UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Windscreen Replacement

Old 12-18-2011, 05:16 AM

Received 134 Likes on 113 Posts

I had a problem with a non-Honda screen. The metal lug onto which the mirror attaches should be 'wedge' shaped. If it's flat (ie the side furthest away from the glass is parallel to the glass), the mirror won't fit on properly and will impede the 'dip' action of the mirror, meaning you can't dip it (fully) at night. Ask for an OEM Honda screen to be sure. If they don't, then sit in the car and make sure the 'dip' action works properly. Mine only went half way, so it didn't 'clunk' as you engaged the dip, and you couldn't see out the back when dipped because it didn't sit at the correct angle.

And yes, you will need a surround.

Rgds
Chris
Old 12-18-2011, 05:29 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rob2.2
Is there any hint/tips to make the job easier if different to doing a normal car(might not have done a S2k before)
If he turns up in an AUTOGLASS wagon, tell him to get lost

Technically there is nothing special about the S2000.

No idea why so many owners think there might be?
Old 12-18-2011, 05:34 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by m1bjr
Originally Posted by rob2.2' timestamp='1324146103' post='21244919
Is there any hint/tips to make the job easier if different to doing a normal car(might not have done a S2k before)

Can you back up you opinion on AUTOGLASS with a valid reason why to do that?

I never said there was anything special did i but i just wanted to check, get peoples opinions who have had it done/replaced before
Old 12-18-2011, 05:50 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Autoglass did mine, it was fine bar the mirror issue mentioned above. The screen itself is a good fit (Pilkington).

You may get a bad fitter, but there's not a lot to distinguish until after the work is done I'm afraid.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:14 AM

Received 134 Likes on 113 Posts

Autoglass did a good (and conciencious) job with mine, and refitted an OEM screen with no issues once I'd identified the problem.

As with any franchise though, it depends on the local staff.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by m1bjr
Originally Posted by rob2.2' timestamp='1324146103' post='21244919

no problem with autoglass as Lovegroova says it's duff fitters,
No one is saying there is anything special but as they are not an every day car to the fitters they do tend to make a few mistakes i.e when refitting the mirror, trying to fit universal surround, cocky fitters like I had, oh it's S2000 fitted a few of these, after pulling in the yard and asking which car, then trying to fit the screen while he was on his mobile , the last fitters were very good but could fit the mirror as the fist one had damaged the mount on the mirror ,,,,,,,just watch them like a hawk who ever fit's it.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:39 AM
Banned

thanks Lovegroova and Chris,

i shall wait and see who turns up and what bits they have with them.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:02 AM

Just be glad you've not got to buy a new one.....Autoglass quoted us £650 for a new one for ours last week!!!!
Old 12-18-2011, 12:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by HEL Performance
Just be glad you've not got to buy a new one.....Autoglass quoted us £650 for a new one for ours last week!!!!
WOW !! and im guessing that has none of the mounting strips or mouldings

Lings shows it as £262, might be worth getting hold of Si @ Hendy Performance see what he can get you one for?
Old 12-18-2011, 01:37 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rob2.2
Originally Posted by m1bjr' timestamp='1324218569' post='21246048
[quote name='rob2.2' timestamp='1324146103' post='21244919']

Can you back up you opinion on AUTOGLASS with a valid reason why to do that?

I never said there was anything special did i but i just wanted to check, get peoples opinions who have had it done/replaced before
[/quote]

Sure, I've been around long enough not to say something I cannot back up.

I am a company car driver and have had five screens replaced by Autoglass that I can reacll in the last few years.
Every one was a crock of crap, the S2000 had to be done three times and it was still untidy about the seals.
There are two different Autoglass franchises involved here too, and a VW Passat, an S2000 and a BMW E92 and E90.

National windscreens just replaced the screen on my big bimmer again, two months ago, as an insurance job.
Even they arrived with the older E46 screen but came back later with the correct part.
The fitter was excellent and tidy, the job was perfect including the notorious issues with the auto lights and rain sensors.

I am insured with Admiral Group and they have allegedly DROPPED AUTOGLASS as first line supplier in favour of National Windcreens. AG is 'backup' service.
This is a step in the right direction IMO.

Happy?

Quick Reply: Windscreen Replacement