UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

When to replace tyres

Old 08-19-2014, 11:14 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey81
It does seem wrong fitting new tyres and then using them on track
Tell the formula 1 guys that, up to three sets of fresh tyres(if thy have them) per race.

What would seem wrong is the logic of using old tyres in a demanding environment.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by richmc
Originally Posted by Mikey81' timestamp='1408454732' post='23293005
Tell the formula 1 guys that, up to three sets of fresh tyres(if thy have them) per race.

What would seem wrong is the logic of using old tyres in a demanding environment.
That is why i made sure i put the comment about it being a road car, on a dedicated race car its a no brainer that you would use the best available to you
Old 08-20-2014, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Mikey81
Originally Posted by richmc' timestamp='1408518850' post='23294230
[quote name='Mikey81' timestamp='1408454732' post='23293005']

That is why i made sure i put the comment about it being a road car, on a dedicated race car its a no brainer that you would use the best available to you
[/quote]

Makes no difference if it's a road car or not, you still are going to need decent tyres ON TRACK, helps you stop being dead or wrecking your car, and anything that helps that is good. You may as well do no prep at all and pootle around the track doing 40mph.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:25 AM

I know this doesn't conform with most of the above, but I took my car on the track with just over 2mm (I think?) on the rears. I was slightly worried about them being illegal by the time I finished but wasn't the case. I planned to replace them straight afterwards, for the exact same reason, and personally speaking, it didn't ruin my enjoyment either. In fact, the car surprised me how well it gripped TBH. I am however by no means a track day expert..
Old 08-20-2014, 01:30 PM

Yeah, I'll be changing them a few days before
Old 08-20-2014, 02:08 PM

Not sure I agree with everything here.

Decent tyres and decent tyres regardless of tread level.

Sure worn tyres are worse in the wet as they cant shift water as well. However in the dry just because they are worn doesnt mean they suddenly lose a load of grip compared to new - infact the lower tread can help, firstly less movement will help with feel on the track and secondly, the lower amount of tread will help keep the surface temperatures down as there is less distortion and less heat generated.

Now its hard to comment without seeing them or knowing how you drive, but in my experience the S2000 - when driven smoothly - isn't too bad for tyre wear.

Keep and eye on pressures at the end of the session as this will help the tyre run at the correct operating temps.

Brucies bonus is worn tyres are lighter too
Old 08-20-2014, 11:09 PM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

OK. Some actual experience.

Having driven on both damp and dry tracks with fairly well-worn tyres (2-3mm left) and new-ish tyres, I can report that grip levels and cornering speeds were much better with the new-ish tyres, the effect being more pronounced in the damp of course.

Given bikky's track day is at Croft, which is oop norf, it's more than likely to be damp/wet, so newer tyres make a lot of sense.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
OK. Some actual experience.

Having driven on both damp and dry tracks with fairly well-worn tyres (2-3mm left) and new-ish tyres, I can report that grip levels and cornering speeds were much better with the new-ish tyres, the effect being more pronounced in the damp of course.

Given bikky's track day is at Croft, which is oop norf, it's more than likely to be damp/wet, so newer tyres make a lot of sense.
And for anyone who doesn't, please check your IQ level next time you check your oil........It may have dropped.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:34 AM

Well on these notes... I'd always assumed as per lovegroova's comments. Also WRT F1 comments, yes they use new tyres, BUT given the chance they also run slicks.

They also run SOFT tyres for better tread, hence 3 lots of tyres per race (same as track day tyres for amatures).

I'd like to think I drive fairly smoothly (I'm certainly not stamping my foot down).

Also even in the damp, I've been trying to break free gradually on corners and not able to, even in the damp (actually I can if I STOMP the throttle at higher revs, but I've already stated I don't stomp).

BUT aside from all this, I've decided I'm going to get new tyres just before the day, So my last mm or so of tread is being beaten about at the moment
Old 08-21-2014, 01:05 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by bikky
BUT aside from all this, I've decided I'm going to get new tyres just before the day, So my last mm or so of tread is being beaten about at the moment
Enjoy!

Quick Reply: When to replace tyres