UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Window problems

Old 05-14-2012, 01:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window problems

I haven’t posted here for a while but remember what a helpful lot you all are so I wonder whether you might be able to help with a recent issue with my S.

I have an original Silverstone MY99 which is extremely reliable (when I don’t crash it) and my wife and I really enjoy it. The car went in for its annual service recently with our usual dealer. The passenger door inside latch had become sort of loose some time before (through accidentally locking the door via the fob whilst the passenger had the inside latch open) so the garage was asked to sort this out. They called ahead to say that a little work would be needed removing the door card, poking around, adjusting or replacing anything as necessary; fair enough, so they went ahead and did the repairs.

Shortly after we noticed a buzz from the passenger door speaker and concluded that something had not been tightened up properly following the work. Shortly thereafter, we noticed that the passenger door window was not working and the roof did not drop (I presumed because the window was not dropping). It was not the usual ‘switch issue’ and the driver’s window worked fine.

Again, I assumed this was down to the recent works – the window has worked fine for the past 13 or so years and stopped working only two weeks after the garage had done work to that very door.

However, I just heard back from the garage who tell me that in fact this is a coincidence and the problem lies with the roof control module which sits somewhere in the engine bay. This will cost me £335 all in to repair. The mechanic was adamant that they had spent a lot of time tracing the problem and it was definitely the module at fault – not the recent works. It still seems like a heck of a coincidence to me.

Any thoughts? Should I just trust the garage and cough up the additional cash or does this all sound unlikely?

jm
Old 05-14-2012, 03:26 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Always get a 2nd opinion.
Take it somewhere else and ask them what the problem is.

Minvo.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The control unit does not live in the engine bay, it lives under the dash.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I reckon they realised they stuffed something up and are trying to make some easy money out of it

I would take it somewhere else, if you go pick the car up from this 1st garage they might well have fixed it already while checking what was wrong behind the door card!
Old 05-14-2012, 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by loftust

The control unit does not live in the engine bay, it lives under the dash.
Yeah - just discovered that with a bit of searching around the US site. At the very least I would want a breakdown of the charges for labour as it looks like a very quick swap and plug in job. I have seen elsewhere on the forum however that the passenger window and roof are controlled together so that adds credibility - I otherwise couldn't fathom why the driver's window was fine uless it was their c0ck up with the driver's door.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:54 AM

I would undo the 3 or 4 screws that hold the doorcard on and pop it off yourself.
Check that the connector for the passengers side window switch unit is securely plugged in as it would have been unplugged when they took the doorcard off previously and might have worked its way loose if it wasn't fully clipped back in.

Could be something as simple as that.... worth a shot for 5 minutes work.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:35 AM

it sounds like your soft top control box is gone.mine went a month ago while i was messing installing a car radio.they may be sensitive to anyone tampering with car electrics.

a replacment box should cost £30-£40 from a breaker and take no more than 20 mins to fit even if your useless with your hands like me!.the hardest part is popping the six fastners (carefull not to break the facia )on the panel to get at the box.

£335 is a joke.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by gambit-irl
it sounds like your soft top control box is gone.mine went a month ago while i was messing installing a car radio.they may be sensitive to anyone tampering with car electrics.

a replacment box should cost £30-£40 from a breaker and take no more than 20 mins to fit even if your useless with your hands like me!.the hardest part is popping the six fastners (carefull not to break the facia )on the panel to get at the box.

£335 is a joke.
Thanks for the advice; sounds like the way to go. Can anyone tell me whetehr the control boxes are the same throughout the years? Any recommended breaker 'brokers'?

Your story does also make me wonder whether they themselves may have caused the problem when fiddling inside the door of course...
Old 05-14-2012, 11:06 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Try proving it!

Gambit is right.

I used Douglas Valley breakers for my lump.

I think I used a website that pings all the breakers & you wait for an answer.

Some are more competent than others...
Old 05-14-2012, 10:20 PM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Got a soft top module if you need it mate.

PM if you need it and I'll wing it over. Do as others have said though, check the door wiring yourself, does sound like a massive coincidence!

Quick Reply: Window problems