UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Windscreen chip - repair or replace?

Old 09-15-2009, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windscreen chip - repair or replace?

Hi All,

My GF was driving the car the other day and got a large stone chip just above the driver's wiper. Given that local chavs chucked a brick at my car recently I wouldn't be surprised if the stone had been chucked too. Anyway, I need your opinions on if it's too big or in the wrong place to repair. It's about the size of a pound coin. I don't want to claim a new wind screen on insurance partly due to my excess (
Old 09-15-2009, 09:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I doubt that will get any better with a fill/repair but you can always try. Get it covered with something like some tape/sticker so water doesn't get into it. Watch the autoglass advert on TV lol

Are you fully comp?

If so you pay a
Old 09-15-2009, 09:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ouch...I'd get that seen to by a pro. They should make the call as they know how bad it is, and what can be fixed. That's what I'd do, and go from there.

As for your insurance, the excess will be between
Old 09-15-2009, 12:38 PM

Thanks. According to Autoglass here they can repair a chip up to the size of a 2pound coin (ok), must be at least 6cm away from the edge (ok) and not in the drivers line of site if over 10mm (not ok). However I would argue that from a drivers view all you see beyond the chip is the wiper blade and bonnet edge. ie it does not obscure the view of the road ahead. Guess all I can do is ask. Fingers crossed.

T
Old 09-17-2009, 12:09 PM

Thanks. Just booked Autoglass. They will be coming to my work tomorrow afternoon to replace the screen as they will not repair a chip of that size in the driver's view no matter where. Costing me
Old 09-17-2009, 01:55 PM

Let us know how you got on. I've got a couple of chips in my windscreen now too and feel like I should get it sorted with a new one rather than just the usual melt and glue job.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:04 PM

They shouldn't load with a windscreen claim. It's not made a difference on mine anyhow. Glad it's sorted it either way.

You'll soon notice it when the new glass is in, it's crystal clear
Old 09-17-2009, 10:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=buaan,Sep 15 2009, 06:35 PM] Also demand that autoglass/RAC windscreens use a genuine honda windscreen and seal. I had a big fight to get them to fit a genuine to my Import CRX in November, costing my insurance over
Old 09-17-2009, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Beardie,Sep 17 2009, 10:30 PM
I would recommend that you do not get them to fit a Honda windscreen, they're renowned for being prone to chipping on the S.
Interesting. Where did you read that they are renowned for chipping?

In the case of my Import CRX the car had a bronze screen, Autoglass tried to order/fit a clear and blue tinted screen 4 times before actually fitting the correct part and genuine seal using the part numbers I provided.

Also I hear some fitters prefer to fit a transit van seal as it is a generic shape? Any truth in this?

I am an OEM part whore, after many engine rebuilds using genuine Honda parts I found they are of superior quality to any other parts I've used.

The windscreen it seems must be an exception Mine does have a few tiny chips but no cracks.

Take some pics when it's fitted
Old 09-18-2009, 01:18 AM

I suspect that Honda do not make the glass and they use a supplier who can supply the spec they require at the lowest price.

Assuming that just because something is OEM it is "better" is probably wide of the mark... these things are made to a price/quality compromise...

Quick Reply: Windscreen chip - repair or replace?