UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Wipe Out - Is this a record?

Old 01-17-2003, 12:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Mark Turner

Bloody hell - ANOTHER one?! For those of you who have been on the board long enough to have seen more than this winter, I assume that this kind of loss rate isn't the norm......? I suppose it could just be that there are more S2000s being sold now.
Well we have got a lot more members on the board now, but this is the worst Winter so far for shunts. The worrying part is if these figures are in any way representsative, bearing in mind that the vast majority of owners don't even post here, then there must be a lot of S's going through the crusher!
Old 01-17-2003, 12:50 AM

Does anyone have a copy of, or know the location of, that video clip I talked about in my last post above?

Thanks

Pete
Old 01-17-2003, 12:54 AM
crash

Another one - unbelievable!!! I can safely say that this has been the worst winter ever.

Sorry to hear of your loss Iain but glad to hear that you are ok.

I honestly feel that too much is made of the LSD being a cause of accidents except in exceptional circumstances (like those recently experienced by MarkB)
I completely agree with Pete's comment re: LSD. There is absolutely no substitute for driving within the car's and, more importantly, your own capabilities.

I am not saying that you are a bad driver Iain or that you made a mistake as I do not know the circumstances of your incident.

As owners of a high performance vehicle we all have a responsibility to ourselves and other users of the road to learn how to control the car appropriately at all times.

This should be regardless of whether we have gone beyond the limit ourselves through excess speed / control inputs or through environmental factors such as traction differences at the rear which may induce the LSD to yaw and rotate the car into a spin.

Thanks for sharing your experience Iain and hope the insurance sorts you out.
Old 01-17-2003, 12:57 AM

Originally posted by PWE 896
Does anyone have a copy of, or know the location of, that video clip I talked about in my last post above?

Thanks

Pete
Pete

I think it all got a bit political, and a lot of instances of it were deleted off the web. It was all over the web at one time so I'd imagine there'd still be copies of the video out there. There were also still pics of the car upside down on the rock ravine floor.

It happened on one the US group drives IIRC, and it is a really good demonstration of just how lifting off causes the weight transfer and how little chance you have to recover.
Old 01-17-2003, 12:58 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by Cedric Tomkinson
The worrying part is if these figures are in any way representsative, bearing in mind that the vast majority of owners don't even post here, then there must be a lot of S's going through the crusher!
I hate to think what effect that this may have on our insurance premiums
Old 01-17-2003, 01:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Mark Turner
For those of you who have been on the board long enough to have seen more than this winter, I assume that this kind of loss rate isn't the norm......? I suppose it could just be that there are more S2000s being sold now.
Mark, I would say this is certainly abnormal, even given the extra cars that have been sold. Others' responses to the recent crash threads would seem support this.
Pete's reply above is spot-on - a RWD car behaves very differently when cornering and can be easily upset. Couple that with 240 bhp and you have to be very careful.

My car stays in the garage when the weather's dodgy - its not the car that I don't trust but myself.
I am eagerly looking forward to the "Safety in the S2000 - what can go wrong and how to avoid it" section - complimented with a driving course later.
Old 01-17-2003, 01:44 AM

This is honestly why I think trackday, airfield days and race schools are so valuable. I think minor twitches can be multiplied in to major incidents due to shear panic. (ie: lift off the throttle and slide helplesly in to a field!) If you get used to the limits of your car, not only will you not go over them on the road but you will instinctivley react to any twitches, slides etc.

I cannot help but observe that this car is getting a bit of a deathtrap name tag! which is not fair when its down to driver error.

Steve
Old 01-17-2003, 01:52 AM

Originally posted by PWE 896

Thanks

Pete
Pete - is this the short clip of a car going off being filmed from behind by another S2000 owner? If it is, I have a copy of that (2.7Mb zipped up) so let me know where you'd it sent.
Old 01-17-2003, 02:08 AM

Thank goodness you were OK and only the car is bent.

By my reckoning 1 car a week for the last 4 weeks has been rolled/crash and written off
Old 01-17-2003, 02:12 AM

Originally posted by Nailit
Pete - is this the short clip of a car going off being filmed from behind by another S2000 owner? If it is, I have a copy of that (2.7Mb zipped up) so let me know where you'd it sent.
You have a PM!

Quick Reply: Wipe Out - Is this a record?