UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

When they begin the Beguine (sorry, the Megane)

Old 02-21-2004, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When they begin the Beguine (sorry, the Megane)

Just back from two weeks in Tenerife, into this awful 2 degrees celsius - quite a shock from 25 degrees with 8 hours sunshine.

Avis provided me with a Renault Megane as my hire car, the one with the derriere. I didn't seem to have any difficulty starting up the engine at the airport, but that was probably because I was intrigued to see it had a start button and I wasn't really taking note of what I did.

A different matter when I came to restart the car at the hotel - I just couldn't get it to fire. Insert the key card - press start button - no joy. Look at the instructions on the little screen (in Spanish, of course). It says 'Inserte Tajete'. Ok I have done that. It then says 'disembarge - start 0'. So, what does disembarge mean? Must be 'make sure the car is in Neutral'. Check that it is, press start button - nothing happens. Repeat the procedure, this time depressing the accelerator pedal. Again, nothing. Try it with the handbrake off -nothing. Look at the maker's handbook. Again, in Spanish it tells me to 'disembarge'. Take the handbook to the hotel receptionist and ask for a translation. No-one can tell me. In desperation I ask a Porter to have a try. He fiddles around and then, vroom vroom - engine starts. What has he done? Depressed the Clutch pedal. The car will only start if the Start button is pressed with the clutch pedal fully depressed. And I thought the French were a logical nation.

I felt more of a derriere than the car. In fact, as Napoleon said in his characteristic pose with one hand inside his topcoat, I felt a right tit.

But why, oh why, does the clutch pedal have to be depressed? The gear lever was in neutral, so why the need to floor the clutch pedal as well?

Having been used to my lads' nippy little Clio, I though I might enjoy the Megane, but no - it was a real derriere in other ways. The brakes had two positions - on or off. The car wallowed sideways around the hairpin bends in the hills, going from mild understeer to serious oversteer without warning. And this is a brand new car. How I longed to have the S2000 under my own derriere.

Unlike Madeira last year where I did wave frantically at an 'S' (much to the confusion of the driver 'cos I was standing at a bus stop at the time), I didn't see a single S2000. Come to think of it, I didn't see a single Honda of any description in Tenerife, nor any sign of a Honda dealer. And we let Spain into the EC.
Old 02-21-2004, 10:48 AM

Not an unusual thing, not everybody would make sure the car is in neutral before starting. I beleive you have to do the same on the 350z. Going to Tenerife in Sept. must remember not to hire a Megane, thanks for the tip VMC.
Old 02-21-2004, 10:53 AM

Originally posted by honpar
Not an unusual thing, not everybody would make sure the car is in neutral before starting. I beleive you have to do the same on the 350z. Going to Tenerife in Sept. must remember not to hire a Megane, thanks for the tip VMC.
Yes, I can understand that may seem logical to the French, but if the car has been left in gear then letting out the clutch pedal after starting would cause the car to leap forwards (or backwards)!
Old 02-21-2004, 11:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a lot of bikes need to have the clutch pulled in on start up.
I have always buried the clutch anyway just to help the motor turn over when cold , thats what having had old cars teaches you ( consul 375 and Mk1 Cortinas etc )
Old 02-21-2004, 12:34 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

You may have got a bad one.

I had the 1.9 TD last year and thought it was excellent, in a neutral, efficient sort of way. Still, personal impressions can be very different.

Maybe I got a good one.

Old 02-21-2004, 01:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

S2000 JDM's have the same switch on the clutch...it has to be depressed to start. Not a problem unless you want to start the car whilst standing up
Old 02-22-2004, 02:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Talking of the 350z I think the Renault engine is a good reason not to buy one (have you ever known a Renault owner whose car didn't fall to bits expensively?)!
Old 02-22-2004, 03:11 AM

Well it's French.
Once again we are reminded why it only took the Germans 4 days to invade them in world war 2.
Old 02-22-2004, 06:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts