UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

will i be impressed

Old 07-20-2002, 11:01 AM
mrT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will i be impressed

Hi S2000 owners,

Icurrently own a z3 2ltr i have had her for 2 years and have to admit that i have enjoyed every minute.

however having been int0 a honda dealer today i have convinced myself that i must have one, the car is a corker.
can anyone convince me that i will be pleased with the purchase, perhaps some of you guys/gals have been previous Z3 owners?

any advice would be appreciated.

thanks
mr T
Old 07-20-2002, 11:12 AM

If your Z3 was only a 2L youll be blown away by the performance. The handling should also be much sharper the the Z3. Only the Z3M is faster, the 3.0 is the closest Z3 in performance terms.
Old 07-20-2002, 11:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello MrT

You don't say whether you got a test drive in the S? I suspect the answer is "No" as that's the clincher for most people!

You clearly like soft top 2 seaters so at least this isn't new territory. You'll find few people here who are into deriding other marques, generally we're just a bunch of car freaks who can find something to like about all cars.

The thing about the S2000 is that it is totally different to anything else on offer. 2 litres, the rev limiter cuts in at 9200 revs in each of 6 gears. It's not a lazy drivers car, you need to exploit the rev range and the gearbox to exploit it's maximum performance potential which is quite astounding. For that reason it's not everyone's cup of tea. It's a very close call really between the performance of this car and the Boxster S. The two cars are very evenly matched. I'll give the nod to the Boxster,... drivers being equal, but it's 10 grand more than the S

You'll find lots of members on this board by the way who have owned M3s, Evo 7s 911s and other quicker machinery who'll tell you the S is the most exciting car they've driven so it's not all down to straight line performance.

This car really is very very different and you need to get a test drive to begin to understand why. My guess is once you've done that we'll be seeing another regular very happy contributer.
Old 07-20-2002, 12:44 PM

Received 241 Likes on 214 Posts

If you've ever been a biker or a karter you'll love the S2000. if you want to be featherbedded and taken care of (Impreza, Boxster) - and nothing wrong with that - it is not for you. I had a friend once who had a Z3 2.0 and my impression was of a shaky (unrigid) high up under-powered ride. Superficially sexy but not really a balls out drivers car.

The S2000 gives back what you put in. It can take you higher than you can handle. For
Old 07-20-2002, 01:12 PM

Received 241 Likes on 214 Posts

I thought I missed something - MrT, you are lucky enough to be in the same town as one of the main S2000 geezers in the UK, one 'Tifosi Red'. Your days are numbered. No chance you will not be HOOKED on the S2000 and possibly waxed to death. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

Rog
Old 07-20-2002, 02:55 PM

I road-tested a Z3 3.0 (24 hours), a TT 225 (6 hours) and the S2000 (2 hours)

I bought the S2000

The S2000 is an all out, PROPER, sports car whilst, with all due respect, the Z3 is a 2 seat convertible (IMHO)

Get one; you will never regret it

Pete
Old 07-20-2002, 03:03 PM

It depends what you enjoyed about the Z3.

I have to admit I looked at the Z3 2.0L as this is one of the few RHD models sold in Japan, but at the time the car seemed expensive, old tech and no quicker than a MX5 1.8. Actually I would go for an MX5 over a Z3 2.0L as it is a lot better value for money.

S2000, a jewel of an engine that snorts out 250bhp - very powerful brakes coupled to a stiff chassis....no expensive options to add and cheap to maintain. If you've got
Old 07-20-2002, 03:21 PM
Banned

Up the north'aners
Old 07-20-2002, 10:24 PM

will you be impressed oh i think so if you take the air box cover off you may wet your pants we are talking sex on wheels here
Jeremy Clarkson says if you want to get baked, frozen or whipped to death, the best, the number one, the absolute best convertable in the UK is the HONDA S 2000 thats good enough for me, but then again I had owned one for 20 months
Only one problem, when you are older the grinning marks on your face take longer to receed : futher than that I can not really help with your question:
As for Autocar the paper is too glossy for use in the bog!
Old 07-21-2002, 01:01 AM
mrT

Originally posted by arsie
I thought I missed something - MrT, you are lucky enough to be in the same town as one of the main S2000 geezers in the UK, one 'Tifosi Red'. Your days are numbered. No chance you will not be HOOKED on the S2000 and possibly waxed to death. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

Rog
hi arsie,

i often visit norwich to see the g/friends parents,

so perhaps you may see me a new S2000 silver in the next couple of months or so

Quick Reply: will i be impressed