UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

When to replace tyres

Old 08-18-2014, 06:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bikky
My rear Tyres are about to be replaced, they'll probably see me through to October (normally)

However. In early September I'm at Croft. Now I guess after a day there, my tyres will probably need replacing before Oct, So my quandry is, replace before and be perfectly legal coming home, OR save on big tyre wear and keep the existing tyres on, then replace them when I get home (noting I might be a little on the ahem side of things)

I know for legal reasons etc everyone will say get them done before, but was just wondering what the consensus was. and what others have done.

On the basis that If I go for replace afterwards, I'll have somewhere booked, after that weekend to replace them, so in the event of being pulled and checked over, I will have the excuse of already being booked to replace them. I know that's no excuse in the eyes of the law, but if I'm only borderline I may get away with it.

What's peoples experience with these things? and how much scrub would be expected on a TD in these cars. It's first time in this car, last one, a full set of tyres lasted 7k on my Astra after a fair few HOONING sessions.

Ta.
Hi Bikky,

On a recent blast at the last N.Yorkshire meet, the tail end felt like it was stepping out and I felt really uneasy about the car.
I couldn't get any decent temperature into them, and had lost all confidence at each bend (and it was dry!)

The reason was both back tyres were well down and the near-side one in particular

Two new Bridgestones on the rear and it's a different car. 100% confidence returned.

Speaking as someone who HAS spun going through 'Jim Clark Esses', I would definitely advise new tyres mate
Old 08-18-2014, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Wow, 4 tyres are around £400, so your insurance must be tiny, lucky you.

Well... Tyres are about 130-135 for Eagle F1's,

Insurance is approx £418 a year, with 125 excess

Age my boy... That plus car club discount
Old 08-18-2014, 06:45 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by lovegroova' timestamp='1408359938' post='23291208

Ah yes, I forget that you 17" chaps have more to pay. I'm 44, so hardly a spring chicken!

Either way, get some new tyres on there. If you amortise the slight extra cost of them over the life of the car, it's bobbins really. Crashing on a track because of poor tyres is very silly, expensive, and time consuming.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:58 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

It's simple,
If they are borderline for the road they will be useless on track, You won't enjoy the day and will have thrown away the cash you spend on the day and the fuel getting to and from. If you wear them by £50 worth of rubber thats less than a tank of super, it's a no brainer change them first. And you are going to feel a right prick if the day turns out to be wet and you can't keep it on track.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:28 PM

Having recently done a track day on newish tyres, get them changed first.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:09 PM

I just put a fresh set of 070's on the back of mine and i had just a little over 2mm left. I would not want any less than that tbh.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by lovegroova' timestamp='1408359938' post='23291208

It might sound daft but have a look at Asda Tyres online.

They beat anyone and you get them fully fitted at your local tyre fitter.

2 x rear RE050 17's just cost me £121 each fully fitted and balanced (with nitrogen as well)
Old 08-19-2014, 02:49 AM

Sold... will get them done 1st week in Sept sometime...

Now just what to go for,

Should I keep the Eagle F1's or go with Revolutions suggestion of some I've never heard of "Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas"

I'm thinking the Goodyears, I can get them fitted at my house for only £10 more than the Sessantas will cost, and I have to drive 28mile round trip for those.

What I want is a pair that will stick like glue in the dry, In the wet perform like they were in dry, on ice/snow perform like they were on the wet, last 1000000 miles, and cost less than £50 fitted per pair, and roll silently.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:02 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

+1 for the Goodyear's, I had Vredestien on my CRX a few years back, totally amazing tyres but an unknown quantity on the S2000 that is very picky on tyres.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:25 AM

The goodyears are very nice, at Oulton Park I had fairly minimal wear just the outer edge on the front left really.

It does seem wrong fitting new tyres and then using them on track in a road car but you will enjoy the day more not worrying about the old tyres/getting the new ones fitted before driving home etc

Quick Reply: When to replace tyres