UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Windscreen chip - repair or replace?

Old 09-18-2009, 02:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by corgi_watkins,Sep 18 2009, 01:18 AM
Assuming that just because something is OEM it is "better" is probably wide of the mark... these things are made to a price/quality compromise...
There might be better alternatives for the windscreens, my experience is from using other parts.

Have you ever rebuild an engine? Using pattern, aftermarket and OEM parts?

I've used blueprint parts, spoon, HKS, King, ACL, you name it. Piston rings, HG's, bearings, whatever on D/B series Honda. Also RB26 skyline engines, SR20/C18 200sx engines.

None of them worked as well as OEM, why do you think they last 200+ thousand miles.

Most spoon stuff like 2-layer HG's are reworked OEM Honda parts.

IMO I am not wide of the mark.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All done in 45 minutes. Need to wait an hour before driving it. Looks like a good job. New seals too. Mirror looks ok (though I won't touch it for a while). Assuming it doesn't fall out on the way home I'm happy. Some pics showing it's a Pilkington screen. No sign of a Honda badge on it. Parts used according to the advice note below also.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm happy (so far).

Tim
Old 09-18-2009, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Beardie,Sep 18 2009, 06:30 AM
I would recommend that you do not get them to fit a Honda windscreen, they're renowned for being prone to chipping on the S.

A good Pilkington replacement is going to be much more resistant to chips.
+1

My original honda screen seemed to pick up chips weekly. The non-oem replacement didn't get a single one in two years after I had it replaced. Seemed much tougher.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by buaan,Sep 18 2009, 10:22 AM
There might be better alternatives for the windscreens, my experience is from using other parts.

Have you ever rebuild an engine? Using pattern, aftermarket and OEM parts?

I've used blueprint parts, spoon, HKS, King, ACL, you name it. Piston rings, HG's, bearings, whatever on D/B series Honda. Also RB26 skyline engines, SR20/C18 200sx engines.

None of them worked as well as OEM, why do you think they last 200+ thousand miles.

Most spoon stuff like 2-layer HG's are reworked OEM Honda parts.

IMO I am not wide of the mark.
What has rebuilding an engine got to do with replacing the windscreen?

I was referring to, in this case, the windscreen. As I said to assume that the OEM part is better than one produced by an alternative manufacturer is likely to result in disappointment.

As Honda (and in fact most vehicle manufacturers) themselves do not manufacture these and many other parts that are found on the cars they produce. These things are not built to be best quality, they are made as cheaply as possible for the required specification.

I've built/rebuilt engines in the past (a couple BMC A-Series and others non of which are as glamorous as the RB26 and the others you mention) and used high quality parts, sometimes/often, non-OEM to do it.

Now it may be in the engines you mention that higher quality parts were used (hardly surprising given the nature of the original designs) because Honda/Nissan (or whoever) believed that they could charge a premium for the less compromised/extra quality/higher spec components used and; therefore, there is less requirement for for non-OEM tuning gubbings when rebuilding or tuning these engines

For example, where the OEM parts were not up to the job of taking the extra load or just not as good as they could have been for the budget we had e.g. crank, rods, pistons, valves, head (swapped 5 port to 8 port) etc. These, strangely, worked better than the OEM parts...

OK, they might have, in some cases, started off as OEM parts but once modified/changed they cease to become OEM...

I think I could probably point to as many standard F20C's that expired at less than 50K miles as you could point at that had exceeded 200K miles without a rebuild...

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion even if it is wide of the mark As I am to mine, even if that is wide of the mark too...
Old 09-18-2009, 08:12 AM

I've had four S's and the way the screen gets sand blasted with little chips is one of my bug bears.
I WILL NOT be putting an OEM one in when the chip I haven't repaired cracks the screen

OP looks like they did a reasonable job
Old 09-18-2009, 11:27 AM

fwiw, OEM doesnt mean the best quality.

look at the various tyre brands, head units, speakers, brakes, seats, suspension parts, bushes etc etc etc that manufactures could fit, but don't. the list is almost endless!

god knows how much a new windscreen is for the S. the passenger side window was
Old 09-18-2009, 01:04 PM

I've had many a chip in our Cooper S windscreen (very upright screen - stones don't deflect well!!!). Have had 3 repaired now (all free) by autoglass under insurance, they just come out and inject a reson into the chip.

10 miles into our 2500 mile road trip to france a few years ago, following a big jag on M4 on route to dover, what can only be described as an armageddon sized meteor flew up and put a tasty chip in the screen....not a good start!!! next 2400 miles painless...apart from the Toll charges of course!
Old 09-18-2009, 03:59 PM

What has rebuilding an engine got to do with replacing the windscreen
Nothing, If I replace my windscreen I'll use a pilkinson one after reading this thread. It's good to know the Honda glass is naff for future reference

I was commenting on my experience of engine related OEM parts, and the fact that in my opinion they are good quality and reliable when compared to some other options.

I also think most F20C engine failures at 50k are unfortunately the result of cracked retainers or low oil. If serviced properly I'd like to think mine will last another 70k miles

By the way I'd rather work on a A series mini engine over a ponsy RB26 any day, much more enjoyable My first two cars were minis and my grandfather had MGB's

look at the various tyre brands, head units, speakers, brakes, seats, suspension parts, bushes etc etc etc that manufactures could fit, but don't. the list is almost endless!
If you want the best of every part available, go buy a supercar and not a
Old 09-19-2009, 08:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by buaan,Sep 18 2009, 08:17 AM
Interesting. Where did you read that they are renowned for chipping?
7 years of ownership and whoring on this site, plus 2 S's and 4 windscreens.