UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Windscreen Distortion

Old 08-17-2003, 04:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windscreen Distortion

guys apologies for posting this in the main forum as it's related to my newly bought A4...figured it would get lost in 'muppet'

Basically when you look at the windshield from the driver's seat and look across you can see vertical lines............like waves in the screen!

Driving it for any distance and I feel like I am wearing 'dodgy' glasses....has anyone experienced this in any other car? It was replaced by the garage as the old one had the same characteristic, I can't believe the new one is also like this
Old 08-17-2003, 05:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you wearing specs or polarized sungalsses?
Old 08-17-2003, 05:42 AM

no, nothing but my own eyes.....it's very noticeable....especially if outside the car and looking across

When driving the car it makes you feel like you are going cross-eyed....it's worrying me because it's a brand new screen...if they are all like this I'll end up having to reject the car
Old 08-17-2003, 05:59 AM

Doesn't sound right does it? I have a pair of Rayban polarized sunglasses I used to use for clay shooting. In certain light they throw up the toughening pattern in the screen and it goes virtually opaque. Needless to say I don't use 'em for driving.
Old 08-17-2003, 07:14 AM

just been back from another drive and my eyes are bonkers...it's definately not right.....will be taking it to the dealership tomorrow afternoon

leaving my parents now so 'off line' until the morning...I really need to get a PC
Old 08-17-2003, 01:55 PM

It's not one of those heated screens is it. They have very fine wires in them for demisting on frosty days.
Old 08-17-2003, 10:23 PM

it's just a regular screen. The distortion is even more obvious if you look through the screen crouching down just outside the car looking over the steering wheel

In the car you can see faint 'waves' that makes the outside world 'shimmer' like the surface of a pond

I checked some other cars I have access to and the same effect is present but not to the same degree. The S2000 screen in barely affected

I am going to the dealership this afternoon to look at other A4's and see if they are all like it

This is a tad worrying as if the car is 'normal' and nothing wrong with it................thing is I noticed on the test drive my eyes were going bonkers and they agreed to replace the screen. It's not something I've ever had on my car buying check list:-

check you can see through the windscreen without going boss eyed?
Old 08-18-2003, 12:25 AM

found this on the Audi Forum

Windshield Distortion Problem - FIXED!

Posted by Dale B on 1999-02-05 13:29:44
I've done a lot of complaining over the last year or so regarding distortion "waves" in the factory Audi glass. (Sort of like vertical stripes in the glass that turn horizontal lines outside the car into wavy lines - annoying while driving). I had 2 replacement factory windshields installed, and all exhibited varying degrees of the problem. Today, I had a PPG windshield installed by Novus. No waves! (A PPG one I looked at a year or so ago did have a trace of this wavyness, but it is undetectible on this one).
Disadvantages of the PPG, non-factory glass:
- Mirror bracket has to be glued on instead of coming already mounted, so you're at the mercy of the technician's skill.
- Fade-out black paint dots around the edge of the glass are painted on the inside surface instead of between the glass layers. (I can't ever see this being a problem unless a person is in the habit of using a razor blade to clean the windshield).
- The edges of the PPG glass aren't smoothed and rounded like the German glass. However, all of the edges are covered by trim anyway.
Advantages of PPG glass:
- No distortion waves!
- It is slightly thicker than the German glass. That should provide more resistance to cracking and road debris damage.
So, my recommendation to anyone having a windshield replaced, unless they are totally happy with the factory glass (and have never noticed distortion in any A4) is to go with PPG (or other non-factory brand).
Old 08-18-2003, 01:42 AM

Bloody Hell zero, it's a common problem then! I wonder if Audi are fitting them prescription windscreens ala the Big Yin?
Old 08-18-2003, 01:57 AM

what's worrying me is that if this is a 'charactaristic' of the car I've not a leg to stand on....it's like saying you want to reject a car because you can't get comfortable in the seats

Sadly Audi don't do the Honda 30 day 'give the car back' thing...Starting to wish I'd changed the Audi for a Honda now

Quick Reply: Windscreen Distortion