UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Who has gone from S to DC5 or the other way round?

Old 04-03-2007, 05:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was me that bought Si's silver one (pictured above) after owning a silverstone 2000MY S2000. A few points that I find are worthy of a mention are:

I prefered the S2000's Electric P/S as I found it far more direct and accurate and also found it easier to place on the road (you can see where the bonnet ends) whereas in the teg I can see as far as the wipers ( I am short though )The Grip from the DC5 is awesome, it grips like a 4wd car. you can throw it around corners even in the wet without any nasty suprises. It has very little body roll and strong brakes, though the s2000's brakes are very good also.

The DC5 is slightly more relaxing and also quieter to drive, but can be driven hard when your in the mood to (I wouldnt describe it as cosseting though!) , its also more practical, more tuneable (KPro etc.)

The S2000 has a better ride IMO. Its a lot more forgiving and less crashy and it and when pushing it hard it doesnt suffer from the dreaded torque steer being that its RWD.

I ran the S2K on 98ron and same with the DC5. The DC5 returns slightly better MPG when driven gently but on VTEC it appears to use up slightly more than the s2000 did.

Its difficult to say which is the better car. People ask me if I think the DC5 is better than the S and I tell them its not "better" its "different"
Old 04-03-2007, 05:37 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks Dan!

Which would you say "feels" quicker.

And which would you choose to do track days in?
Old 04-03-2007, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Dark Blue Mark,Apr 3 2007, 05:37 AM
Thanks Dan!

Which would you say "feels" quicker.

And which would you choose to do track days in?
I would say that on a straight road the s2k feels quicker (once its on VTEC) though the DC5 has a more flexible engine and pulls better lower down. On the corners I find that the DC5 is much quicker though. It gives you more confidence to push it (on the road at least) On a track that might be a different story? Though you can pull silly speeds in the Teg and the diff keeps pulling the nose in to the corner, reducing the amont of understeer. The first time I really pushed it round a tight left hander not far from my house (which the S used to get very twitchy on) it merely scoffed at me, encouraging me to push harder. Of all the cars I have owned in my life, this would kill them on the corners. That includes 2 scoobys, 2 ludes, a civic vti and the s2000. All of which handled well IMO
Old 04-03-2007, 05:54 AM
MB

Interesting.

Im not expecting anything to grip like my Evo but that does sound encouraging...
Old 04-03-2007, 06:03 AM

I couldnt comment on an Evo but the Teg certainly understeers far less that either of my scoobs did. (93WRX and 97 UK turbo) and grips not much worse. (in the dry at least)
Old 04-03-2007, 07:09 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by mugen888,Apr 2 2007, 04:12 PM
heres my friends modded dc5 with pretty much all the mugen bits you can get

That's got a bit wilder-fronted since I sat in it!

Love the MF-10s, though!

Neil,

I'm interested that the traction was improved by the engine mounts and the poor ride can be dialled-out a bit. Any more details?

JML,

You're right; you cannot really compare it with the S2000. Or the 'Lude.

But it's a lot more, uh, enthusiast's/Hondaphile's/worthwhile car than say a CTR. Which feels like a pointless, chavved-up Austin Maxi.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:55 AM

But the two (CTR and ITR) are so similar I don't see how you can say that of one and not the other. Just about 20bhp separates them otherwise they are like carbon copies of each other IMO.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:28 AM
MB

Not so sure - no LSD which is a major thing, and the Brembo calipers. Im sure there are some other things. Plus its great that you can buy it in a version where you no weight adding extras in the B pack (no rear wipe, elec fold mirrors, start button stuff etc)

A "true" Type R ethos for me.

Id still never ever take a CTR over a DC5. Im not sure the CTR is Type R enough to be as the badge suggests...
Old 04-03-2007, 11:12 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by trinis2001,Apr 3 2007, 05:55 PM
But the two (CTR and ITR) are so similar I don't see how you can say that of one and not the other. Just about 20bhp separates them otherwise they are like carbon copies of each other IMO.
It's really odd, but it's a lot to do with the ITR's more normal driving position.

The EU Civic feels very odd, as if Sir Alec Issigonis designed it. The ITR feels more natural, even if it's a bit of a polio shoe compared to the very low-slung & sporty DC2 'Teg.

But the bespoke interior, the hydraulic steering, the LSD all add up to that 'specialness' over the CTR. It was badged an Acura RSX (which sounds NSFW!) in the US.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by trinis2001,Apr 3 2007, 05:55 PM
There's way more to it than 20bhp. A lot of people on the DC5 forum come over from CTRs and most are amazed at how different the cars are. The LSD in particular makes a big difference.

Quick Reply: Who has gone from S to DC5 or the other way round?