UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Windscreen Replacement

Old 12-17-2011, 09:21 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windscreen Replacement

I was following a lorry earlier that attacked my windscreen with a massive stone and i now need a new windscreen, Spoke to my insurance company who has got a company installing one on monday morning

Is there any hint/tips to make the job easier if different to doing a normal car(might not have done a S2k before)

cheers Rob
Old 12-17-2011, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by rob2.2
I was following a lorry earlier that attacked my windscreen with a massive stone and i now need a new windscreen, Spoke to my insurance company who has got a company installing one on monday morning

Is there any hint/tips to make the job easier if different to doing a normal car(might not have done a S2k before)

cheers Rob
Hi Rob am sure it's covered somewhere on here, i had 3 fitted before they got it right make sure it's a Honda one or a pilkington and before they fit it measure the bit where they stick the mirror as mine was to high and you couldn't get your hand round the mirror to adjust it, then check they have fitted mirror properly all 3 got this wrong and it kept vibrating, Ray had to do it as they had damaged the clip, we had to seek advise from this forum,
Old 12-17-2011, 10:01 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

See this post re vibrating mirrors - https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/814...t__p__19490916
Old 12-17-2011, 12:34 PM

Received 254 Likes on 219 Posts

Make sure that they look over the bodywork before they start and mark the install sheet acordingly, you don't want any damage during the fitting and them claiming that "it was already there guv".
Old 12-17-2011, 02:41 PM

I asked for similar advice when I had to get my windscreen replaced.

Have a look at this thread below, I'm sure it will help:

Cracked Windscreen [visited Autoglass: pics pg2] What to look out for during replacement?
Old 12-17-2011, 05:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by F3 ANG
Hi Rob am sure it's covered somewhere on here, i had 3 fitted before they got it right make sure it's a Honda one or a pilkington and before they fit it measure the bit where they stick the mirror as mine was to high and you couldn't get your hand round the mirror to adjust it, then check they have fitted mirror properly all 3 got this wrong and it kept vibrating, Ray had to do it as they had damaged the clip, we had to seek advise from this forum,
they said it wont be a genuine Honda one but it is a Pilkington one that is a exact copy just missing the Etched parts,

thanks ill take some measurements of the mirror before they start
Old 12-18-2011, 02:57 AM

You should be fine with pilkington, it was national windscreen's that did mine so check the screen before they fit as we were told it would be a pilkington the 2nd time but when they turned up it was some make Ray had never seen and they said this is the only one available and the mirror boss on this one was to high , plus Ray said he knew we were in trouble when they pulled in the yard and asked which car the screen was for(it had S2000 on his job sheet), so we had to contact the insurance who then rang national and the next day turned up with a pilkington and new Honda surround, that is actually how we found this forum as we were looking for interior pictures to compare to height of the mirror, luckily we found this forum as they were telling us this was correct and as they had broken the old one we had no way of telling, and make sure to check then double check before you sign the job off as they cannot get there money without your signature, and if they tell you the surround will settle make sure they write it on the job sheet that you sign.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:18 AM

I have had two windscreens fitted, one was a NON OEM and it was rubbish, it steamed up like you wouldn't believe I think mostly that was due to the seals not firtting correctly. Anyhow got them to replace that with a 'proper' OEM one and replace the seals too now much happier ... but on a recent run around Wales (MM7 in fact) I got a stone chip courtesy of Martin , but got that repaired for free ... fit OEM or Pilkington and insist on the proper seals you won't go far wrong.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by s2k_Nut
fit OEM or Pilkington and insist on the proper seals you won't go far wrong.
Is there a seal that needs replacing then? i thought all screens where bonded in?

just pulled this info from Lings

Ref. Part Number Honda Description Price(Each) Required QTY
1 PFKL219189 RUBBER SET, FR. WINDSHIELD DAM £33.67 001
2 PFKL791578 GLASS SET, FR. WINDSHIELD (GREEN) (AGC) £264.92 001
3 PFKL791674 SEAL A, FR. WINDSHIELD MOLDING £2.81 002
4 PFKL791772 SEAL, FR. WINDSHIELD MOLDING SIDE £5.44 002
5 PFKL791926 MOLDING, FR. WINDSHIELD £128.10 001
6 PFKL861974 LABEL, SRS CAUTION (CHILD SEAT) £5.04 001
7 PFKL1013541 FASTENER A, WINDSHIELD £7.37 002
8 PFKL1013557 FASTENER B, WINDSHIELD £7.20 002

If he does not turn up with the seal do i NOT let him fit it and does it need replacing every time?

Thanks for everyone's helpful input so far
Old 12-18-2011, 04:46 AM

it's not a seal as you say the screen is bonded in, it's the exterior moulding item 5 but it is bonded in at the same time as the screen and usual gets damaged when removing the old screen, be careful as some replacement company's use universal one are it fits and looks crap so insist on oem moulding.

Quick Reply: Windscreen Replacement