UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Wheel Warranty claim

Old 06-19-2007, 12:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine are currently a bit dirty, so hard to tell what's diry and what's not. I'll clean them up tomorrow night before I take her in on Thursday, provided I get back from Edinburgh at a reasonable time and it's not raining. Again, if I'm on for some new ones, I'll let you know.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:54 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Mine were filthy too. I just whiped of the brake dust where the corrosion is and they took the pics. Couldn't see the point in spending an hour cleaning wheels that are only going to be chucked anyway.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:01 AM

One of my centre caps is quite badly corroded and i think one of the rear wheels is starting to show signs of corrosion too.Let us all know how you get on with the claim and i reckon we'll all start having a moan to Honda.Mine will be in for a service in about 6 months so will probably leave it until then.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:14 AM

05 and 06 wheels appear to be getting replaced ALOT Honda I think accept there is a problem.

I've asked my dealer to put a couple of coats of poorboys wheel sealant on the replacement set so that I don't have to go back to them. Anyone on an 05 plate that is changing their wheels would be well advised to get some wheel sealant on as soon as they get the replacement set because your warranties will run out before the wheels corrode again.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:59 AM

Yeh thats a definate for the sealant.I think i may go in a bit earlier if they are recognising there is a problem...I wonder if we can buy the corroded alloys back at a cheap cheap price?
Old 06-19-2007, 10:28 AM

Received 254 Likes on 219 Posts

I got a couple of sets of wheels replaced on my type r, no way would Honda letme keep the old ones, apparently sometimes Honda ask for them back or even ask for proof of destruction of faulty warranty items.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Bandit_287,Jun 19 2007, 09:59 AM
I wonder if we can buy the corroded alloys back at a cheap cheap price?
No.

The wheels on mine were still packaged up so the service guy promised to put a couple of coats on for me, I gave him the sealant and said that it was important he get the inside done with a couple of coats, outside not so much as I'll do that myself.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:09 AM

Claim has gone through. New wheels and centre caps waiting at the dealers. All i need now is some new rears to put on them!

EDIT: which i've now got.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:50 AM

Went in for the 27k service almost two weeks back now I guess. I walked out quite annoyed with myself, having dropped the car off. I didn't know the guy on the desk; the girl I know was on holiday and the other guy had left apparently.

I told this new guy that my wheels had corroded on the front and that the backs were strarting as well. He said they'd look but Honda would probably only replace the front ones if the backs weren't that bad but they'd tart up the rears if so - I questioned him about wheel cleaning acids stripping more Lacquer off and making them more suseptable in the future - he grinned and said something about not if you know what your doing and leave it on for the right amount of time, but surely?

The backs aren't *that* bad really, but I was annoyed with myself for having not just said all my wheels are corroding - I had a feeling they weren't even going to bother looking at the rears because I'd used bad wording. Sure enough they took photos and sent them off (of 2 or 4, I didn't really know). Since then, it occurred to me that I'd not mentioned the centre caps either - bugger! Bad planning this!

Anyway, fear not! Just got a call and they have four new wheels and centre caps in stock for me and they will be fitted tomorrow! Pleased with that result.

My question:

There was talk of "Poorboys Wheel Sealent" above. Is this the one to go for? My mate came up with this stuff as an alternative (bugger; now I have a choice!). Anyone used any of these yet? Lower, I assume you have used the Poorboys now? Where did you get yours from/ is the web-link price OK? Anyone had some on for longer have any comments?

I did ask the guy that called me before if they recommend anything and he said "that's interesting, as I've asked Honda what they recommend and basically, they don't". I quizzed him a little, but he didn't really have any answers, so I said I'd ask on here.

I'll be taking the wheels back off and banging something on next weekend - haven't ordered it yet, but soon will based on your comments that follow!

Finally, if it stops raining before it goes dark, I'll pop out and take some pics of the old ones for anyone to use as a comparison. You might also note that I slightly scuffed the nearside front a while back (never done that before!) but this didn't cause an issue with the claim (although it isn't exactly trashed!)

Cheers,

Neil
Old 07-05-2007, 07:00 AM

I haven't actually put anything on my wheels. The car is only just over a year old and therefore has plenty of warranty left. The original wheels started corroding after about 8 months, so if these wheels have the same problems as the the originals i'll be claiming for new wheels again.

If i do have to have another set of new wheels, i'll probably try something to protect the next set.

I still can't believe that with the number of wheel warranty claims that have gone through that honda hasn't done something about sorting this problem out.

Quick Reply: Wheel Warranty claim