UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Windscreen Advice

Old 08-09-2004, 01:56 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Windscreen Advice

Yes, sure enough, the tiniest stone graze has caused a horizontal stress fracture just above the licence holder.

It wasn't there at the Herts meet and seems to have appeared overnight, as I only noticed it on Sunday.

Before I phone Tesco Insurance, I just wanted to know if anyone can recommend a windscreen service in the area?

Karen's Civic was done by a bunch of aresholes in Harlow (no surprise there!) who managed not to fit it straight, chewed up the clips, etc. That was after turning up twice with the wrong windscreen. I've never got it properly clean, either.

I might insist that I take the car to Norton Way (new rubber required anyway!), but I thought I'd check the Oracle first.
Old 08-09-2004, 02:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a windscreen on my old Golf done by RAC Windscreen people and they were pretty good - came to the house and did a really nice job.

And if they do make an arse of it, they are a big enough company to sort it out without any probs
Old 08-09-2004, 02:43 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

When it happened to me, i claimed on tesco and they arranged Auto Windscreens or someone for me
Old 08-09-2004, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by AquilaEagle,Aug 9 2004, 11:43 AM
When it happened to me, i claimed on tesco and they arranged Auto Windscreens or someone for me
That's what I'm afraid of!

It was Autoscreens, or one of these national Quik-Shit type places at Burnt Mill, Harlow!
Old 08-09-2004, 03:26 AM

Had mine done by National Windscreens - result was a car full of broken and powdered glass, and blood on the gearknob and passenger seat.

Not much help in recommending anyone I'm afraid, just another outfit to avoid.
Old 08-09-2004, 03:35 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

It wasnt National windsweens that did mine. Auto something. Autoglass, auto windscreens, not sure. but they were very good, no problems like you describe Mark But i guess it depends on the installer
Old 08-09-2004, 04:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How long is the fracture? If its under 1/2" I think the windscreen repair people should be able to fix it with a resin repair (get them out ASAP though before it gets worse). It won't be invisible but it should stop it spreading and it would be better than risking having the trims messed up and maybe a new screen incorrectly bonded!

Who you use may depend on your insurance (not unusual for the ins co to insist on certain repairers, or a restricted claim)
Old 08-09-2004, 05:10 AM

Mike, this is an S2K!

A tiny ding close to the screen pillar inevitaably leads to a horizontal stress fracture across the glass. It's almost like the screen frame flexes 1/4 way up.

The screen is fcuked, basically.
Old 08-09-2004, 05:19 AM

Very much hit and miss unfortunately.

I had one fitted after 20K after a slight bit of air on SM2

It was really well fitted, no problems - good service.

Had one fitted after SCM2 - lasted one mile before a crack appeared

Had a second one fitted last wednesday, didn't drive it until friday, when it cracked again - different side but same area - 2-3inches from the A-pillar. I'm getting yet ANOTHER one on Friday !

Every time it's been fitted by Autowindscreens. All depends on the fitter I quess !
Old 08-09-2004, 05:29 AM

rralston,

That's sort of what I'm anticipating here!

I've spoken to Tesco's, as usual it's all a con:

If I use their AutoScreens people, it's

Quick Reply: Windscreen Advice