UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

why did Honda put these here...

Old 10-09-2009, 07:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Owen_1987,Oct 9 2009, 03:48 PM
I'm no aerodynamics engineer but I don't think that theory would work
Think about it from this point of view. Honda DO have aerodynamic engineers.

I'm sure they wouldn't have bothered putting these on, spending more money for development and implementation if they weren't required.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so to sum up then from the above article they are "in-fill panels to shield off cavities, deflectors located ahead of wheels" for undercar aerodynamics.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:02 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Owen_1987,Oct 9 2009, 04:12 PM
I don't see how this would stop the front from lifting as they aren't angled for downforce.
SAE Document Number: 2004-01-1307

Date Published: March 2004

Author(s):
Simone Sebben - Volvo Car Corp.

Abstract:
Numerical simulations of a detailed car underbody have been carried out using a commercial code. The objective of the present study was to decrease vehicle aerodynamic drag by placing front-wheel deflectors and to understand the influence of these extra details on the underbody flow. A base-model and five different configurations have been investigated and analyzed. The results are presented in terms of drag and front and rear lift values. In addition, the drag contribution of individual parts/areas of the underbody is also presented, which helps a great deal the understanding of the effect of front-wheels deflectors on the underbody of a vehicle. The results show that, in most cases, front-wheel deflectors are very effective in reducing overall aerodynamic drag (values around dCd = -0.010 were calculated, which correspond to a 4% reduction in drag). However, the deflector itself has a significant contribution to the final drag, and its shape and location should be optimized in order to maximize its effect.

HTH>?
Steve.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:06 AM

the second part of the above article talks more about these stakes http://autospeed.com/cms/A_2456/article.html

This bit is quite interesting; "while these deflectors can reduce drag, if they are too large, drag can actually be increased. Further, in nearly all cases, the flat deflectors cause an increase in front lift."
Old 10-09-2009, 08:11 AM

I think the evidence is conclusive then so i'm going to put them back on
Old 10-09-2009, 08:18 AM

Further reading reveals the following...

In the engineering paper – which is based around validated computer modelling of flows – six different front defector configurations were tried. The first was of the base model car without deflectors, while the following five configurations trialled front wheel deflectors of different sizes and shapes.

(With all these numbers, the higher the number, the greater the effect. So a higher front lift number indicates greater front lift, a higher drag number indicates greater drag, etc.)

[EDIT] you already read the article whilst I was figuring out how to post the table here.
I'll leave the post as a summary for those that don't want to read the whole article.

Thanks Owen for broadening my education. That's what I love about this forum you can learn something new virtually everyday.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't have these on my car... worth being fitted?
Old 10-09-2009, 08:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Any ideas what the rear ones were for btw? Everyone seems to be getting a little hyped about the front and forgot about the rear
Old 10-09-2009, 08:33 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Rear you mean spats/strakes?

They re-direct the air flow off the rear wheels at 'high' speeds.

Actually quite a few cars have these or are built in, i dont like them TBH.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:38 AM

Intriguing!

I saw this and thought - I've not got them?!?

And I haven't! Had a look at the car and there are bolt holes on the under tray that look like they may hold them (though it's dark I can't see too well).

Then referred to the S2000 MY04> brochure - no sign of them there either?

Anyone else MY04> not got them? Were they removed when the front bumper was redesigned and bigger wheels added?

For what it's worth I agree with the sentiment here - unless you have a wind tunnel best not to play with the aero on a car like this. Hence why if I should have them - I'm going to get them!!!

Quick Reply: why did Honda put these here...