UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Windscreen Replacement :(

Old 01-16-2015, 02:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guy said that because there is another (albeit very small) chip within 100mm of the main crack that he can't do a repair on it. He advised me to keep the screen until it cracks further and then book back in for a new screen.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:00 AM

Received 134 Likes on 113 Posts

Make sure your new screen has the correct wedge shaped rear view mirror boss (as opposed to a flat one), or the mirror 'dip' function won't work.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:04 AM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Not sure how many on here have had the problem, but I have read many instances where the replacement glass does not fit as well and as Chrispayze mentions, where the mirror button does not fit correctly. You ideally want the glass to come from the same manufacturer who made the original one. (Look at the black writing in the bottom corner, Supplier name should be written there).

Good Luck
Old 01-16-2015, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by chrispayze
Make sure your new screen has the correct wedge shaped rear view mirror boss (as opposed to a flat one), or the mirror 'dip' function won't work.
Oh ok, didn't know about that so thanks very much!
Old 01-16-2015, 03:07 AM

Received 134 Likes on 113 Posts

No probs, I went through 2 screen changes till I compared with an OEM screen and saw the difference.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:11 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

It's often easier to get them to remove the existing boss from the old screen, and bond it on the new screen.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:43 AM

If you get the option DO NOT USE the AA. It took them 6 missed appoinments and over a month to replace my screen last year, I was bloody fuming.

With reference the mirror boss, make sure it's in the right position too. Although the boss on my replacement screen is the correct type, it is postioned too high on the glass which causes problems because the mirror fouls on the trim above. I would measure the distance on your current screen and compare it against the new screen BEFORE it's fitted. Did I mention DON'T USE THE AA?
Old 01-16-2015, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by Wobbly
If you get the option DO NOT USE the AA. It took them 6 missed appoinments and over a month to replace my screen last year, I was bloody fuming.

With reference the mirror boss, make sure it's in the right position too. Although the boss on my replacement screen is the correct type, it is postioned too high on the glass which causes problems because the mirror fouls on the trim above. I would measure the distance on your current screen and compare it against the new screen BEFORE it's fitted. Did I mention DON'T USE THE AA?
Haha, with the insurance companies I use it's usually national windscreens (crap) or autoglass (slightly less crap). Thanks for your warning of the AA though and your recommendation for measuring the boss.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:55 AM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Having personally worked close with glass supplier, I would not want to have them remove the existing boss and fit to new screen. Too much chance of damaging the boss or having weak bonding. Just make sure they supply the correct one. Check what they have with them before they start removing yours.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had 2 done within the space of 4 weeks! First was a brick about the size of a tennis ball - luckily there was no one in the passenger seat as it went right through. Second was a massive chip that couldn't be repaired. They first replacement was fine the second however, the guy took a massive chunk out my dash when removing the old screen. It cannot be repaired so a new dash is needed. Unfortunately I was at work when it was damaged so they won't accept liability... Watch over them when they do it!

Quick Reply: Windscreen Replacement :(