UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

When to replace tyres

Old 08-18-2014, 12:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When to replace tyres

My rear Tyres are about to be replaced, they'll probably see me through to October (normally)

However. In early September I'm at Croft. Now I guess after a day there, my tyres will probably need replacing before Oct, So my quandry is, replace before and be perfectly legal coming home, OR save on big tyre wear and keep the existing tyres on, then replace them when I get home (noting I might be a little on the ahem side of things)

I know for legal reasons etc everyone will say get them done before, but was just wondering what the consensus was. and what others have done.

On the basis that If I go for replace afterwards, I'll have somewhere booked, after that weekend to replace them, so in the event of being pulled and checked over, I will have the excuse of already being booked to replace them. I know that's no excuse in the eyes of the law, but if I'm only borderline I may get away with it.

What's peoples experience with these things? and how much scrub would be expected on a TD in these cars. It's first time in this car, last one, a full set of tyres lasted 7k on my Astra after a fair few HOONING sessions.

Ta.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:06 AM

Received 134 Likes on 113 Posts

Get a mobile tyre fitter to do it at the track at the end of the day.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:49 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

First of all, on a track day, you tend to wear the tyres on the edges rather than the more central bits you use for every day driving, unless you are some sort of drift king or utterly inept and keep spinning the car. Wear is not normally that high (depending on what tyres you're using of course).

However, I'd advise changing the tyres before the track day as you want the maximum amount of grip you can get so as to avoid ending up in the barriers (like one chap on here who decided to "use up" his worn tyres at Cadwell).

FWIW I usually change mine at about 3mm.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:13 AM

Why wouldn't you want the best tyres on the car for track use?

Echo the above that it is the edges that get mullered on track, provided you've reset the pressures.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:34 AM

Mine are getting close to the marker, I'm torn between finishing them off on track, or going for maximum grip of newer tyres, but reducing their life coming up to winter.

I feel I'm fairly competent at NOT sliding so far, learned my lessons in the first 2 weeks of owning an s2k. I've been trying, particularly in wet, to gradually break the traction point for practice, and not succeeding, unless I jam my foot down in VTEC, which I'm not prone to doing.... smoothly does it.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:05 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

If they are close to the marker, definitely replace them now as there is a marked decrease in performance of the tyres when below 3mm, never mind when below 2mm.

The additional cost when amortised over the life of the car is tiny (and I expect a new set of tyres costs less than your insurance excess).
Old 08-18-2014, 03:53 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Agree with tyre-fitter at track. I used Event-Tyres recently (not at track mind you) and they did the lot in a carpark in about 25 mins. Spot on service.

Plus you can start wearing them in on the way home.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
(and I expect a new set of tyres costs less than your insurance excess).

Errm not quite, A single tyre might be less than my excess, but my insurance PLUS excess for a year is cheaper than 4 tyres, but I do get your meaning.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:44 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Originally Posted by bikky
Originally Posted by lovegroova' timestamp='1408359938' post='23291208
(and I expect a new set of tyres costs less than your insurance excess).

Errm not quite, A single tyre might be less than my excess, but my insurance PLUS excess for a year is cheaper than 4 tyres, but I do get your meaning.
Wow, 4 tyres are around £400, so your insurance must be tiny, lucky you.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:02 AM
jsh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Originally Posted by bikky' timestamp='1408366796' post='23291299
[quote name='lovegroova' timestamp='1408359938' post='23291208'](and I expect a new set of tyres costs less than your insurance excess).

Wow, 4 tyres are around £400, so your insurance must be tiny, lucky you.
[/quote]

The last time I bought tyres they cost in excess of £500 ( goodyear assy 2's)but my last insurance renewal was £230 (comp + everything ) .

Then again my road tax was £495 so swings and roundabouts I think.

Quick Reply: When to replace tyres