UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Wheels In Motion

Old 04-08-2009, 02:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Wheels In Motion

Spent a few hours at WIM today. Didn't get to meet 'the' Tony, but one of his guys, also called Tony, looked after me well.

I've got the fabled fast road geo set-up, plus, on Tony's recommendation, Whiteline adjustable drop links front and rear, set a few mm beyond standard.

Tony 2 explained what I could expect from the geo changes and he was spot on. The change is quite subtle, the car doesn't feel radically different, but the extra control I've got in corners is amazing.

I went home along a favourite road with a mix of sweeping bends and hairpins, and where the car used to pitch into corners, it really 'flows' now because I can feel the grip. Even with mid-corner bumps and accelaration it stayed well composed. Also, when the back steps out under power, which used to be a nervy sensation, it's progressive now and really easy to control without having to back off like I used to. There's a bumpy dual carriage way on the route too, which I used to prefer driving big, soft salloon cars on because my S felt so nervous, but it was a breeze today.

Well happy and highly recommended.

As for the drop links, they've taken some of that damned annoying bounce out of the back end. I reckon they could stand to be opened up a bit more though. The rears seem to be a bit clunky/clicky too (anyone else noticed this with Whitelines - will a drop of lube do the trick)?

Tony - if you're reading, what's the rules for further adjustment - do I need to adjust the front and rear at the same rate and how many turns at a time should I do?

I've fitted a front Cusco copy lower brace and a solid ally rear lower brace during the last couple of weeks too, which are very worthwhile and definitely firm things up nicely.

The parts have set me back less that