UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Whining noise coming from engine under load

Old 04-10-2015, 01:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whining noise coming from engine under load

Hi,

As per title, I have a whine that occurs during acceleration at pretty much all throttle positions when you get to around 2500rpm up to about 4500rpm (probably gets drowned out after that). It is most noticeable in gears 2,3 and 4. It sounds to me from my experience of other cars like a belt/pulley on the way out. What is the interval for belts and pulleys on these? My car is a 2005.

I did have a search and found this thread https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/103...#entry22652579

But nothing conclusive appears to have come from it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My car is booked in for a service in May but am thinking about pulling it forward to get this checked out as it is becoming annoying! I will be able to get a video of the noise tomorrow.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:43 AM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

The belt is pretty much the easiest job in the world to do on an S2000 and while its off you can check for play on all the bearings. Im sure when i first got mine it was quite noisy and a new belt quietened it down alot.

Just make sure you take a photo of the belt in situ before you take it off as its easy to forgot how it went on. Waterpump also runs off of that belt and i remember seeing a video where the water pump pulley was wobbling around so bearing failures must occur occasionally.

Point two shows how easy it is

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/769...rpentine-belt/
Old 04-10-2015, 01:44 AM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Have you got a standard air box or something aftermarket ? A new ancillary belt is easy to replace (but easier if you have an induction kit of some kind as you don't have to remove the air box) and can be had from GSF car parts http://www.gsfcarparts.com/134vg0030

The pulley bearings on mine rattled rather than whined so go with the belt to rule that out but give the idler and tensioner pullies a wobble to see if you get a lot of movement while you're swapping the belt.

/edit
Ninja'd by Mark !!
Old 04-10-2015, 02:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Supercharger?

Old 04-10-2015, 02:04 AM

I'm a CAD designer by trade so while I'm great with a computer mouse I'm not great with spanners. This is the sort of job that I would definitely get a garage to do, one because I don't want to do the job wrong and two because if something does go wrong I can get the garage to rectify it at their cost. As said my car is booked in at TGM in may so i'll just get them to do it. Thanks for your response though Mark. I've moved out of cheshunt BTW so you won't see me around so much any more.

Curious to know what the interval is as I can't see any history of it being done. I'll have a look at that service sheet lovegroova always posts in a bit.

Ben, I do have an after market filter similar to a K&N.
Old 04-10-2015, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by mikefifth
Supercharger?

My S is turbo diesel so that got ruled out straight away.
Old 04-10-2015, 02:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by japcrap
Originally Posted by mikefifth' timestamp='1428660082' post='23573044
Supercharger?

My S is turbo diesel so that got ruled out straight away.
In that case make sure the whining isn't coming from the misses.

Being a CAD designer is no excuse for lack of spanner expertise! I'm an Architectural technician / Building Surveyor, and use various forms of CAD + other design software and I still know which way to hold a spanner!

Go get your hand dirty, its good fun!
Old 04-10-2015, 02:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should put your girlfriend in the passenger seat and not in the engine bay.
Old 04-10-2015, 03:32 AM

Mike, I'm not bad with spanners maybe I was a little harsh on myself there. I did a lot of fabrication when I was at college and uni and help mates work on their cars all the time. I don't know why but when it comes to my own car I just like to pay a professional to do it instead. Especially with engine related things.

To be fair, my girlfriend does whine in my car all the time to the point that we hardly go out in it together. She thinks it's too loud and revvy and she always says I drive like a maniac if I'm ever cornering above 30mph.
Old 04-10-2015, 04:14 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by japcrap
Mike, I'm not bad with spanners maybe I was a little harsh on myself there. I did a lot of fabrication when I was at college and uni and help mates work on their cars all the time. I don't know why but when it comes to my own car I just like to pay a professional to do it instead. Especially with engine related things. To be fair, my girlfriend does whine in my car all the time to the point that we hardly go out in it together. She thinks it's too loud and revvy and she always says I drive like a maniac if I'm ever cornering above 30mph.
I kind of agree with the professional bit and engines..but overtime you can learn a lot and get more confident. There is also the angle that fixing your mates cars sees them going through the gates on fire rather than you

Quick Reply: Whining noise coming from engine under load