UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Wheel corrosion/Southern Counties Honda

Old 11-06-2002, 12:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel corrosion/Southern Counties Honda

Hi All,

Ok, my mate has yesterday put down a desposit on a 99V S2000 at Southen Counties Honda in Crawley. As I was giving it the once over I noticed that one of the rear wheels (around the centre cap) was beginning to corrode slightly, so I checked the fronts, and there was noticeable corrosion starting on them - not what should be happening, I thought, and then something clicked about maybe I had seen something similar on this message board. So I checked it out after we got back, and as seems to be well known, this is a common problem on 99/2000 cars, with many people seeming to get replacements under warranty. The problem is that the car is out of manufacturers warranty (though by less than 2 months), and the standard used warranty does not cover them.

Has anyone managed to get a new set from Southern Counties? What advice shoould I give my mate? I think he may get a new set, as he is in the position of being able withdraw from the deal (not something the dealer wants, obviously).

Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers

Paul
Old 11-06-2002, 12:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Advise him not to buy unless the dealer changes the wheels. (I think ALL 99/00 and some 01 wheels must have been faulty)

Pete
Old 11-06-2002, 01:18 AM

yes, Southern Counties changed the complete set on mine in February. I am surprised that they do not think of this, before placing cars on the forecourt. I have seen it before on their used cars.

Is it not possible to get the Honda extended warranty on the car, especially if it has been on sale for those two months. IMHO isfthey will not change the wheels, he should go elsewhere. Southern Counties are not the cheapest of places anyway.

Rob
Old 11-06-2002, 01:43 AM

Thanks Rob, that info is very very useful!

Paul
Old 11-06-2002, 04:15 AM

Oh dear....

Things are going very wrong now - Southern Counties are being useless and are refusing (at the moment) to replace the wheels - they are only offering to have the existing ones treated (not acceptable really, esp as my mate is spending
Old 11-06-2002, 04:33 AM

Originally posted by turbotomato
whole hassle of it (they denied any knowledge of problems with S2000 wheels initially) has left a sour taste, and my mate is not a happy man.
Perhaps you mate should buy a forum member's car ? There have been a few for sale lately, and they should be cheaper then Honda. Just get one that's still under warranty. If I was to buy again, I'd probably go this route. I reckon that a Honda dealer adds 1.5k to 2k to whatever they offer as trade-in on a second-hand S.

Chris
Old 11-06-2002, 07:26 AM

It would seem that the sales and service teams at Southern Counties do not really talk to each other. It is almost as if they are from different companies.

I was looking for a Civic 3dr auto for a friend last year. The one at Southern Counties was best described as tired and over priced. I found another which was newer, about 1/3 of the milage and in excellent condition at my local Vauxhall dealer. I had bought new cars from both.

I would suggest that your friend pulls out and looks elsewhere.
Old 11-06-2002, 07:55 AM

I'll second the above.

Southern Counties should lose their franchise.

The Sales people are muppets and the service team are sourced from nearby ponds.

Many episodes with them although I have never given them my car.

I was interested in a Honda Stream to replace our people wagon but I knew more about it than the Salesman did, and I had only done 20 mins reading on them. The car was clearly overpriced and poorly specc'd.

Any queries made of their service dept were handled with a 'dunno mate' or 'bring it in and we'll have a look' or 'that's a new one on me and I've worked here for ages'.

The best one was the Service Manager who said, and I quote, "Oh its an import...I f**king hate imports".

I sarcastically asked him if he f**king hated service revenue but he didn't seem to understand the question.

Go to John Cooper in Ferring. They get all of Southern Cowboys additional business as their reputation is awful

Cooper's had 2 S2000's there several weeks ago, both keenly priced, and they understand them, and so do their service guys, and they all talk to each other, and provide customer service !
Old 11-06-2002, 08:19 AM

Originally posted by Shipley
Go to John Cooper in Ferring. They get all of Southern Cowboys additional business as their reputation is awful

Cooper's had 2 S2000's there several weeks ago, both keenly priced, and they understand them, and so do their service guys, and they all talk to each other, and provide customer service !
No, don't go anywhere near John Cooper with an S2000 for service. They are very nice, helpful people, but do not have a clue. Mine is not the only S2000 to be trashed there.
Old 11-06-2002, 08:26 AM

Maybe things have changed.

The service guy who looked at my car took over 1/2 an hour checking everything and anything on mine (this was over and above the service) whilst I stood next to him. He knew more about the car than anyone I have ever come across

Quick Reply: Wheel corrosion/Southern Counties Honda