UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Wipe Out - Is this a record?

Old 01-17-2003, 04:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mark Turner
[B]
Old 01-17-2003, 04:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mark, that guy was travelling very quickly and, IMHO, way beyond his abilities.

It may seem simplistic but.... IMHO

.... If you know what a bend is like, then go round it within the capabilities of yourself and your car and you will be safe.

.... If you don't what know the bend is like, then approach it within the capabilities of yourself and your car and also in the knowledge that you don't know the corner (adverse camber? bumpy? blind with tightening radius? etc etc) - i.e. drive it more slowly - and, the slippier the conditions, the slower you go!

Just my 2p
Old 01-17-2003, 04:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by mikerich

Worth recalling that the tracking car which, IIRC was travelling at much the same speed, did not go off - and presumably stopped??

That said a little self doubt sitting on one's shoulder is possibly no bad thing?
The pressure is all on the lead car, (That's if you're inclined to be pressured) he's the one making the decisions and choices, and the following car always has it easier. Worth noting that the guy hit the brakes mid-bend in the preceeding right hander as he was drifting out towards that oncoming SUV. I think the problems really started there, and he was recovering from that when he saw the right-hander.
Old 01-17-2003, 04:34 AM

Originally posted by Cedric Tomkinson

The pressure is all on the lead car, (That's if you're inclined to be pressured) he's the one making the decisions and choices, and the following car always has it easier. Worth noting that the guy hit the brakes mid-bend in the preceeding right hander as he was drifting out towards that oncoming SUV. I think the problems really started there, and he was recovering from that when he saw the right-hander.
Agreed - pressure - and maybe responsibility?
Agreed.
Old 01-17-2003, 04:46 AM

Even when spring arrives and the road is dry, I can't help wondering whether my enjoyment of the car will be tempered, perhaps even marred, by worrying about precisely the kind of incident that is shown on that clip (which, let's not forget, was in the dry.....).
Sadly I was thinking exactly the same thing Mark.

R.
Old 01-17-2003, 04:46 AM

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Interesting thread.

I have been playing with race bikes for a few years and took a race school (Keith Code CA superbike)

One of the first things they teach you and hammer into your head is to Never lift the throttle when in a corner, there are lots of reasons why.

It took me a while to overcome my instinct of lifting in a corner when entering too fast.

It's One of the best things I learned in that course.

George
02 SPA
02 VFR
Old 01-17-2003, 04:47 AM

kind of related question but if you were driving briskly but minding your own business and a following car was clearly trying to keep up (i.e Nova Boy) and he loses it while following you obviously any like minded person will stop and assist, but my question could the person following end up make a case against you in some way?

this has not happened to me but the thought has crossed my mind a few times
Old 01-17-2003, 04:47 AM

I hope you guys don't mind if I chime in on this thread! I have been attending a driving school called Chinmotorsports.com here in the states and we have viewed that video you are speaking of as well as many other vehicles doing the same thing and applying throttle in a turn if your already going fast goes against all our instincts but as you know it keeps the weight transfered to our back wheels giving more traction. FINISH YOUR BRAKING BEFORE YOU ENTER THE TURN!Check out this link, it has some good video examples of correcting situations like the one discussed. You guys have some beautiful roads and I envy your scenery.
http://homepage.mac.com/on_track/virtclass.htm
Be Safe...
Nick
Ztecindustries.com
Maker of the Carbon Fiber Heatshield for the S2000
Old 01-17-2003, 04:51 AM

Originally posted by zero_to60
kind of related question but if you were driving briskly but minding your own business and a following car was clearly trying to keep up (i.e Nova Boy) and he loses it while following you obviously any like minded person will stop and assist, but my question could the person following end up make a case against you in some way?
Not a chance.

Even if by some miracle the court was prepared to accept that you owed a duty of care to the driver following you, your defence would be that the crash was caused by his own negligence. The law recognises what is called contributory negligence, that's to say where the claimant may be partly or wholly responsible for the damage sustained, even if you do owe them a duty of care. In the circumstances you describe, I think it would be quite easy to argue that the claimant was 100% contributorily negligent.
Old 01-17-2003, 04:57 AM

thanks Mark my concern was that someone could accuse the driver in front of drawing them into a trap in someway

These days if someone is really 'on my @rse' I pull over and let them by as I never ever want to see a following car losing it in a bend on account of trying to keep up with me

Quick Reply: Wipe Out - Is this a record?