UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Windscreen wash/wipe.

Old 08-13-2007, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windscreen wash/wipe.

Hiya, can anyone help me with this little problem?. If I try and use my windscreen wash/wipe option to help clear my screen the wipers work but the wash operation will not work. At first I thought it was just the washer water/fluid tank that was empty, so we topped it up still no joy there. Then we tried the old pin in the washer noozle trick, just to see if it was blocked.

But under further investigation we found that the washer motor/pump was not even working. We also checked the fuse which is just above the drivers footwell. This was ok, so basically is there any other options we can check. Is there a seperate relay for the motor/pump?. The washer pump for the headlight wash works ok and is pumping water ok.

Not really sure where to look next, as we have checked the basics. The wipers work ok by the way, can anyone help out on this one please?. Its a bit of a pain not having it working. Many thanks in advance...........cheers Maria xxx.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Is it FULL? I mean full, it will stop working IIRC when it is at a certain level
Old 08-13-2007, 11:41 AM

Yes it is full, but it stopped working when it was only half full. When we topped it up it took about 2/3rds of a litre of water. Would it help if we syphoned some water out?........thanks Maria xxx.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:47 PM

If you can get access to the pump itself you could always try to test it for continuity, or even run it independently off a 12v source to confirm if it is still working.

I'm guessing these things do fail given the fact that Halfords seem to sell a selection, and for not much money either.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:43 PM

Can you hear the pump whirring away when you try to use it with the lights off ? (i.e. just the windscreen wash, not the headlights)
If Yes, then a pipe has probably popped off somewhere.
If No, then check if you've got 12v at the pump. You probably will have if fuses are all good, in which case, you'll need a new pump. No biggy !!
Old 08-14-2007, 09:32 AM

Nice one, thanks for all the replies. What is easiest way to access the pump, is it tricky or easy?. Think we will go down the 12v testing route first......cheers Maria xxx.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:55 AM

Maria
The bottle and the pump are located in the driver's side wing, immediately behind the front wheel. Access requires removing the plastic liner from inside the wing, which itself dictates wheel removal. Nothing too complex here, but the expanding plastic inserts that hold the inner wing can be tricky to remove without damaging them.

That's the location here:

The fat tube at the top is the one going to the headlamp washers, the thinner one at the bottom is the windscreen washers.

Hope this helps
Old 08-15-2007, 09:23 AM

That's fantastic, and with a good picture to help out as well . Thank you very very much we will take a look at the weekend...........cheers Maria xxx.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:55 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Hi,

Mine went last month!

You need to turn the wheel to the right, extract Honda clips & screws & pull arch liner forward.

Squirting with silicone/rubber lubricant makes it easier to yank old one out of locating grommet & stuff new one in.

Do it quickly; you don't get too wet.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:06 AM

Thanks for the little tip Nick, but am I correct in thinking that the pump feeds the light washers as well as the windscreen washers?. Only asking because the washers for the lights work ok, so why won't the windscreen one's work . Am I going crazy here please help me out.....cheers Maria xxx.

Quick Reply: Windscreen wash/wipe.