UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Who is the muppet?

Old 05-24-2004, 07:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...me

I filled up my oil last night after a 700 miles roundtrip to Glasgow and a thrash around the country roads, my oil level was looking dangerously low!

What did I forget to do? Yep, you've probably guessed it - I forgot to put my filler cap back on. This morning I get in my car to drive to work, put the top down and luckily decide to have a leisurely drive to work. I got to set of lights and thought about the burning oil smell, but dismissed there being a problem as I remembered spilling a little. Then I thought, why is my car making a deep noise at certain points on the throttle, and then it hit me, I remembered, I could picture the oil filler cap on my engine and bad thoughts started flooding into my mind.

I continued to drive to work albeit very slowly with visions of a black engine bay covered in sticky oil. I park up at work and open the bonnet, and it confirms that I did indeed forget the oil filler cap. Luckily for me its lying exactly where I left it, which was lucky after a 10 mile drive to work at 60ish. The oil has come out, but only behind the filler bit and some on my bonnet. I'm sure with a good bit of hot water and fairy liquid it will come off with a little bit os scrubbing.

I did think I would have to get a new filler cap, get the engine steam cleaned and go through the embarrassment with my dealer, but I have been very lucky! Worst thing is I actually thought I made a mental note not to forget to screw it back on... oh well.
Old 05-24-2004, 07:11 AM

This thread should be moved by the moderators to the muppet section

Nightmare, good luck with the clean up op.

G
Old 05-24-2004, 07:14 AM

Could have been so much worse, Andy......
Old 05-24-2004, 07:15 AM

Next we'll be hearing that you mislaid your 710 cap.
Old 05-24-2004, 07:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by moff
I could picture the oil filler cap on my engine and bad thoughts started flooding into my mind.

I continued to drive to work albeit very slowly with visions of a black engine bay covered in sticky oil. .
I cant believe that you didnt pull over at this profound moment of realisation
Old 05-24-2004, 07:22 AM

i did this too after an oil change, i was lucky also to have it lying exactly where i left it, and yor right about it sounding deeper thats what made me pull over and check... i had a few specs of oil around the cap easily wiped away now everythings back, would be a good excuse to buy a chrome mugen filler cap as seen on ebay.
Old 05-24-2004, 07:23 AM

IIRC a few people have done this. Kobe was one I think. You should also check that the filler cap is screwed on tight on a periodic basis. Certainly an earlier thread mentioned that these could actually work their way loose if they weren't 100% tight in the first place.
Old 05-24-2004, 07:34 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ianl
Old 05-24-2004, 07:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 05-24-2004, 07:59 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Cover electrical bits
Spray with Gunk
Jet Wash

Works a treat