I'm curious what I add for things like a new roof with glass heated screen, no suspension issues, full Honda service history, etc
Old 12-24-2009, 10:39 AM

Yes I'm sure glasses give you the price for private and trade, you enter many variables to give you an accurate price.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:41 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by conanius,Dec 24 2009, 07:37 PM
I guess partly I'm curious what I add for things like a new roof with glass heated screen, no suspension issues, full Honda service history, etc
I think it is more of a case of what you subtact if you don't have these.

(New roof could be worth a couple of hundred more)

Old 12-24-2009, 10:42 AM

My thoughts were that I've done things to make it eaiser to sell, not always worth more money (in reality only an enthusiast would care about my suspension and chassis mods)

fair ?
Old 12-24-2009, 10:44 AM

Its probably more of a bargaining point if car X was worth £7000 (on glasses) and the buyer wanted £500 knocked you might only knock off £200 as it has a new roof etc etc.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:20 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

IMO You're probably better off stripping all the bits off that you can and selling them here, and then selling the car without them.

Braces and so on won't be worth anything when sold with the car...
Old 12-24-2009, 12:04 PM

The determining factor will be mileage, condition and whether it's a Uk or JDM model. A price between £6-7k is realistic - what you get will depend on your luck and the condition of your car.

The mods noted in your sig will not add value IMO and they will be difficult to remove and sell on. A Mohair roof is good, but a prospective buyer will expect the car to have a roof, so having Mohair is neither here nor there, it's a roof. Service history and the clutch would be more of a concern. All the Mugen stuff is great if you understand those of sort mods, but most would view stock items up to the job.

The sure fire way to find out the value of your car is to list it for sale - start high if you want, but remember cars that hang around too long become very difficult to sell even if you reduce the price to try and attract buyers. Best to be realistic from the off and it should sell.

Good luck

Old 12-24-2009, 12:56 PM

I'm going to sort out a few issues with the car that I have which are cosmetic and go from there. Hoping that if it looks totally mint it should help a fair amount. The interesting thing with the 6-7k area is that all the cars of that value appear at my first glance to look shocking or have in my eyes key things missing.

The roof comment is more around any original roofs of this age are torn or splitting and that's not cool in my eyes !

Quick Reply: Working out the value of your car