UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Windscreen repairs

Old 09-29-2004, 01:19 AM
Al2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Windscreen repairs

Was in the garage last night applying some 303 to the roof (good stuff!), cleaning the windows, and generally making the S look pretty again after MM1, when I noticed a small stone chip which has 'starfished' slightly on the windscreen
I'm not overly-concerned because it happens to be outside the general span of vision, but am still a bit as the car has only done 2.5k miles - but still a very small price to pay for a great weekend!

What I was wondering, more out of interest than anything, was whether anyone has used one of these repairers, how they actually do it, and is the repair at all visible? (I can't believe you can repair glass and not be able to see the evidence!). And, of course what the cost of one small chip is likely to be?
If it's fairly cheap, any recommendations of companies to use?
Cheers in advance.

Al

P.S. FINALLY got round to parting with my $20 and becoming a member!!
Old 09-29-2004, 01:30 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Had many chips in the screen repaired, the first being 2 days after they I got my car.

Cost is approx
Old 09-29-2004, 01:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The repair will be visible. The repair makes it look better than it did, but it's still visible.
I've got one right in front of me, and another due to be repaired six inches to the left of that one. Both incurred in my first 7000 miles of driving

Check your insurance, most comprehensive policys cover it, and it won't impace your no claims bonus.
Old 09-29-2004, 02:29 AM

I've had two done, one was totally invisible, the other was larger and could still be very slightly seen.
Old 09-29-2004, 02:37 AM

just had mine fixed. .was free with the insurance..

However, I asked for the price of teh honda window and they said
Old 09-29-2004, 04:51 AM
Xd

Sorry to hear about the chipped windscreen Al, I agree with the above. There must have been at least half a dozen stones bouncing off my windscreen over the meet. In all its part of christening the car, giving it a bit of character...... Or you could just keep it in the garage.

Congrats on becomming a member, was it all the nagging over the weekend that did it?
Old 09-29-2004, 05:02 AM

Don't make the same mistake as me . Had a stone chip on the bottom of the windscreen in the black mask area. Didn't worry about it because it wasn't visible from the inside......until I washed the car when it was very sunny As soon as the sponge touched the windscreen....crack!!!...one foot up and across the windscreen What would have been a cheap repair is now turned into a new windscreen. Fortunately, insurance will cover it and I keep my NCB for the cost of
Old 09-29-2004, 05:22 AM
PSC

Cover the chip as soon as possible, to prevent dirt getting through to the laminate film (dirt will make the chip/crack more visible).

I make a "band-aid" out of some magic tape (cellotape 3M) and some hard plastic, as you also do not want the glue from the tape going into the crack/chip.

If it's any consolation I had my car for 3 days before I got my first chip

-- Paul

<---- Missing flag !!!
Old 09-29-2004, 07:52 AM
Al2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TinTop,Sep 29 2004, 01:51 PM
Congrats on becomming a member, was it all the nagging over the weekend that did it?
Nah, nothing to do with it, don't know what you're talking about....
Old 09-29-2004, 10:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's a lot to be said for actually getting the windscreen replaced IMO.
The OEM screen is crap and chips very easily. A replacement Pilkington is a sensible mod.

Quick Reply: Windscreen repairs