UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Who's changed their own clutch

Old 02-17-2010, 12:49 PM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Who's changed their own clutch

Well, after putting up with the 'clutch buzz' noise for a few thousand miles now I have decided; in words of popeye; that 'I cant stands no more'

That, and I think its going to need replacing after my euro trip to the nurburgring!

I have a full garage full of tools, plenty of knowledge and enthusiasm and also a copy of the s2k service manual.

How long roughly did it take? And is there anything usual I should be aware of when doing the job?

Thanks all.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

make sure you have the honda esm handy!!

don't you have to lift the engine off the mounts to get the box out?
Old 02-17-2010, 12:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't lower the gearbox on your own...you wouldn't want to be crushed

It'll help having two people to put the gearbox back in as well

Make sure you have a substitute for any 'special tools' that are listed in the service manual. Read through the procedure a couple of times too.

Also ensure you have all the parts needed for the job too...release and flywheel bearings etc.

Old 02-17-2010, 01:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes make a cradle for the gearbox that fits into your trolly jack
Old 02-17-2010, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 2 clutches for sale send me a message if you are interested
Old 02-17-2010, 01:40 PM

Hey I know a great Clutch supplier, CTL, they have fantastic deals........
Trouble is they hang on to your money and dont actually give you anything for it, but I hear the clutches are great !

anyone seen one recently ?

Seriously , unless you are a good mechanic with use of a lift/hoist I wouldnt even entertain the idea. Can you imagine how pissed you would be after spending a day struggling taking it out , putting it back and then something is wrong ?
If youve paid someone else, they sort it.
Otherwise you know the deal , its up to you again.
That reason alone would make my decision.
(you will really struggle without the right equipment)

TT
Old 02-17-2010, 01:54 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If you can get the whole car onto four ramps by driving/jacking it up then you can do it.
But you need a degree of strength to raise the box up into place and its rock hard laying on your back.
Not done the S2K but plenty of other RWDs.
I'm with TT, can you rent a pillar lift in your area?
I know you don' technically have to drop the subframe, but normally loosening the engine mounts will help you tip the box down and away from the clutch.
Apart from obvious the only tool that helps and you might not have is a clutch alignment device.
On Fords I used to scavenge an old gearbox shaft as it has the correct splines to align the friction plate under the pressure plate.
You can, at a push, use a socket/bar of similar sizes and a craftsmans eye.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:05 AM

when I've purchased ACT clutches in the past, they've come with a free alignment tool.

That's about all the input I can have on this one I'm afraid!

I've done two fwd clutches, but the engine was on a bench on one occasion. Not sure I'd fancy trying to do the S2k one simply because I could imagine it being one of those jobs where one gets 80% the way through and gets to a bolt that can't be shifted or something..been there before.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Workshop maual says drop the subframe (to get ot top bolts on housing)
A couple of people have done it with.
Other than that the hard parts are getting space to and pyhsically dropping the gearbox.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:51 AM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

I did three clutches on my lude, and cannot count how many other FWD applications I have done on civics, integras, few fords and couple of vauxhall's etc.

However my only RWD experience has been with an old supra, and a few ford commercial vehicles.

I have the clutch alignment tool, and as Keith2.2 said, sometimes the kits come with an alignment tool (my exedy/fidanza combo's have all come with a plastic one.

I can get the car nice and high on ramps/axle stands, but as stated a rented pillar lift would be ideal.

Anyone know of one in/around the essex area?

I also have some willing chums who would help me out. As mentioned the hardest part of all clutch changes has got to be getting the bleeding box back up. Especially the m2b4 on my lude. The outright weight wasn't the problem, but when lying on cold concrete with the arm movement and lifting range of a t-rex, it weighs about 9 tonnes!

Quick Reply: Who's changed their own clutch