UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.
View Poll Results: Have you had an oil filter fail?
OEM filter loosen or popped off
19.23%
OEM filter burst / lost seal
19.23%
Aftermarket filter loosen or popped off
50.00%
Aftermarket filter burst / lost seal
11.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Who's had an oil filter pop off or other failure?

Old 11-18-2011, 04:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When tightening or securing any threaded fastening, the correct 'bolt tension' can only be induced by factoring in the following.....

1) The metallurgical properties of both the male and the female threaded components. (i.e. grade of steel utilised etc..)

2) The coefficient of friction of all component parts. (Hence the requirement for the correct lubrication to reduce the induce friction)

3) The compression properties of washers (in the case of bolts/nuts), or the seals in the case of our oil filters.

Other variables could include wear of stem thread form, accuracy of the thread form of the female component etc...

Given the above info I fail to understand why anyone would install an item as crucial as an oil filter, from an (as yet) unproven source when the vehicle manufacturer has invested a Global Company's reputation on providing the correct filter for the correct application.

Sorry ....just thought I'd add to wealth of opinion out there.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:53 AM

Your average S2000 owner it seems

Old 11-18-2011, 06:43 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Lifecrisis, as a Mech Eng working with this subject on a daily basis, I understand

Ignorance must be bliss for some.

Biggest factor affecting desired torque settings is the frictional coefficient... ie what lubricant is used, if any...
Old 11-18-2011, 12:21 PM

Received 134 Likes on 115 Posts

Which is what I mentioned earlier but in a bit more of a simplistic way. The older these cars, get then surely, some slight wear to the male thread on the block. Non OEM may not have the absolute exact perfect mating property, resulting in the vibration and filter movement. I think personally, whatever anyone else thinks, that not tight enough can also be reason for the past engine fires (as well as the perhaps rather worn thread / shite non-OEM filter thread)
Got to say though, for safety's sake, i'd use the filter wrench to shift that filter on so its super tight. But for me, I think the oil filter tool thingy that joins to the engine mount is not necessary. I check the oil weekly, and visual check the filter.
I think there's good ideas on the forum, this for some is one of them and each to their own and all..
Old 11-30-2011, 01:51 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Another thread here:

https://www.s2ki.com/...l-filter-loose/

Hand tightened / incorrect filter.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by lifecrisis
Given the above info I fail to understand why anyone would install an item as crucial as an oil filter, from an (as yet) unproven source when the vehicle manufacturer has invested a Global Company's reputation on providing the correct filter for the correct application.

Sorry ....just thought I'd add to wealth of opinion out there.
Because they get it wrong too

Although, since this is the revision item/procedure, you'd hope they'd have it licked by now.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MB
Another thread here:

https://www.s2ki.com/...l-filter-loose/

Hand tightened / incorrect filter.
the post speaks for itself, but to paraphrase it.... after <40miles its loose.
sounds like someone needs to put down their spanners and pay for it to be done.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:03 AM

Two and a half years ago I had a OEM filter spin loose on me during a spirited drive through the hills. There is a large asterisk that I attach to this incident though. I had a Filter Mag attached to the filter and I am sure it wasn't quite tight enough as well, and my solid mounts probably didn't help the situation either. So if your filter isn't quite tight enough, you but a giant magnet on the side of it, and then shake the hell out of it for a few days it might come off.

3 months later it started knocking and I picked up a low mileage engine out of a totaled 2006

Video someone took shortly after it happened, skip to 2:15
My link
Old 12-01-2011, 10:18 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by funster
Originally Posted by motogp1,May 10 2008, 07:16 AM
.....And the one chris franklin fitted, i think there was a thread about that one, if i remember it was fitted to a newish car......
Yeah, that was me. Probably.
I can remember that Jel had a trashed engine after chris franklin fitted an aftermarket oil filter that fell off
Old 12-01-2011, 10:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You're lucky you noticed it in time!

I had a similar thing with the filter on my crx basically just tearing in half, while driving on the motorway, I noticed my oil pressure gauge swinging a bit and turned the engine off straight away

Quick Reply: Who's had an oil filter pop off or other failure?