UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Why Alpine?

Old 06-16-2009 | 02:49 AM

The two brands are pretty much the same.

I bought mine ages ago, but I don't think you need anything else (I bought the harness too, and ended up with two).

There should be a small wire that clips into the black pod in the pic, and has a 9mm jack for the headunit. This is the extra bit for the dash control.

There are also single peice ariel adaptors, a few quid from Halfords. About an inch long and silver. But they break and pull apart real easy.
Old 06-16-2009 | 03:11 AM

Personally I've always felt Pioneer to be about the best in car Audio - but that is what it is, my personal opinion always had a nice rounded sound to them

Kenwoods/Apines have always seemed over bassy for me - and I cant help but link them with the Vauxhall Nova 'Crew' - so have always been put off :0

Sony's are nice, but too expensive for what you get..
and Bose - well, drool and dream.
Old 06-16-2009 | 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by Mr JP,Jun 16 2009, 10:53 AM
Yes I beleive it is more to do with retaining the OEM dash functions.

I'm now in a similar position, I'm just about to change from the standard unit to something else with Ipod connectivity, I've been looking at the Alpine IDA-X305 but I am unsure of what else I need, I definately don't want the Modifry DCI as it's far too expensive, but wondering what I need to retain dash functions and radio antenna as I read somewhere an ariel adaptor is required.

It really would make my day if someone could say, right JP, you need Autoleads PC.... such and such and this and this and this and you can begin tearing up your dash
I had the Alpine X305 with KCEBT400 bluetooth adapter with in car tec dash adapter controls

Works a treat for me! Sounds is of usual Alpine Quality

All my previous HUs have been Pioneer but opted for the Alpine based on Price performance and Upgrading costs

Only thing is that when you close the cover you have to press on the left hand side of it to avoid pressing the jog commander when you open it. This doesn't cause any problems though
Old 06-16-2009 | 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by Mr JP,Jun 16 2009, 11:27 AM
Bibbs thanks pal, I take it the incartec dash controls and Autoleads are much the same? Do I still just buy the Autoleads S2000 harness as well?
No you dont need to buy the autoleads adapter

The incar tec comes in 2 parts

The vehicle loom which allows the interface of your aftermarket stereo then the dash control lead which allows dash controls to the HU
Old 06-16-2009 | 04:17 AM
UK Moderator
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by champion_hero,Jun 16 2009, 12:11 PM
Personally I've always felt Pioneer to be about the best in car Audio - but that is what it is, my personal opinion always had a nice rounded sound to them

Kenwoods/Apines have always seemed over bassy for me - and I cant help but link them with the Vauxhall Nova 'Crew' - so have always been put off :0

Sony's are nice, but too expensive for what you get..
and Bose - well, drool and dream.
Pioneer are very good, but anything Bose is always overpriced and not very good, applies to home and in-car.

If you want real high quality, then Mackintosh or Nakamichi are your friends (or perhaps some of the Mark Levinson or B&W bespoke solutions offered in things like Jags and Lexuses).
Old 06-16-2009 | 04:20 AM

Bose - well, drool and dream.
Buy Other Sound Equipment.

Bose are famously overrated.
Old 06-16-2009 | 04:47 AM

My RX8 had a "7 speaker amplified BOSE audio solution" - or some other such nonsense they called it..... Most overrated setup I've ever heard!

Oh and a real PITA to change!
Old 06-16-2009 | 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by eSeM,Jun 16 2009, 10:39 AM
Alpine were the first to have a simple, plug in, interface that worked with the dash controls. Simple as that.

Even now they still have a wider selection on DCI's both Alpine & none Alpine.
Old 06-16-2009 | 05:58 AM

Original S2000 99-01 tape decks were Bose and sh1te!
Old 06-16-2009 | 09:26 AM

I replaced the cassette player with a Pioneer DEH4100SD, mainly because it has an SD card slot. As there is nowhere to store your CD's in the S2k, and if you use a USB device the radio flap won't shut, the SD cards are a boon. Approx

Quick Reply: Why Alpine?