UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.
View Poll Results: Do you think honda will raise the techincal bar again/
Yes
32.69%
No
42.31%
Maybe
25.00%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Will honda ever release a worthy successor to s2k

Old 04-07-2007, 12:27 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Will honda ever release a worthy successor to s2k

For me the reason why i bought the S2000 was for its engine and looks.

Honda raised the tecnical bar by realising IMO the best 2.0 N/A engine ever produced.

The START button, the 6 seconds roof, the 240bhp 2.0 n/a engine, the long nose, the engine sound, the sexy curves.

Now i just cant see it, the s2000CR is just a way of increasing its lifespan a poor one at that.

I would like to see a 2.4 engine revving to 8000 or even 9000rpm, i guess its possible but i cant see honda realising anything as special as the s2000 was, IMO though they are capable

views/comments?
Old 04-07-2007, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I very much doubt it.

The S2000 IIRC was a one-off "celebration", and it has been far too long without proper development, no plans for a replacement are even being considered AFAIK, so they are too far behind the game to develop a new car.

It needs improved handling, better steering and (a little) more power to compete properly, and on the basis of diminishing returns that would cost more money that the beancounters could make a case for.

Sadly, if you want a replacement, it won't be coming from Honda in the short or medium term IMHO.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:36 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

IMO its starting to show its age, it still is remarkable for its age. But as you say honda has fallen behind the competition as the years have past.

Still love it though.

An 8 year old design
Old 04-07-2007, 02:42 PM
Banned

Refreshing to hear criticism from current owners.
Old 04-07-2007, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Successor?

The car isn't finished yet
Old 04-07-2007, 03:51 PM

Honda will undoubtably return with another, better roadster, but it'll probably be the best part of 10-15 yrs before it breaks cover. The S2K turned up 10 years after the NSX, and I'm sure the NSX replacement (to tired to remember what its called!) will come along in a couple of years. Given that dev cycle I'd expect a new roadster in 2020 or thereabouts.

On that basis alone I think it's worth buying a brand new S2K in a couple of years time. Based on a couple of blasts today, how much more fun do you need??
Old 04-08-2007, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by alibee,Apr 7 2007, 11:51 PM
Honda will undoubtably return with another, better roadster, but it'll probably be the best part of 10-15 yrs before it breaks cover. The S2K turned up 10 years after the NSX, and I'm sure the NSX replacement (to tired to remember what its called!) will come along in a couple of years. Given that dev cycle I'd expect a new roadster in 2020 or thereabouts.

On that basis alone I think it's worth buying a brand new S2K in a couple of years time. Based on a couple of blasts today, how much more fun do you need??
the S2000 and the NSx are exercises for Honda. They are not mainstream cars, were never intended to be so. Honda make engines primarily, they also make a lot of ordinary, very competent, very reliable cars, bikes and trucks etc.
This is their business.
I think from time to time they just blow off a little steam with the odd NSX or S2000 just to prove they can do it if they choose to.

I love the S2000 for what it is. But let's face it it is flawed in several areas. It's why I like it so much there is no pretending it's other than what it is. You can see that the engineers are doing something else now by the lack of development since '04. Even my '05 has the tywrap fix on the MAP sensor. If this was a Civic or a CRV that would have been developed out in 6 months. The fact that it's still there tells you everything you need to know.

Once they are F1 world champs then we'll see a new sports car from them.
Old 04-08-2007, 02:10 AM
Banned

Honda have lost the plot. Their F1 team is a complete disaster, and I have to say their road car range is in a similar state.

If they release a replacement it will have solar panels for bodywork and probably run on flowers. Honda are ####ed.
Old 04-08-2007, 02:27 AM

I think they have a pretty good road car range TBH - much better than 10 years ago - considering they are not part of a major manufacturer group and much smaller than Toyota.

They fall down now on the sports/performance side, but they are a business at the end of the day, and if they can't make a good business case for decent sportscars, it's understandable that they stay out of that market.

If a company with the resources of Toyota has decided to opt out of sports and performance, then it doesn't hold out much hope for the rest of the Japanese makers competing properly with the Germans in this market (sadly - as the German offerings aren't good VFM).
Old 04-08-2007, 02:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If they do and it's good i'll buy one

For me though the S2000 we have now has lots of room for improvement so i'm quite happy with the one I have making it gradually better.

Rick

Quick Reply: Will honda ever release a worthy successor to s2k